Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I don't know if this is already a topic but What stuff do you think needs to be brought back?
  • Fix color correction!
  • bring back the preview window

I don't know that's all I can think of...

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
Apple has promised to restore the option of 2 window editing sometime this year as well as RED and MXF support and multi-track audio editing.

Here's a list –not all my own –that covers most everything I am missing.

• Clips must hold the last In/Out points set. Favorite Clip is not quick enough.

• The ability to favorite I/O on Projects not just clips.

• Fix using cmd-b to blade more than one clip at a time.

• Selective keyboard marking of In/Out on secondary clips as well as the Primary Storyline

• Keyboard marking of In/Out works over all tracks to be able to cut out multiple tracks as sections

• Keyframes in Color Correction.

• Snap to Keyframes on tracks other than Primary Storyline option so you can line up keyframes

• Chapter and Compression markers

• Undo History Tool

• Selective Paste Attributes for effects and keyframes

• Remove Attributes –all or selectively of effects on multiple clips

• Out of sync indicators

• Timecode overlay option

• Match frame indicator and removal tool

• Duplicate frames indicator

• Ability to apply an audio dissolve separately from video dissolve

• Motion Tracking

• Matte Drawing Tool with bezier and spline

• Background Noise Removal from SoundTrack Pro –make noise print, adjust threshold

Last edited:

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I wouldn't mind seeing the option to arrange the different panels in my own way across multiple monitors and not a standard way.

edit: Another feature that would be nice is to incorporate the use of the trackpad more with multitouch gestures. The big one being the ability to zoom in and out in the timeline using the pinch/pull apart method. It would be great to be able to place the skimmer where ever and quickly zoom in one motion to the transition for example, check it out or adjust it and then zoom right back out.

Last edited:

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
If you want new features to be added, hit the feedback button inside the app. Apple doesn't read fora, but they read feedbacks.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I was teaching FCPX last night and currently my only beef is to not have the Project Timeline to move right while trimming in point of first clip at zero.
It freaks the students out.
I have to show them to use "shift+z" right away so they panic :)
I guess I can ask for a storyboard option where you can have a special bin (yep I said it) that will let you layout the clips in icon view (of course) in anyway you want to see them.
The above long list is probably doable.
But I love favorites and keywords.
Forces you to organize and manage clips/resources.
Makes you more aware of what you have in your Event for said project :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
So my suggestion about using more gestures in FCPX. I just saw this workaround that looks like a good idea.

http://fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/819-using-gestures-to-edit-with-final-cut-pro-x

YouTube: video

I saw the same video and completely intrigued. To date, I've been using a logitech trackball which I find works great for scrolling through footage and it has a few customizable buttons, but I've been looking at the contour design shuttle v2 as well.

but to the original post, I still can't understand why chapter markers aren't included to export when choosing to export media. I do this to keep backup files and i find the extra step to include them in Compressor is, well, an extra step.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I don't know if this is already a topic but What stuff do you think needs to be brought back?
  • Fix color correction!

Can you expand on this? I know it doesn't have very advanced color correction but I'm not sure what you mean by it needs to be fixed

Unless that is precisely what you mean, that it needs more features like from Color or DaVinci Resolve, etc built in.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
From the free download version, I noticed right away that export "share" options were really limited unless the user also has Compressor.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What I'd like to see most is a classic edit mode (FCP 8, if you will), with numbered A/V tracks and a Viewer/Canvas. Wishful thinking, I'm sure...

Can you expand on this? I know it doesn't have very advanced color correction but I'm not sure what you mean by it needs to be fixed

Unless that is precisely what you mean, that it needs more features like from Color or DaVinci Resolve, etc built in.

I think what he might mean is that they need to replace that atrocious color board with proper color wheels and curves. As it currently stands, you need third-party plugins to get that in FCP X.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
What I'd like to see most is a classic edit mode (FCP 8, if you will), with numbered A/V tracks and a Viewer/Canvas. Wishful thinking, I'm sure...

FCPX would be perfect for me if it had this. I love the new features, and the new layout (Having a separate Viewer/Canvas i'm not too bothered about, though it's apparently coming back in the next version), but i hate the timeline itself. I just want layers and separate tracks back, and the ability to move stuff across the timeline without actually having to use a 'Position' tool to do it.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
FCPX would be perfect for me if it had this. I love the new features, and the new layout (Having a separate Viewer/Canvas i'm not too bothered about, though it's apparently coming back in the next version), but i hate the timeline itself. I just want layers and separate tracks back, and the ability to move stuff across the timeline without actually having to use a 'Position' tool to do it.

I would make the jump right away if they brought back a proper timeline. My industry dictates wanting things delivered in a certain way (e.g. sound mixers needing OMF exports for their ProTools workstations). Having to jump through hoops with 3rd party apps just to do that is annoying.

Ideally, Apple would make "classic timeline" a toggle option. So those who want it get it, and those who don't (presumably those who transitioned from iMovie) can still have their trackless Magnetic Timeline. Win-win for everyone.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Custom resolution export. That's very important, I can't make anamorphic videos. And bug fix. Mine has a lot of bugs.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
...Ideally, Apple would make "classic timeline" a toggle option. So those who want it get it, and those who don't (presumably those who transitioned from iMovie) can still have their trackless Magnetic Timeline. Win-win for everyone.

This. Plus the option to toggle the "Magnetic" attributes to a classic based timeline. The best of both worlds.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This. Plus the option to toggle the "Magnetic" attributes to a classic based timeline. The best of both worlds.

Yeah, I suppose that would be cool too, but the whole point of a numbered A/V timeline is to have total control over where layers of audio and video go. The Magnetic Timeline dynamically chooses what "tracks" to put these clips on to avoid edit overwrites and media collisions.

While I think this is a great concept for those are prone to muck up their timelines when moving a range of clips around, experienced editors generally have a very good reason for certain clips to be in specific places (e.g. a post audio mixer may want dialog on tracks 1-8). For this reason, Magnetic Timeline seems like it would have limited use in traditional timelines with numbered tracks, unless I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Magnetic Timeline seems like it would have limited use in traditional timelines with numbered tracks, unless I'm mistaken.
You are absolutely right. However, Roles make numbered track pretty much obsolete. IMHO, Roles in connection with FCP's database are more advantageous to tracks.
I've been using FCP since version 3, but I don't miss the old way of doing things at all. My job got much easier with X.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
You are absolutely right. However, Roles make numbered track pretty much obsolete. IMHO, Roles in connection with FCP's database are more advantageous to tracks.
I've been using FCP since version 3, but I don't miss the old way of doing things at all. My job got much easier with X.

But it doesn't seem that Roles is capable of outputting tracks of audio with their individual clips intact, including user-defined handles, pan and level values, etc., a la OMF/AAF. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like it simply spits out AIFF mix downs.

With the right functionality tweaks to address this, Roles could be a great thing.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
But it doesn't seem that Roles is capable of outputting tracks of audio with their individual clips intact, including user-defined handles, pan and level values, etc., a la OMF/AAF. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like it simply spits out AIFF mix downs.

With the right functionality tweaks to address this, Roles could be a great thing.
Most cases you can output them and bring into ProTools (in the future) then add all the fixings ala Resolve round-trip. Thats the feature Im hoping for ;)

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011

Not right now (without workarounds), but Apple has mentioned that they'll bring improved audio tools with the next update.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Not right now (without workarounds), but Apple has mentioned that they'll bring improved audio tools with the next update.

And this is another reason FCP X is a joke. How long until it incorporates ALL the functionality that a product they made 4 years ago had? Or that Avid had a loong time ago? Or even Premiere? Apple made a fisher-price POS and it's funny how you all just bend over and enjoy it.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Well, as long as I save a lot of time and effort on my jobs, I enjoy working with this POS.

To each his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.