Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Technically, you're supposed to pay sales tax on online purchases directly to your state. Physical stores just collect the tax for you.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
http://www.dailytech.com/Amazon+to+Collect+Online+Sales+Taxes+in+Texas+Starting+July+1+2012/article24571.htm

Looks like they will lose a lot of business especially since they are following it up with California and Arizona. I won't be buying from them much anymore may as well just visit a store if I want to pay tax.

I heard about this last week...what a huge bummer.

Time will tell if my usage changes. Free 2 day shipping + no sales tax made it a no brainer - even if the price was the same as a B&M. All good things must come to an end, I guess. :(

----------

Technically, you're supposed to pay sales tax on online purchases directly to your state. Physical stores just collect the tax for you.

This is true - I have an accountant friend who never failed to remind me of this when I bragged about how much money I saved on Christmas. Problem is, nobody actually ever paid it - I know I never did.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
They've been charging sales tax in NY for a few years now. Hasn't changed my buying from them and it hasn't hurt their business in NYS, so they say.

Want to bet that we'll get posts in here from people blasting this and swearing off buying anything from Amazon while at the same time they're over in the Apple taxes thread posting how bad Apple is for using loopholes to avoid paying their taxes?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Want to bet that we'll get posts in here from people blasting this and swearing off buying anything from Amazon while at the same time they're over in the Apple taxes thread posting how bad Apple is for using loopholes to avoid paying their taxes?

:D
Ain't that the truth

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I heard about this last week...what a huge bummer.

Time will tell if my usage changes. Free 2 day shipping + no sales tax made it a no brainer - even if the price was the same as a B&M. All good things must come to an end, I guess. :(

Well...Amazon can thank Texas for costing them a lot of sales from a loyal customer. I was with them when they first started up and only sold books. They were always my first choice when online shopping. Now it'll be mostly low ticket items from them from now on... I guess I'll get a Kindle Fire next month, before the taxes kick in.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I bet on most things, the Amazon price plus sales tax is still cheaper than a B&M store. Especially electronics. Places like Best Buy gouge up the prices.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I bet on most things, the Amazon price plus sales tax is still cheaper than a B&M store. Especially electronics. Places like Best Buy gouge up the prices.

That's not always true. Amazon may charge less for a product until you add shipping, then it can be more, and often it is. Buy a book(used) for $5 and find the shipping is $4.95. No bargain there. Like anywhere else, you need to shop total prices.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Yep. For some people, it seems that it's always up to somebody else to pay the taxes to support the services that they use.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
That's not always true. Amazon may charge less for a product until you add shipping, then it can be more, and often it is. Buy a book(used) for $5 and find the shipping is $4.95. No bargain there. Like anywhere else, you need to shop total prices.

true but there is a big difference between the actual amazon and all the 'associated stores'. some of them are truly horrible, basically scams.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
true but there is a big difference between the actual amazon and all the 'associated stores'. some of them are truly horrible, basically scams.

Exactly. I'm not sure I've ever purchased anything that wasn't actually offered by Amazon themselves.

Amazon is still extremely convenient. I did almost all of my Christmas shopping last year...and having to pay taxes or not - Even paying a little more is probably worth not having to deal with all of the crowds during the Holiday craziness.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The new iPad 16GB site is $564.99 (Free Super Saver Shipping!) at Amazon or $499+Tax at Apple. Next month it will be cheaper to buy it straight from the Apple store (or Best Buy or WalMart or...).

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I'll admit that I don't - unless the site collects it.

Then you have no choice except to shop elsewhere. Unfortunately New York State requires Amazon to collect sales tax with items sold directly by them. I have to say Amazon has the absolute best customer service out there from my experience. It makes it almost worth paying tax for their superb service..

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
They've been charging sales tax in NY for a few years now. Hasn't changed my buying from them and it hasn't hurt their business in NYS, so they say.

Just going to point out that I believe what Apple and other big companies are doing in tax dodging is highly unethical. I also think that this was a long time coming and should of been done a long time ago. It was really hurting brick and mortar stores as they had to pay sales tax so prices there were for me 8.25% higher. Much less the the fact places like Amazon generally are cheaper any how. It is not like Amazon needed another 8.25% edge.

I am honestly glad this happened. It makes the playing field a hell of a lot more fair.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Virginia sales tax coming

Amazon is said to be building a distribution center is VA and as a result will have a physical presence in our state and will start charging sales tax. VA law says citizens are supposed to estimate sales tax that would be charged by retailers like Amazon, but good luck with that.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

It's when people's wallets are hurt is that collecting taxes is bad; otherwise, tax like a madman.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Bummer... :(

I didn't buy a lot from Amazon, but did make a few purchases a year through them. I'll still check their prices and compare even after they start charging tax. It is what it is...

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just going to point out that I believe what Apple and other big companies are doing in tax dodging is highly unethical. I also think that this was a long time coming and should of been done a long time ago. It was really hurting brick and mortar stores as they had to pay sales tax so prices there were for me 8.25% higher. Much less the the fact places like Amazon generally are cheaper any how. It is not like Amazon needed another 8.25% edge.

I am honestly glad this happened. It makes the playing field a hell of a lot more fair.

How is it unethical if it was legal? If it wasn't legal shame on them. If it was legal than good for them for being able to expand their business.

I hope you are not getting the tax item with Apple and other big tech companies for shelving their money off shore mixed up with this.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
How is it unethical if it was legal? If it wasn't legal shame on them. If it was legal than good for them for being able to expand their business.

I hope you are not getting the tax item with Apple and other big tech companies for shelving their money off shore mixed up with this.

legal never has and never should mean it is ethical.

It is is a cake walk to be unethical and legal. Problem is in business ethics have gone out the window.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I for one won't change my buying habits if they start charging sales tax here. I hate to go into B&M stores and love the two-day shipping--if I pay sales tax, so be it, but Amazon won't lose my business because of it.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I for one won't change my buying habits if they start charging sales tax here. I hate to go into B&M stores and love the two-day shipping--if I pay sales tax, so be it, but Amazon won't lose my business because of it.
For some things I will continue to shop at Amazon but this will likely drive me more toward the local B&M stores. For me the only reason for shopping online is if the price is enough cheaper to make the hassle of returns worthwhile. And yes Amazon is certainly the best online retailer when it comes to returns, but a local dealer is always preferable IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.