Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I restored my phone and I'm on 5.1.1 and for some reason I keep getting he activation alert telling me my carrier might charge me for the SMS activation. The same happened for FaceTime, I kept getting an alert but I turned it off and I stopped getting it but somehow now it's back on but I'm getting alerts r iMessage instead.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've also noticed that when people iMessage me on my number I get it and also if they send it to my Apple ID but when I iMessage them they receive it from my email although I have my caller ID set to my phone number

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've tried 5.1.1 twice now and it won't seem to activate iMessage or FaceTime. I went back to 5.0.1 and I don't have this problem. Any ideas why?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Something similar happened to me on 5.0 when I went for a trip and used another sim then replaced it w/ my orig carrier sim and the iCloud phone number activation go stuck without me even realizing it until people started telling me why I was not answering their imsjs back... I went to settings for each thing and for example in message settings I turn it off then on and that seemed to activate it properly; did the same w/ all the other apps.... If not maybe try resetting the network settings?

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Something similar happened to me on 5.0 when I went for a trip and used another sim then replaced it w/ my orig carrier sim and the iCloud phone number activation go stuck without me even realizing it until people started telling me why I was not answering their imsjs back... I went to settings for each thing and for example in message settings I turn it off then on and that seemed to activate it properly; did the same w/ all the other apps.... If not maybe try resetting the network settings?

I tried turning off iMessage and FaceTime. Let me try resetting network settings. The weird thing is this is the 2nd time I restore and setup as new and it's happened both times.

edit: also something weird I've noticed is that in Settings > Phone > My Number isn't actually my number even though when I text or call someone, my number shows up.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I tried turning off iMessage and FaceTime. Let me try resetting network settings. The weird thing is this is the 2nd time I restore and setup as new and it's happened both times.

edit: also something weird I've noticed is that in Settings > Phone > My Number isn't actually my number even though when I text or call someone, my number shows up.

let me know if resetting fixed it for you.
Are you jb? do you use a sim interposer? which hacks are you running if jb? Are you using a number that was not the one registered w/ the iPhone? in iCloud do you have the sim card # or is it another one?

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So I've noticed that I get these activation messages whenever I restart my phone and it's fine until I restart again. My number in FaceTime and iMessage are correct but in Phone it's not my number. It's a temporary number which 3 was provides until my number is switched from my old carrier (Vodafone). I switched months ago so not sure why it's showing up now.

----------

let me know if resetting fixed it for you.
Are you jb? do you use a sim interposer? which hacks are you running if jb? Are you using a number that was not the one registered w/ the iPhone? in iCloud do you have the sim card # or is it another one?

Nope. Doesn't seem to have fixed it but at least now I only get the activation method when I reboot. I am jailbroken but never had this issue on 5.0.1. My phone is factory unlocked. I'm using the same tweaks as I did on 5.0.1 so I doubt that's the issue. Not using iCloud at the moment.

Reading some posts from here and and it seems like I just need to get a new sim card. I'll try that tomorrow. I hope this fixes it. I'd rather stay on 5.1.1 than go back to 5.0.1 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401647?start=0&tstart=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.