Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 18, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Vice92
macrumors regular

Specific Apple TV Question

Hello,

Currently I have my external enclosure hooked into my mbp, which I stream through plex media serve to my LG tv through one of their Media Link app. However, the application on my TV does not allow for pre-buffering - that is, it will not buffer my hd movies to be played in the future, it will only buffer in real time while I'm watching them, causing the movie to pause about every minute to buffer a little more.

I'm trying to remedy this with the Apple TV - does the Apple TV pre-buffer? I.e if I leave the movie paused it will buffer at least some of it?

Thanks
Vice92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
almonde
macrumors regular

Yes, AppleTV will buffer the entire show/movie as fast as it can, provided it can fit in its 8gb buffer.
almonde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Vice92
macrumors regular

Ok, thats great news, thank you for the info. Also, is that a revolving buffer? As in, as I watch the movie, will what I previously watched (i.e buffered) get lost from the 8gb limit so more of the unwatched film portion can be buffered?
Old May 21, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice92 View Post
Ok, thats great news, thank you for the info. Also, is that a revolving buffer? As in, as I watch the movie, will what I previously watched (i.e buffered) get lost from the 8gb limit so more of the unwatched film portion can be buffered?
the Buffer on the ATV works pretty much as ram, it will still buffer live while you are watching it, as soon as you stop watching or watch something else, it will make that storage available and it will be overwritten.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Vice92
macrumors regular

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up. I really wish my TV worked that way to save me the extra $100 expense but...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater