Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Fritzables
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA
TeamViewer v's Remote Login

Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables
Fritzables is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Silencio
macrumors 68000
 
Silencio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzables View Post
Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables
I've been using Back To My Mac for some years now, generally works very reliably and seamlessly. Connections are carried over SSL-encrypted point-to-point IPSec. BTMM is one of Apple's most underrated products IMO.
__________________
"The times they are a changin', and some traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."
Silencio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Fritzables
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Thanks Silencio,

Does Back To My MAC wake out of Sleep??

Pete
Fritzables is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzables View Post
What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?
I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
John Kotches
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Troy, IL (STL Area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.
The unix "purists" probably already know the tricks of the trade, like using ssh's tunneling/port forwarding features to do what we need to do
__________________
Unix Geek / Chronically sleep deprived
Mac Mini Server 2011, 16 GB RAM, 256GBx2 SSD, 2011 MBA + iPhone 5s for wife
Android Phones and Tablets for me
John Kotches is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Fritzables
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Thanks John,
Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete
Fritzables is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 07:32 PM   #7
John Kotches
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Troy, IL (STL Area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzables View Post
Thanks John,
Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete
Thats how I do it.

I need to sign up for dyndns so that I can use hostname instead of IP address. Although my IP address rarely changes, it can change if there's an ISP outage (rare).
__________________
Unix Geek / Chronically sleep deprived
Mac Mini Server 2011, 16 GB RAM, 256GBx2 SSD, 2011 MBA + iPhone 5s for wife
Android Phones and Tablets for me
John Kotches is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Teamviewer] mouse pointer disappeared in remote desktop lamlamlam Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Mar 25, 2014 11:59 AM
Teamviewer and remote control DJTaurus OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Nov 15, 2013 08:17 AM
Remote Login Nickwell24 Mac Basics and Help 0 Oct 20, 2013 02:06 PM
Teamviewer asks for my admin password and remote login question aoitsukinosuke Mac Applications and Mac App Store 11 Jul 10, 2013 01:20 PM
SHH Remote Login, Login...Logs?? Moby13 Mac Basics and Help 2 Aug 5, 2012 04:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC