Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:12 PM   #1
tb7
macrumors newbie

New powerbook user with a display problem UPDATE apple store visit and DOA Product

Hello, one week ago I recieved in the mail a new 15 inch powerbook, which is my first mac ever. I am very pleassed but have one problem. Every time I unplug or plug in my power adaptor, my display malfunctions and everything freezes for about 10 secounds. I first noticed this another instance, the display malfunctioned similarly when using the full screen visual effects in itunes. This had happened after I connected my powerbook to my television via dvi cable, and then disconnected it. I don't think that has any relevance to my problem as it seems to me being a PC user I would assume it is in the driver of the video card not being fully compatible with other hardware, I would assume on a mac you do not have this problem though so anyone have any ideas? I will post what the Display looks like when this problem occurs.

I have the 15 inch powerbook with the radeon 128 mb video card, an 1.67 processor. I believe the 128mb video card is the issue, anyone have this problem any suggestions? Thank you

UPDATE

I visited the Apple store nearest me and they were very helpful they were able to confirm that my machine was defective, and talked to the apple store phone network for me. They told me that within 48 hours i will be contacted by email with instuctions for handling what they called a Dead on arrival product (DOA) any of you had any expierence with this procedure... what can i expect from apple? shipping, repair, replacement, time frame ext anything... thank you i cant wait for my first mac that....works! hahaUPDATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010048.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	26001  

Last edited by tb7; Jul 8, 2005 at 11:41 PM.
tb7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:22 PM   #2
aussie_geek
macrumors 65816

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb7
Hello, one week ago I recieved in the mail a new 15 inch powerbook, which is my first mac ever. I am very pleassed but have one problem. Every time I unplug or plug in my power adaptor, my display malfunctions and everything freezes for about 10 secounds. I first noticed this another instance, the display malfunctioned similarly when using the full screen visual effects in itunes. This had happened after I connected my powerbook to my television via dvi cable, and then disconnected it. I don't think that has any relevance to my problem as it seems to me being a PC user I would assume it is in the driver of the video card not being fully compatible with other hardware, I would assume on a mac you do not have this problem though so anyone have any ideas? I will post what the Display looks like when this problem occurs.

I have the 15 inch powerbook with the radeon 128 mb video card, an 1.67 processor. I believe the 128mb video card is the issue, anyone have this problem any suggestions? Thank you
Unfortunately there is only 1 solution to this dillemma.... Call Apple NOW!! If this is happening only a week after you got it, you may be able to get a new one

aussie_geek
aussie_geek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:54 PM   #3
realityisterror
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to realityisterror
Yup. Give 'em a ring or take it into your Apple Store. It's not worth dealing with one week into purchase...

Hopefully it'll end up great,
reality
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Either call apple or go to a apple store. I think they should replace it with a band new one! (or at least fix it)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:07 PM   #5
tb7
macrumors newbie

runninmac-thanks

Thank you all, I will go to the apple store that just opened in my area tomorow. Runninmac, small world I live in Grand Rapids, as well convienent that there is an apple store in woodland now
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:45 PM   #6
tb7
macrumors newbie

UPDATE

I visited the Apple store nearest me and they were very helpful they were able to confirm that my machine was defective, and talked to the apple store phone network for me. They told me that within 48 hours i will be contacted by email with instuctions for handling what they called a Dead on arrival product (DOA) any of you had any expierence with this procedure... what can i expect from apple? shipping, repair, replacement, time frame ext anything... thank you i cant wait for my first mac that....works! haha
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:11 AM   #7
Ajmbc
macrumors regular

This is _exactly_ what happens to me! Whenever I change power management settings or plug/unplug my mac the display malfunctions like that until i click the mouse button...

What is the config on your machine? I have 1.67, 128 mb vram, 1 g ram, superdrive.
Ajmbc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:36 AM   #8
TheHorseKilla
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, but it corrects itself immediately. Do you guys think this might lead to other problems?
TheHorseKilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 07:19 AM   #9
tb7
macrumors newbie

yes mine started out that way but progressively has gotten slightly worse now after doing anything related to the power managment i get some pixel annomilies, apple store definately said it was wrong and claimed it was dead on arrival and did everything they could to get me a new machine. I suggest you go in or call. my config was exactly that 1.67, 128 vram..........any idea about the DOA exchange policy though
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:49 AM   #10
crachoar
Banned

That must've sucked some donkeys.

But you have to admit, it looks kind cool...

Kind of like my shattered iBook LCD!
crachoar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs