Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brave5213

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
New York
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a smooth 720p media player for ipad 3, and it also should support smi subtitles.
so far i tried pro player, hd player pro but none of them can able to play 720p mkv files smoothly.

can anybody suggest a good video player with possibly hardware accelerated ?

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Try AVPlayer HD, it should run 720p flawlessly. At 1080p with high bit rate...maybe choppy a little bit.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a smooth 720p media player for ipad 3, and it also should support smi subtitles.
so far i tried pro player, hd player pro but none of them can able to play 720p mkv files smoothly.

can anybody suggest a good video player with possibly hardware accelerated ?

I tried AVPlayer HD and 720p files that had a high bitrate were very choppy.

I ended up installing XBMC after jailbreaking. Right now, they are working out the 1080p playback issues. For the time being, they've lowered the playback resolution until they get the 1080p optimization issues fixed. I think they also have the resolution clamp set for 720p videos as well.

Apple won't allow any players on the AppStore to use hardware acceleration.

Software players like AVPlayer HD use software acceleration which is a killer on battery life, so that's not a good enough solution, imho.

brave5213

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
New York
I tried AVPlayer HD and 720p files that had a high bitrate were very choppy.

Apple won't allow any players on the AppStore to use hardware acceleration.

Software players like AVPlayer HD use software acceleration which is a killer on battery life, so that's not a good enough solution, imho.

you are wrong, there are some video players which has hardware acceleration such as pro player. they updated their app after i open this topic. it's better than before now, but still not smooth.

gqPUU.png

Last edited by a moderator:

barakrl

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
If your device is JB, use XBMC.

As far as I know, the various "normal" app can only use hardware acceleration to decode MP4 file (due to Apple's API limitation), so other file formats/containers are played using software decoding.

XBMC however, being a jb/non-apple-approved app and all, can use hw decode with any file type including MKV and from personal experience, it does play ALOT better with mkv files then other apps.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
you are wrong, there are some video players which has hardware acceleration such as pro player. they updated their app after i open this topic. it's better than before now, but still not smooth.

gqPUU.png

There's no reason to use a 3rd party player if you're going to be playing Apple-compliant MP4 files.

There are zero appstore 3rd party players out there that use hardware acceleration for non-MP4 files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.