Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
My title says it all. I'm about to make a purchase in about a month, reguardless of an update and I need to know if there are some issues about the screen of the iBooks, the iBook i'm looking at is in my sig.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Dead pixels. More than 4 (you can debate on 3) and Apple will replace. Good luck with the iB purchase. I've just done the same (see sig).

deetschei

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2005
ITASOR said:
Dead pixels. More than 4 (you can debate on 3) and Apple will replace. Good luck with the iB purchase. I've just done the same (see sig).
how can you count dead pixels?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I wouldnt worry about dead pixels even if you had some you probably wouldnt notice as they are so small...

ANyhow apple use quality displays with little or no problems...

SHadoW ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also the lower res screens used on the iBook are not frequently prone to dead pixels. It happens, but it is more infrequent on the XGA displays than on the higher-res displays, irrespective of laptop manufacturer.

Other than that, people occasionally have problems with the cable inside the hinge, and eventually the backlight burns out. But both of those are things that tend to happen late in the computer's life, and are not particular to the iBook.

ak004m

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
i never had any specific problems with my screen, no dead pixels at all or anything, only real problem is that it's just too small, too low of a resolution which gets pretty annoying at times

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I have about two or three "bright" spots where the colors appear much brighter (and washed out) than the rest of the screen. To be honest, I've never really been happy with the screen.

BTS

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2005
Hasselt, Belgium
ppc_michael said:
I have about two or three "bright" spots where the colors appear much brighter (and washed out) than the rest of the screen. To be honest, I've never really been happy with the screen.
Then why didn't you send it in RMA?

everybodylikepi

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2005
Massachusetts
I don't know if this is still an issue, but with my G3 ibook (late 2002, in sig) I had the imprint of my keyboard on the coating of the LCD. Now I have a protector for the new powerbook, so I'm not sure if it's a laptop thing in general or just something confined to the old ibooks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
everybodylikepi said:
I don't know if this is still an issue, but with my G3 ibook (late 2002, in sig) I had the imprint of my keyboard on the coating of the LCD. Now I have a protector for the new powerbook, so I'm not sure if it's a laptop thing in general or just something confined to the old ibooks.

This is still an issue with the G4s -- if you are consistent about cleaning it, it's not a big deal, but if you aren't then it can be a nuisance.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
deetschei said:
how can you count dead pixels?

One, two, three, four....

They're little dots of some color that never or rarely change. You have to have the screen ON to see them.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.