Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Anyone else get this yet?
086jf.png

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I did too

I received the same update, and I did a quick Google search before installing it..

There is no mention of it on Google, nor on the Apple website, so I will hold off till others try it first.

IAN...

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I received the same update, and I did a quick Google search before installing it..

There is no mention of it on Google, nor on the Apple website, so I will hold off till others try it first.

IAN...

I haven't installed it either, not sure what it does exactly, so I guess I'll hold off until more people know about it...

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
But why isn't there any info on the Apple website about this update (like all the other updates)?

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Is this because of the SSD disk ?

installed an SSD into my 2008 MacPro - my second one without SSD does not have the update offered.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I am wondering if it is an update to correct the super slow shutdown in Lion...?

My SSD equipped MB Pro has been taking @ 45-60 seconds to shutdown since I upgraded to Lion, whereas it used to shutdown within 4-5 seconds when I was on SL.

Hmmmm.... :)

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I am wondering if it is an update to correct the super slow shutdown in Lion...?

My SSD equipped MB Pro has been taking @ 45-60 seconds to shutdown since I upgraded to Lion, whereas it used to shutdown within 4-5 seconds when I was on SL.

Hmmmm.... :)

I don't have a SSD in my MacBook. It just popped up on my updates.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
So far I've only seen another post about this "update" on here. Not exactly sure if I should trust it or not.
Original download URL:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...jbsYdfK9YbrJLPdVhdCNq/MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...jbsYdfK9YbrJLPdVhdCNq/MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.smd
(Base64 encoded; decode it here)

Mac OS X 10.7.4 Supplemental Update

This update addresses an issue where certain new APIs for file access are not present on some systems.

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...jbsYdfK9YbrJLPdVhdCNq/MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkm
says:

<groups>
<group>com.apple.securityfix.pkg-group</group>
<group>com.apple.repair-permissions.pkg-group</group>
<group>com.apple.FindSystemFiles.pkg-group</group>
</groups>

So i think this is a fast security update. Package contents (click to enlarge):

Attachments

• MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkg.nores.png
    MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkg.nores.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 422
  • MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkg.res.png
    MacOSXUpd10.7.4Supp.pkg.res.png
    90 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
And strange that there is nothing mentioned on the Apple website..... Sounds very strange to me

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
And strange that there is nothing mentioned on the Apple website..... Sounds very strange to me

Exactly. I noticed that on the bottom of the updates page there's no kb website or whatever you call it like there usually is when Apple sends out an "official" update. That's kind of what threw me off about this update.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
I got this supplemental update in Software Update only on one of my Macs, the one on which I had recently reinstalled OS X 10.7.4 from the Mac App Store.

So, it might be that this update is needed only for fresh 10.7.4 installations, while it isn't on systems upgraded from earlier Lion versions (e.g., from 10.7.3).

This is confirmed also by the fact that, when browsing through Time Machine backups, the relevant files (i.e., /System/Library/CoreServices/ScopedBookmarkAgent and /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.scopedbookmarkagent.xpc.plist) weren't present before the supplemental update on my freshly reinstalled Mac; while they were already present (and thus with no supplemental update offered) on the other ones, which had been updated (with delta updaters) from 10.7.3 via Software Update.

So, it looks like Apple forgot to include those two files in the Mac App Store Lion 10.7.4 installer (and maybe also in the 10.7.4 combo updaters?).

At least, one possible explanation (and the package is signed by Apple, so it should certainly be authentic)...

Last edited:

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I got this supplemental update in Software Update only on one of my Macs, the one on which I had recently reinstalled OS X 10.7.4 from the Mac App Store.

So, it might be that this update is needed only for fresh 10.7.4 installations, while it isn't on systems upgraded from earlier Lion versions (e.g., from 10.7.3).

This is confirmed also by the fact that, when browsing through Time Machine backups, the relevant files (i.e., /System/Library/CoreServices/ScopedBookmarkAgent and /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.scopedbookmarkagent.xpc.plist) weren't present before the supplemental update on my freshly reinstalled Mac; while they were already present (and thus with no supplemental update offered) on the other ones, which had been updated (with delta updaters) from 10.7.3 via Software Update.

So, it looks like Apple forgot to include those two files in the Mac App Store Lion 10.7.4 installer (and maybe also in the 10.7.4 combo updaters?).

At least, one possible explanation (and the package is signed by Apple, so it should certainly be authentic)...

This makes sense. It only showed up on a newly built Mac with 10.7.4 DVD.
This update has not showed up on my other Macs.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
... And another thing to note are the file sizes:

- /System/Library/CoreServices/ScopedBookmarkAgent: 78 528 byte;

- /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.scopedbookmarkagent.xpc.plist: 486 byte.

These sizes are identical on the newly built 10.7.4 system (with the supplemental update) and on the other, upgraded systems (without the supplemental update, where those files were already present): so, probably, they are also the exactly same versions, even if the creation and modification dates are obviously different for those from the supplemental update.

[Edit:] OK, I just browsed through the whole Time Machine history on my MacBook Pro, which was originally built with 10.7.3: and the two files in question were always present, and right from the beginning!

So, it really looks like the explanation for all this is quite simple: they just forgot to include the two files in the 10.7.4 Mac App Store installer/DMG, while they were indeed present in the 10.7.3 one (and the updaters, both delta and combo, also seem to have nothing to do with this).

That might explain why only computers originally built with 10.7.4 get the supplemental update...

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
This makes sense. It only showed up on a newly built Mac with 10.7.4 DVD.
This update has not showed up on my other Macs.

Well I've had mine updated to 10.7.4 since the release date this version. So I'm still not sure why its showing up on select macs and not all of them...

I've installed the update anyways, hopefully everything goes good with the update. Thanks guys =]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.