Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 21, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Fritzables
macrumors regular

TeamViewer v's Remote Login

Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables
Fritzables is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzables View Post
Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables
I've been using Back To My Mac for some years now, generally works very reliably and seamlessly. Connections are carried over SSL-encrypted point-to-point IPSec. BTMM is one of Apple's most underrated products IMO.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Fritzables
macrumors regular

Thanks Silencio,

Does Back To My MAC wake out of Sleep??

Pete
Old May 26, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
John Kotches
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.
The unix "purists" probably already know the tricks of the trade, like using ssh's tunneling/port forwarding features to do what we need to do
John Kotches is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Fritzables
macrumors regular

Thanks John,
Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete
Old May 26, 2012, 07:32 PM   #7
John Kotches
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks John,
Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete
Thats how I do it.

I need to sign up for dyndns so that I can use hostname instead of IP address. Although my IP address rarely changes, it can change if there's an ISP outage (rare).
John Kotches is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking