Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Share of Tablet Market Surges to 68% as Kindle Fire Shipments Plummet

IDC today released its data on worldwide tablet shipments for the first quarter of 2012, revealing that despite a quarterly drop in iPad shipments of over 20%, Apple's share of the tablet market rose to 68% from last quarter's 54.7%. Apple's boost came at the expense of Android-based tablets, most notably Amazon's Kindle Fire which appears to have seen its shipments collapse from 4.8 million units in the fourth quarter of 2011 to less than 750,000 units last quarter.
Quote:
"Apple reasserted its dominance in the market this quarter, driving huge shipment totals at a time when all but a few Android vendors saw their numbers drop precipitously after posting big gains during the holiday buying season," said Tom Mainelli, research director, Mobile Connected Devices at IDC. "Apple's move to position the iPad as an all-purpose tablet, instead of just a content consumption device, is resonating with consumers as well as educational and commercial buyers. And its decision to keep a lower-priced iPad 2 in the market after it launched the new iPad in March seems to be paying off as well."
Amazon had surged into second place in the tablet market during the fourth quarter with a 16.8% share of the market as the Kindle Fire debuted in the United States. But while IDC did not report a number for Amazon's first quarter shipments in its press release, it did note that Amazon's share dropped to to "just over 4%" in the total tablet market of 17.4 million units, yielding shipment volume of roughly 700,000-750,000 units for Amazon.

As a result of Amazon's decline, Samsung was able to regain the second position in the tablet market, ahead of Amazon, Lenovo, and Barnes & Noble. Amazon's slide also comes as mass retailer Target yesterday announced plans to discontinue the sale of all Kindle devices and other Amazon- and Kindle-branded products.

The overall tablet market grew 120% year-over-year, but the 38% quarter-over-quarter decline was even steeper than expected coming off the strong holiday quarter. Apple obviously has a significant influence on the overall tablet market given its dominant position, and the company did ship slightly fewer than expected iPads during the quarter as consumers held off on iPad 2 purchases ahead of the new iPad's launch and Apple experienced some supply constraints when the device did launch with just three weeks left in the quarter.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Tablet Market Surges to 68% as Kindle Fire Shipments Plummet
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Yup, the market for the iPad mini is huge! lol
WhoDaKat is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

I guess everyone that wants one has one. That's the thing with low price of entry. Takes less time for everyone to get one that wants one.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4
dennno
macrumors regular

No surprise really. The Kindle Fire is targeted to niche markets, the iPad has wider appeal.

Samsung won't be able to touch the tablet market in the same way Apple does without offering something new and better than the iPad. And let's face it it's not going to happen.
dennno is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
So basically new iPad sells more than the nearly 12 month old Kindle fire then... And?
The Kindle Fire was only announced in September of 2011. It's nowhere near a year old yet. And it was supposed to be the iPad killer, so this is pretty crazy news.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #6
japasneezemonk
macrumors 6502

WOW! I was under the impression that the Kindle Fire was selling like hotcakes. oh well...
japasneezemonk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #7
milani
macrumors 68000

I don't doubt the iPad has the majority of the market, but I frankly don't believe these "shipment" numbers from IDC and NPD anymore.
milani is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:16 AM   #8
bdavis89
macrumors regular

Proof that the fire was appetizing around christmas time because it was cheap. Those actually going out and making a tablet purchase, doing research, etc, end up buying the iPad.
bdavis89 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
The Kindle Fire was only announced in September of 2011. It's nowhere near a year old yet. And it was supposed to be the iPad killer, so this is pretty crazy news.
September. Is it so young! kind of feels like its been around ages longer than it has so.

It would be interesting to find out how many people bought the kindle fire over the holiday season, had their appetites whetted, and then moved over to the new iPad on its launch.
MacRumorUser is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:19 AM   #10
kdarling
macrumors G4

So comparing 1Q12 to 4Q11:

The Kindle sold 4 million less than the holiday quarter.

The iPad sold 3.6 million less than the holiday quarter.

--

The Kindle Fire still is mostly a US domestic product, as well, while the iPad sells in many countries.

Quote:
Amazon just made this comment:

(The) “Kindle Fire remains the #1 bestselling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items available on Amazon.com since launch” and says “in the first quarter, 9 out of 10 of the top sellers on Amazon.com were digital products — Kindle, Kindle books, movies, music and apps.”

Kindle is “the bestselling e-reader in the world, by far,” CEO Jeff Bezos said.

And the Kindle for iPad app is “the #5 free iPad app of all time and the #1 free books app on iPad.”
kdarling is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
revealing that despite a quarterly drop in iPad shipments of over 20%, Apple's share of the tablet market rose to 68%
Nothing like putting a little fanboy lipstick on bad news.

"Our sales sucked... just not as bad as everyone else's".
Krazy Bill is offline   -20 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:20 AM   #12
rowanmwilliams
macrumors member

People don't want tablets, they want iPads.
rowanmwilliams is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Formul
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
So basically new iPad sells more than the nearly 12 month old Kindle fire then... And?
Nice try ... anounced in september and released november 15th means about 4 months old when the new iPad was released.
Formul is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:23 AM   #14
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
Don't worry - the Fandroids will always rewrite history when they don't like the results.
bbeagle is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:25 AM   #15
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
In a way its a shame as Apple really works best where theres competition that pushes Apple to be it's best. (I'm looking at you notifications). I really want there to be so that the iPad just gets better and better! That said, new iPad is miles ahead of all the Android tablets I've used in terms of experience, so it really doesn't surprise me that the iPad still dominates.
MattJessop is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:26 AM   #16
japasneezemonk
macrumors 6502

If Business Insider is to be believed. Walmart sold more iPads, than Amazon sold Kindle Fires. Apparently Walmart sold about 1.3 million iPads.
japasneezemonk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
No surprise really. The Kindle Fire is targeted to niche markets, the iPad has wider appeal.

Samsung won't be able to touch the tablet market in the same way Apple does without offering something new and better than the iPad. And let's face it it's not going to happen.
You used Samsung, new and better in the same sentence. That is a first. They will just copy the next device that Apple produces.
Macclone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:28 AM   #18
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

I guess Tim Cook was right when he said that nobody wants a limited function tablet! I've been doing some slight photo editing in the PS Touch app, as well as some word processing, and a few other things that would not be available on the Kindle Fire. No surprise that people have lost interest. The iPad has become a tool for me where I personally view the Kindle Fire as a toy!
Old May 3, 2012, 09:30 AM   #19
linux2mac
macrumors 65816

"No matter how you try to slice it, when you give a consumer the choice between an iOS device and an Android device, they are picking the iOS device."

The End Of Android Approaches ...
http://articles.businessinsider.com/...e-sales-google
Old May 3, 2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

Although it is a tablet, the kindle is marketed as an e-reader.

Unlike an iPad, there isn't a reason to go out and get the new model when it comes out, and the Kindle's abilities as a computing platform for email, web browsing, etc are limited.

The Galaxy Tab 2 7" is the tablet to be worried about. Thin, great battery life, runs the latest version of android, plays mkv/divx/avi/h.264 out of the box, has a wolfson DAC, and costs $250 new.

They take SIM cards. People hack them to give them full phone capability.

If Samsung had any clue how to market it, then they would sell quite a few of them.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by japasneezemonk View Post
WOW! I was under the impression that the Kindle Fire was selling like hotcakes. oh well...
I have a bridge to sell you if you believed that.

This is why Amazon doesn't release their individual sales units...they don't want the word getting out.

Quote:
Yup, the market for the iPad mini is huge! lol
Don't make assumptions. I know a lot of people that want a smaller iPad the size of the Kindle...If Apple made it...it would still sell and make money for them...lots of money.
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:37 AM   #22
zaphon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux2mac View Post
"No matter how you try to slice it, when you give a consumer the choice between an iOS device and an Android device, they are picking the iOS device."

The End Of Android Approaches ...
http://articles.businessinsider.com/...e-sales-google
What consumers though? Where I work and amongst my friends I have seen two trends (tech people)

1. They are all moving away from iPhone/iOS devices
2. They are mostly going Windows Phone (which I dislike even more than iOS)

I just hope that there continues to be a choice, as I will never give Apple another penny.
zaphon is offline   -25 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Augure
Banned

As a long time Apple user, and marketer who doesn't fall into marketing BS, I can only criticize Apple these days, but the large amount of stupid fanboys makes it useless to do so.

However, and even if the iPad 3 was an iPad 2S, I can't criticized the iPad because this is a jewel of tech and this is the product that competitors are way too far to match. The Galaxy Tab is utter crap compared to the iPad and no other tablet is even close.

In comparision, the Galaxy S2 or the Lumia 900 are perfectly good competitors to the iPhone.
Augure is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #24
japasneezemonk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
I have a bridge to sell you if you believed that.

This is why Amazon doesn't release their individual sales units...they don't want the word getting out.
Everyone seemed to be making a huge deal about how the Kindle was going to finally stall the iPad. Looking at the numbers, Walmart alone sold more iPads than Amazon sold Kindles. I just think this race is getting really interesting. It really seems like Android is going to have a really hard time catching up.
japasneezemonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #25
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Bought my son a Kindle Fire for Christmas, after much pestering. It now sits in the corner gathering dust while I have to surgically remove him from his iPhone just to eat dinner.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion