Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

Mountain Lion, filevault and guest mode

Have there been any changes to Filevault and Guest mode in mountain lion (relative to Lion)?

Although it had its limitations and detractors, I personally liked having Filevault restricted to my user account in Snow Leopard because it meant others could boot up and use the computer in a full guest mode or a standard account without needing to provide them with a password that would decrypt the whole disk.

Whilst guests can still boot up into a guest safari environment in Lion, I find this insufficient for my liking.

So I'm curious as to whether the developer previews have revealed any changes to Filevault and guest mode in Mountain Lion

Thanks
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 12:37 PM   #2
maflynn

Apple changed how they do encryption in Lion (not mountain lion) in that the entire disk is encrypted, not just the home folder of a user account. I see no way around providing the password when the entire disk is encrypted. This is not a Mountain Lion issue, but a design issue I believe with Lion and beyond.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
filevault, guest account, mountain lion