Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I was curious why others stay with the iPhone over Android and Windows.

My top reasons are:
1) Manufacturer support via apple store and on time updates
2) No fragmentation
3) Apps are better quality
4) Jailbreaking is much easier than rooting/flashing
5) Easier to sell since theres greater demand for iPhones

What are yours?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

My top reasons are:
2) No fragmentation

What are yours?

Actually there is fragmentation with iOS, there are older versions of iOS that developers need to contend with. There are high quality apps on Android, jail breaking an android phone (rooting using their terminology) is even easier then the iPhone.

I use the iPhone because it meets my needs. I'm not married to a given manufacturer or platform. Its really which one that works best for me.

I've used android phones in the past and so I responded to bullets 2 - 4 stating how those are not real issues or incorrect.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
Apps and the music interface. I have over 7 pages of apps which I use daily. Music is also really important to me the other platforms' music interface is not very user-friendly.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Actually there is fragmentation with iOS, there are older versions of iOS that developers need to contend with. There are high quality apps on Android, jail breaking an android phone (rooting using their terminology) is even easier then the iPhone.

I use the iPhone because it meets my needs. I'm not married to a given manufacturer or platform. Its really which one that works best for me.

I've used android phones in the past and so I responded to bullets 2 - 4 stating how those are not real issues or incorrect.

Guess we will agree to disagree :)

Jailbreaking consists of 2 steps: plug in your phone -> click jailbreak button on absinthe. Done! I've tried rooting a galaxy nexus w/ the toolbox program and it was confusing as hell and a lot more steps.

I've used both and android apps are lower quality in my opinion.

Not sure what you meant on the fragmentation without a real life example.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
1) Brand loyalty.

2) The aesthetics of the iPhone are - in my opinion - superior to anything out there.

3) AirPlay!!!!! (this is something I use a lot)

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
1) When iOS get's updated, my iPhone will be updated (at least 3 major iOS versions) with no delays from carrier or manufacturer.

2) I have use a Mac and love iTunes so my iPhone syncs perfectly with them.

3) I have spent quite a bit on apps so I wouldn't want to change platforms.

4) I live near an Apple Store and the Genius Bar has been amazing in the past helping me solve problems.

5) I didn't really like my 3G, but I LOVE the design of my 4S.

6) With many of the people I know that have iPhones, iMessage works wonderfully but WhatsApp works well with my Android friends.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
1. CAMERA - I love taking pictures/videos and to me there is no other phone out there that matches the iPhone 4S in this department.
2. Build Quality - sexy ass looking phone!
3. iOS - simple and easy to use, I've used Android for years but I've learned to love iOS.
4. Apps - no comment needed here.
5. iTune/Music integration

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
the whole ecosystem is what got me on apples side. all my family uses mac's, iphones, ipods, ipads, and all of my friends. besides, i have a huge itunes library, and also i use all the idevices and mac. son using another phone like an android wouldnt make sense to me...:D

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
So far the things that have kept me with the iPhone are:

1) IMMEDIATE UPDATES (this is my biggest reason so far, I remember having a BB with a completely ****** OS and waiting over 6 months (closer to a year) for an update that would have had a significant effect on the use of the device).

2) Excellent customer service

3) fear of the unknown

4) phone works damn well.

Apps are not such a big deal for me, I don't have lots, a majority other than some games and media streaming are free.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
My reason: im used to it and at the moment i dont have time to play with other OS and look for alternatives to previous apps i was using.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
1) straight to the point, ease of use
2) quality of apps,
3) own too much content from the platform
4) quality of hardware
5) support system
6) third party accessories

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Simplicity, ease of use, ecosystem, iCloud keeps all my content on all my devices. And the iPhone design is the most beautiful and balanced design out there.

Jedii

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012

My top reasons are:
2) No fragmentation

What are yours?

Most android phones are stupidly oversized, plus i just prefer the interface on the apple devices. i dont like 'widgets' all over my screens either.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've had an iPhone since the beginning, and I've gotten so used to the user interface it has become second nature to use. I have fallen in love with the simplicity of Apple's products. When I use an Android phone, it still feels like I am using an operating system, things load slowly sometimes, the app store doesn't always work on the phone, the touch screen is absolutely nothing like the iPhone's. We were able to see this simply with the zoom in feature on Words With Friends while comparing the two. Also, since I have a MacBook as well, they compliment each other. I think Apple is ahead of the game and people have been playing catch up. If anything, phone's like the Samsung Galaxy S III are just upgrades to the 4S etc. Nothing revolutionary.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Guess we will agree to disagree :)

Jailbreaking consists of 2 steps: plug in your phone -> click jailbreak button on absinthe. Done! I've tried rooting a galaxy nexus w/ the toolbox program and it was confusing as hell and a lot more steps.

You obviously didn't use the first version of Absinthe to jailbreak. That was a nightmare and MUCH harder than rooting or installing a custom ROM on an Android. I'll give you that the latest Absinthe is one of the easiest jailbreaks ever...but that first version? I'm surprised we didn't have thousands of threads of people who'd "bricked" their phones.

The one real advantage I see when it comes to rooting over jailbreaking is that with rooting, you don't have to worry about "accidentally" updating your device and not being able to get your root back. With iOS, it's always a cat-and-mouse game with Apple and if they've stopped signing your jailbroken firmware and something goes horribly wrong, you're stuck updating to the latest, non-jailbroken firmware. At least on the A5 devices.

ClockWorkMod (or CWM) is heaven-sent on Android, too. Once you've got a kernal that contains it, you can flash ROMs until your heart is content, so it's easy to try different things.

While I still reach for my jailbroken 4S over my GSII because of the ease of use, battery life, and my investment in the Apple ecosystem, I have no problem switching to my GSII when I get bored of iOS. Both are great.

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
Most android phones are stupidly oversized, plus i just prefer the interface on the apple devices. i dont like 'widgets' all over my screens either.

I think that if you actually gave the Android OS a chance (i.e. more than 5 minutes of holding it), that you'd come to find it is a very polished OS.

Just one question, you say you don't like "widgets" all over your screens, but you do like applications all over your screens? I know iOS has folders, but besides those you have to have your icons on your screen, right?

Jedii

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I think that if you actually gave the Android OS a chance (i.e. more than 5 minutes of holding it), that you'd come to find it is a very polished OS.

Just one question, you say you don't like "widgets" all over your screens, but you do like applications all over your screens? I know iOS has folders, but besides those you have to have your icons on your screen, right?

Applications are uniformed, and widgets are not, they are different dimensions.

As for holding an Android, i had the transformer tablet for a while for a work tablet, i hated it.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
When I use the iPhone its always felt like having the premium device with the materials used even if glass is aesthetically nice but not so durable !

Before I had the iPhone I had an original Sony-Ericsson Xperia with Windows mobile which I liked but wasn't very user friendly, iOS makes everything I need to do easy and enjoyable if that makes sense.

I really do like some of the handsets available a few friends have the Galaxy S2 it looks amazing but it lacks the screen res and quality/premium feel of the iPhone. The OS does feel clunky but I cant judge as I haven't really had a great amount of time to sit down with it.

One thing is for sure though i'm not keen on the new iPhone leaks so far but I will be waiting on its release, if it doesn't meet my expectations I will probably be looking at the Galaxy S3 or another android/windows device to try out.

When I originally purchased the iPhone 4 the competition to the iPhone was absolutely pathetic I think competitors have certainly caught up in terms of hardware but they still lack the premium feel and every phone released is always a case of trying to beat the iPhone which is also pathetic since Apple haven't really released a 'next gen' phone since the 4.

The 4S to me was a massive stop gap with few updated features just to meet (what was last October) todays market demands/needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.