Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menotiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Yesterday my sister told me she had a problem with her iPhone.

She was on 5.1.0 and updated OTA to 5.1.1. When the update was done, her iPhone rebooted and displayed the 'connect to iTunes' screen. She gives it to me, I do what I can and after several restores the only thing that shows up after a restore is the 'connect to iTunes' screen. In iTunes, it says it's in recovery mode and needs restoring.

iPhone 4s white

any solutions?

Last edited:

menotiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
So i switched data cables to see if that was the problem. I used a brand new one. Now half way through "extracting software" is gives me this message:

"The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. This device is not eligible for the requested build."

menotiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Ok, so i fixed the previous message. But I am still not able to get out of recovery mode after restores.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Try redsn0w or TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery, if that doesn't work, try going into DFU-mode and restore.

menotiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
OK i fixed it.

I had to restore back to 5.1 and not 5.1.1. Apparently 5.1.1 is not working with this iphone for some reason. Thank God apple was still signing 5.1 restores

jo1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
I'm having a similar issue. Originally, I was on 5.0.x and my phone randomly bricked (I'm not jailbroken, either). I went to restore it, and it would get stuck at the end of the restore process and never finish. I updated iTunes, updated iPhone & then entered recovery mode and tried to restore... no dice. Any ideas?

It's an AT&T iphone 4S, if that matters

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.