Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old May 26, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
rickp1
macrumors member

Iphone 4 as hotspot for iPad 2

I'm using an Ipad 2 and I would like to use my iphone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 as a hotspot so I can have internet access on my ipad outside an established wifi network. I found and followed a site with some instructions on how to do this but it didn't work. As a matter of fact i don't even think the jailbreak worked.

Anyone have any good sources with how to do this? or any recommendations at all on this?

thanks
rickp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Mdifilm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp1 View Post
I'm using an Ipad 2 and I would like to use my iphone 4 running iOS 5.1.1 as a hotspot so I can have internet access on my ipad outside an established wifi network. I found and followed a site with some instructions on how to do this but it didn't work. As a matter of fact i don't even think the jailbreak worked.

Anyone have any good sources with how to do this? or any recommendations at all on this?

thanks
I just jailbreak and in cydia buy pdanet ($16) or Mywi 5.5 ($19). That's it. I use either one hen traveling
Old May 26, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Carlanga
macrumors 603

After you are jailbroken, open Cydia and download TetherMe on the iPhone so you can use the official Apple Hotspot ability.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
rickp1
macrumors member

That's great guys. You have a good site for good instructions on how to jailbreak? Never done it before.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

You don't have to jailbreak to do this, Personal Hotspot is included in iOS?!
G-Mo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 07:28 PM   #6
petrucci666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
You don't have to jailbreak to do this, Personal Hotspot is included in iOS?!
In the US, carriers charge money to activate the hotspot. When you jailbreak, you can download TetherMe, pdaNet, MyWi etc. to use it for free.

In my opinion, if you have purchased a data package then you should be able to use it, so that's why I refuse to pay AT&T another $20+ dollars to use something that is built in, even though I can afford it.
petrucci666 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:

thanks
What site did you get the directions from?

Look at this:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05...-absinthe-2-0/
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 08:19 AM   #8
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
What site did you get the directions from?

Look at this:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05...-absinthe-2-0/
This was a few days back and I couldn't find it, but thank you for the new link.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This was a few days back and I couldn't find it, but thank you for the new link.
No problem, let us know if you still have trouble.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:36 AM   #10
BlueRaider
macrumors regular

If you want to tether and you have an iphone 4 then don't waste$20 on MyWi. Tetherme works better and i think its only around $2 now. MyWi has been horribly buggy ever since they released MyWi OnDemand. Save your money and use the factory tethering functionality
via Tetherme.
AppleTv 2
BlueRaider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaider View Post
If you want to tether and you have an iphone 4 then don't waste$20 on MyWi. Tetherme works better and i think its only around $2 now. MyWi has been horribly buggy ever since they released MyWi OnDemand. Save your money and use the factory tethering functionality
via Tetherme.
Thanks for the tip. You're the 2 or 3 person to make the same statement. In really don't the difference between the 2 apps but since the general view seems to stick to tetherme, I'll get that one.

Again thanks
Old May 27, 2012, 03:24 PM   #12
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. You're the 2 or 3 person to make the same statement. In really don't the difference between the 2 apps but since the general view seems to stick to tetherme, I'll get that one.

Again thanks
I'll add to this, I use TetherMe as well. I rarely use it, but the few times I need it, it works great for me.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Maverik3
macrumors regular

Tetherme says that it doesn't work with the iPad 2 which is the only thing I would use it for:/
Maverik3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 05:02 PM   #14
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik3 View Post
Tetherme says that it doesn't work with the iPad 2 which is the only thing I would use it for:/
well then I'm back to MyWi since I have the Ipad 2. Damn!!!!
Old May 27, 2012, 07:10 PM   #15
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik3 View Post
Are you trying to install it on your iPad 2? Or install it on your iPhone to connect with your iPad 2? Thats what this thread was asking.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:37 PM   #16
ahdickter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaider View Post
If you want to tether and you have an iphone 4 then don't waste$20 on MyWi.
So this wouldn't work with the iPhone 4s?
ahdickter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 07:45 PM   #17
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

ip4 or 4s, use PDANet, tetherme, mywi is being worked on.
create a hotspot and just connect your ipad to the hotspot.
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 09:12 PM   #18
BlueRaider
macrumors regular

Tetherme is not going to work with the ipad 2. You need to install it on your iPhone 4. The other tethering apps work but not nearly as well. MyWi is a disaster, it worked really well back in the ios 3 days but today its horribly unstable and buggy.
AppleTv 2
BlueRaider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 09:21 PM   #19
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
After you are jailbroken, open Cydia and download TetherMe on the iPhone so you can use the official Apple Hotspot ability.
I agree it's been awesome for me no detection or letter by AT&T yet, though I use it sparingly even though I am grandfathered on the unlimited plan.
bobright is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 10:51 AM   #20
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
No problem, let us know if you still have trouble.

Ok guys, here's where I'm at. I downloaded the Absinthe app and ran it. Rememeber I mentioned that I had ran another jailbroken app but I wasn't sure it worked. Well... when I ran Absinthe it gave me an error and told me that the phone was already jailbroken.

Let me ask you guys something. I thought that when one jailbreaks their device the process installs Cydia and that installing apps from there are free.

When I searched for MyWi I found 3 or 4 different versions of it, one being MyWi On Demand but it asked me to pay $19.99. Does that sound right if my phone really is jaibroken.
Since Tetherme doesn't work on an Ipad 2 should I just pay for MyWi? If so which? These are my options when I search in Cydia Packages section:

MyWi 5
MyWi On Demand
MyWi 5.0 (iOS 3.x & 4.x) I'm assuming not can't due to running iOS 5.1.1
MyWi 5.5 (iOS 5 Library)

Sorry if this seems like a really elementary question but I know nothing about jailbreaking. I'm pretty tech savy but don't know much about this.

Thanks.
Just.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Ok guys, here's where I'm at. I downloaded the Absinthe app and ran it. Rememeber I mentioned that I had ran another jailbroken app but I wasn't sure it worked. Well... when I ran Absinthe it gave me an error and told me that the phone was already jailbroken.

Let me ask you guys something. I thought that when one jailbreaks their device the process installs Cydia and that installing apps from there are free.

When I searched for MyWi I found 3 or 4 different versions of it, one being MyWi On Demand but it asked me to pay $19.99. Does that sound right if my phone really is jaibroken.
Since Tetherme doesn't work on an Ipad 2 should I just pay for MyWi? If so which? These are my options when I search in Cydia Packages section:

MyWi 5
MyWi On Demand
MyWi 5.0 (iOS 3.x & 4.x) I'm assuming not can't due to running iOS 5.1.1
MyWi 5.5 (iOS 5 Library)

Sorry if this seems like a really elementary question but I know nothing about jailbreaking. I'm pretty tech savy but don't know much about this.

Thanks.
Just.
Did you jailbreak an iPhone or an iPad? You can install Tetherme on your iPhone, then tether your iPad to your iPhone. And yes, a lot of things in Cydia are paid apps or tweaks. Same as any app store, it is not for getting paid apps for free. I don't think thats what you meant though. Cydia is just an app store like Apples app store, just for stuff Apple doesn't allow.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:22 PM   #22
rickp1
macrumors member

Im trying to jailbreak my iphone 4 running 5.1.1 so i can tether my ipad 2 to get to the internet.

Thanks forthe cydia clarification. Believe it or not the little i lnow about all this is from listening to my 14 year old step son talk about this with his friends.

So with what im trying to do xan i use tetherme instead of mywi and will it work better?

Again thanks i'm learning a ton here.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:23 PM   #23
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Im trying to jailbreak my iphone 4 running 5.1.1 so i can tether my ipad 2 to get to the internet.

Thanks forthe cydia clarification. Believe it or not the little i lnow about all this is from listening to my 14 year old step son talk about this with his friends.

So with what im trying to do xan i use tetherme instead of mywi and will it work better?

Again thanks i'm learning a ton here.
Yeah, I use Tetherme for this and it works great.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:43 PM   #24
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
Yeah, I use Tetherme for this and it works great.
Another question came up when I read some info on tetherme. i did a search on Cydia for Tetherme and it found it, so i clicked on it to read its info so on and so forth.

At the beginning it says that not compatible with 1st Gen iPhone and that the WiFi Personal Hotspot is only enabled for iPhone 4 at this time. No issues so far. The next part I believe is however. It states that Bluetooth does not currently work on the iPad2 (only USB)

So does that mean that the only way I'll be able to use Tetherme from my iPhone to my iPad is to get a connector and use a cable between both devices? If so what's the name of the connector?

Last edited by rickp1; May 28, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Caraj
macrumors member

Hey Rick I am also new to this but I am thinking that you connect your ipad to your Iphone via wifi so no cable required. You are setting your iphone up as a personal hotspot so you can connect other wifi devices to the iphone so you can get internet on those devices

Quote:
Nother question came up when I read some info on tetherme. i did a search on Cydia for Tetherme and it found it, so i clicked on it to read its info so on and so forth.

At the beginning it says that no compatible with 1st Gen iPhone and that the WiFi Personal Hotspot is only enabled for iPhone 4 at this time. No issues so far. The next part I believe is however. It states that Bluetooth does not currently work on the iPad2 (only USB)

So does that mean that the only way I'll be able to use Tetherme from my iPhone to my iPad is to get a connector and use a cable between both devices? If so what's the name of the connector?
Caraj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks