Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 2, 2012, 07:42 AM   #1
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Expose is Back in Mountain Lion!

With the update to Mountain Lion DP3, the "Ungrouping" of Windows is now available in 10.8! The true old Expose is back (prior to Snow Leopard). (Pic below courtesy of member Kariya).

I avoided Lion for a number of reasons (sluggishness, poor implementation of Duplicate/number of other features etc). Now, I will upgrade to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard.

Anyone else doing the same with all that's been going on?
BTW: It isn't this one feature that's pushing me to 10.8, but a combination of refinements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 8.14.33 AM.png
Views:	2011
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	338217  

Last edited by FSMBP; May 2, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
FSMBP is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502a

I'm going to update to ML and try it out today. Might stick with it, even if it's a DP. Currently on SL.
Paradoxally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Never in my life would I have thought that apple would re-introduce a feature based off of user demand. I might actually start liking OS X again
thejadedmonkey is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Never in my life would I have thought that apple would re-introduce a feature based off of user demand. I might actually start liking OS X again
I agree. I feel like the ideas of Mission Control (and some other features of 10.7) were half-baked and engineers didn't think of them all the way through. I feel like 10.7 was sort of a 'Beta' and they sorted out the bugs.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Feed Me
Banned

Probably the best news I've had all day!
I have never once used mission control to switch between app windows, but I remember I used exposť all the time

EDIT: any pics?
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Is the ungrouping versus grouped an either/or or can you key bind both of them?

There are situations where grouped actually makes sense, even when one does prefer the ungrouped version.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:33 AM   #7
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashy View Post
Probably the best news I've had all day!
I have never once used mission control to switch between app windows, but I remember I used exposť all the time

EDIT: any pics?
I edited the first post to show the image. The image was originally posted by member Kariya.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:05 AM   #8
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

But still no Spaces, eh?

Maybe someone will build a third-party virtual-desktop product for Mac (hint, hint).

Well, a girl can hope.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:17 AM   #9
klaxamazoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpea View Post
But still no Spaces, eh?

Maybe someone will build a third-party virtual-desktop product for Mac (hint, hint).

Well, a girl can hope.
The developer working on ReSpaceApp just joined up with BinaryAge (maker of TotalFinder) and it is launching as TotalSpaces.

It brings back the grid structure of 10.5 Spaces and the developer is said to be working on an Expose solution.
klaxamazoo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
GoGa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpea View Post
But still no Spaces, eh?

Well, a girl can hope.
What's the difference between Spaces and Desktops?

(My iMac came with lion so I have never used spaces.)
GoGa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:32 AM   #11
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaxamazoo View Post
The developer working on ReSpaceApp just joined up with BinaryAge (maker of TotalFinder) and it is launching as TotalSpaces.

It brings back the grid structure of 10.5 Spaces and the developer is said to be working on an Expose solution.
Sweet. That's really the only thing that would make an upgrade past Snow Leopard viable for me.

Just googled them, and it looks like they have a ways to go to fully duplicate the Spaces functionality, but they're on their way.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

This is great. But how about multiple display management? Is it any better? Or do we still get the linen background on every secondary displays when using an app in full screen mode?
Old May 2, 2012, 01:41 PM   #13
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Wow, this is excellent news! I may let my fiery grip of Snow Leopard go after all, once Mountain Lion is out.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Krazy Bill
Banned

It's still not the 2nd coming I hoped for. I can certainly live with windows grouped by application and if need be... simply ungroup them with a quick swipe so I don't understand all the hoopla.

The problem is Apple's misguided view of what a "space" is. I still don't understand why a full screen deserves it's own dedicated workspace just because the menubar is gone. Open and close enough of them and the top third of your display is littered with useless and empty desktops. My solution so far is to just avoid using apps in full screen.

Yeah, I know I'll get flamed for yet another wish for the old Spaces/Expose' scheme. But at least you had a choice not to use either of them.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Blipp
macrumors 6502

I try not to violate the NDA too often but I'll say the functionality is back and at least on my test machine is glitchy as all get out. I'm excited but it's by no means ready for prime time yet.

DO NOT take Expose's return as the excuse you've been waiting for to use Mountain Lion as your primary OS. This is still very much a beta...
Blipp is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Menge
macrumors 6502a

Here's to hoping they keep it in! This is excellent!
Old May 2, 2012, 06:18 PM   #17
james948
macrumors regular

The only thing I miss is now is the symmetry. They're not re-sized to rectangles; they remain the same shape.
james948 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:40 PM   #18
PurrBall
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to PurrBall
Quote:
Originally Posted by james948 View Post
The only thing I miss is now is the symmetry. They're not re-sized to rectangles; they remain the same shape.
The way it's supposed to be (pre-Snow Leopard)
Old May 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Now make ML have support for multiple monitors and it will surpass lion.
Ddyracer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:03 PM   #20
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Wow, excellent and unexpected news!
Old May 2, 2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Applepi
macrumors 6502a

Getting to use this feature again is an absolute joy. Makes my life much easier too.
Applepi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 10:26 PM   #22
WSR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGa View Post
What's the difference between Spaces and Desktops?

(My iMac came with lion so I have never used spaces.)
Basically in Snow Leopard each Space is it's own desktop and Full-Screen modes can't create their own Space. The apps just go Full-Screen in its current Space. This allowed Spaces to be arranged in a grid for easy changing between Spaces. For example, I use 9 Spaces in SL in a 3 by 3 grid. I know that the bottom right Space is my mail app, the top right is Itunes, etc. The those apps and others always open in those Spaces and the position of the Space won't move. Thus, I always know where it is and don't have to search the Spaces for where it is.

In Lion, not only can each Space be it's own desktop, it could instead be an app in Lion's Full-Screen mode without a desktop below it. This means that the number of Spaces can be ever changing as apps enter and leave Full-Screen mode. Also it makes a second monitor virtually useless since there is no desktop below the app for the second monitor to show.

So to actually answer GoGa's question in SL all Spaces are Desktops. While in Lion some Spaces are Desktops and some Spaces are apps in Full-Screen mode.

While ReSpacesApp sounds good, Apple NEEDS to give the user the option between classic Spaces and Mission Control.

Below is an example of SL's Spaces. Note since I have 2 monitors, they are shown side-by-side in each Space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 11.27.56 PM.png
Views:	382
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	338312  
WSR is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:55 AM   #23
Kiriga
macrumors newbie

I was very pleased to read about the epic comeback of the biggest wasted feature that I decided to install the dp3 on an external hdd, just so to see it! Well, it needs a bit of polishing, like there are no names of the applications depicted, even when hovering the mouse over the windows, but hey, it's back! The thing that kept me in Snow Leopard all this time.
Here's a screenshot : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...20504at948.png

Last edited by Kiriga; May 4, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Kiriga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 04:56 AM   #24
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
All they need to do now is fix multi-monitor support and I may upgrade. This is certainly good news indeed. I'm glad Apple have realized their mistake.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:53 PM   #25
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a

I will upgrade to ML day 1 because of this.
Blue Sun is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion