Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I was trying to look up WWDC history to find out how likely it is that Apple will release a newer, and more feature-complete build of ML to developers. Any ideas? I could see Apple revealing new features or apps for ML at WWDC and hopefully devs will get a chance to use them the same day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hasn't apple been regular with releasing ML builds? If so I don't see the need for a special WWDC build since they're giving the developers builds as they see the need.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
They ARE going to release a new preview of Mountain Lion at WWDC ;) They did it last year, they'll do it this year. And this build will probably include Retina display support ;)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
They ARE going to release a new preview of Mountain Lion at WWDC ;) They did it last year, they'll do it this year.
Very likley.

And this build will probably include Retina display support ;)
Very unlikely - they aren’t going to be adding anything major to a DP this late in the game. There just isn’t enough of that there right now.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Count on it.

Will ML go to the same 13.0.0 Darwin kernel as iOS 6.0?

I'm sure the stuff that couldn't be put in because iOS 6 wasn't announced
will be put in.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Count on it.

Will ML go to the same 13.0.0 Darwin kernel as iOS 6.0?

I'm sure the stuff that couldn't be put in because iOS 6 wasn't announced
will be put in.

What sorts of improvements can be anticipated if Darwin is upgraded to 13.0.0?

----------

Hasn't apple been regular with releasing ML builds? If so I don't see the need for a special WWDC build since they're giving the developers builds as they see the need.

Sure, they've been regular about releasing builds. But that's not the point. I am wondering if they will release a build that contains additional features or apps (unannounced as of yet) during WWDC.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
What sorts of improvements can be anticipated if Darwin is upgraded to 13.0.0?

----------

Sure, they've been regular about releasing builds. But that's not the point. I am wondering if they will release a build that contains additional features or apps (unannounced as of yet) during WWDC.

I'm trying to find out as well since there's a dearth of info about iOS 6.0.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
For those of you following this thread, if Apple were to introduce new features in Mountain Lion at WWDC, what do you think they would be? I think it's a safe bet to say that dictation will be included.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
  • Maps (needs iOS 6.0 announcement)
  • Siri (needs iOS 6.0 announcement)
  • iCloud Documents in the Cloud
  • Airplay (needs iOS 6.0 announcements)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Very likley.

Very unlikely - they aren’t going to be adding anything major to a DP this late in the game. There just isn’t enough of that there right now.

The previous build already had hiDPI mode added in and a bunch of icons updated to Retina quality. So to finalize the Retina support they would just need to keep adding more and more icons at a rate that will have them all updated by GM time and ML should be Retina rdy.

monkeyKing

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Scotland
I'm not sure we'll see any new features, maybe not on the scale of those already shown.

I do hope it's released soon, but I can wait if they need to iron out stuff to make it suitable for release.

In terms of a new build. I reckon if it's not released on Monday then we'll see a new dev. build alongside iOS 6.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The previous build already had hiDPI mode added in and a bunch of icons updated to Retina quality. So to finalize the Retina support they would just need to keep adding more and more icons at a rate that will have them all updated by GM time and ML should be Retina rdy.

I don’t think there would be any reason to do that though unless there was an iron lock on retna screens which is certainly not guaranteed whatsoever. Besides, there would be a lot more than icons that need updating. Sorry, they may be putting the seeds in, but they aren’t going full out unless they can cut the fat somewhere else.. I don’t see it.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I don’t think there would be any reason to do that though unless there was an iron lock on retna screens which is certainly not guaranteed whatsoever. Besides, there would be a lot more than icons that need updating. Sorry, they may be putting the seeds in, but they aren’t going full out unless they can cut the fat somewhere else.. I don’t see it.

Other than icons, what needs updating that isn't covered by the HiDPI mode in ML?

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Oh there will most certainly be a new build released during that week, probably the last major beta (DP 4) before final RTM. I'm sure there will also be a tiny update build released a few weeks after DP 4 though, just like there was for Lion.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Other than icons, what needs updating that isn't covered by the HiDPI mode in ML?

Other graphics I suppose. OSX is more than just the icons. The fact that Apple hasn’t done it yet indicates to me that either there is a lot of items or they are doing limited work with them.

I believe HiDPI is already in Lion to a limited degree - it’s not a secret that they have done it already. I wouldn’t look much into it without some more overt evidence.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
We'll probably see a GM build at WWDC. Don't count on it having many more features than current builds though. Things like dictation/Siri will almost certainly be for 2012 Macs due to hardware limitations.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
We'll probably see a GM build at WWDC. Don't count on it having many more features than current builds though. Things like dictation/Siri will almost certainly be for 2012 Macs due to hardware limitations.

We'll see a build, but it won't be the GM.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I just have this feeling that Tim Cook could say "we want to talk about 10 new features of Mountain Lion..." and then unveil some new ones. I don't know - maybe it's wishful thinking.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I just have this feeling that Tim Cook could say "we want to talk about 10 new features of Mountain Lion..." and then unveil some new ones. I don't know - maybe it's wishful thinking.

Because they may announce iOS 6.0 tentpole features there is a chance that some things are added to Mountain Lion that couldn't be divulged before because that would have leaked iOS 6.0 features.

I eagerly await monday.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Because they may announce iOS 6.0 tentpole features there is a chance that some things are added to Mountain Lion that couldn't be divulged before because that would have leaked iOS 6.0 features.

I eagerly await monday.

Same here, buddy. Should be a good show.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
We will most certainly not see any golden master version of OS X Mountain Lion at WWDC'12. Mountain Lion is far from being ready for prime time, yet.

I do hope we'd get some newly announced features though, as Mountain Lion doesn't pack a whole lot. But I guess it's supposed to be a maintenance / optimisation release thus not packing a hell of a lot of features.

If Apple is aiming for a mid-summer release (which basically means July 2012) adding brand new untested features at this date seems somewhat awkward if they are hoping for a mid-summer release. But who knows.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If Apple is aiming for a mid-summer release (which basically means July 2012) adding brand new untested features at this date seems somewhat awkward if they are hoping for a mid-summer release. But who knows.

They are aiming for a late-summer release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.