Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is iOS6 a disappointment from what you learned in the keynote?

• It was NOT a disappointment.

Votes: 760 50.9%
  • It was definitely a disappointment.

Votes: 732 49.1%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Seriously, that was pretty lackluster.

I know there's another poll already but it's terribly constructed. This one is simple.

Lets summarize the 10 big features of iOS6 shall we?

From this page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

1) Maps: Ok, that's big enough. Whole new interface. Whole new backend. Yep.
2) Siri tells you sports and movie stuff: Yeah sorry, that's a cloud feature.
3) Facebook: Social Networking garbage that should have been paired with Twitter last year. Doesn't even deserve a spot of its own.
4) Shared photo streams: An x.1 addition at best. All they did was make photo stream social. An enhancement, not a feature of its own.
5) Passbook: An app that I could have downloaded from the app store like "Find my Friends". Most people won't use this. They trust the native app more than a consolidated solution.
6) Facetime over Cellular: Something that should have always been there when Facetime came out. No reason to delay except to ration out the features.
7) Phone replies: Should have been there since iOS1. A complete joke. Typical Apple nonsense rationing of features.
8) Mail enhancements: Stuff that should have been there in iOS3. OMG APPLE THANKS FOR LETTING ME ATTACH STUFF IN THE MAIL APP. Complete crap, typical Apple rationing of features.
9) Safari enhancements: Typical stuff that should have been in iOS5 with iCloud. More feature rationing.
10) Accessibility: Apple JUST realized that kids and sick kids can use devices you manipulate with your fingers and parents might want some fine grained control? This should have been around since iOS3 as a minor feature that every parent can use. Typical Apple trying to showcase a feature because they want to portray how they REALLY care about children.

Anyway, yeah, iOS6 is a joke. I'm done with this nonsense for good.

Last edited:

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Someone on the Internet doesn't like something? I'm shocked. Seriously though, someone says this about every release of everything.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
There are several new features and integration that I liked (like the 'do not disturb' functionality) and I'm glad Siri will be getting smarter up here in Canada. What were you looking for that didn't show up in iOS 6?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
There are several new features and integration that I liked (like the 'do not disturb' functionality) and I'm glad Siri will be getting smarter up here in Canada. What were you looking for that didn't show up in iOS 6?

Siri on iPhone 4 so I can get Turn by turn.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
That's the thing. This wasn't a big OS upgrade. It was a big CLOUD upgrade with feature added to the OS to interact with that CLOUD upgrade. The only interesting iOS6 upgrade was Maps and that was pretty much a cloud-based feature, and the rest of the little features were things that should have been in iOS back during version 4. I mean, come on, you can FINALLY upload pictures via Safari? Give me a break...

iOS6 was lackluster at best. You guys can't even deny it now.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Siri on iPhone 4 so I can get Turn by turn.

"Turn by Turn" not being on the iPhone 4 is clearly nothing to do with Siri.

The screenshots clearly show that you can start and interact with the feature using the touch UI.

Having to use Siri would just be ridiculous.

They always introduce features in iOS that aren't available on previous generation devices.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
That's the thing. This wasn't a big OS upgrade. It was a big CLOUD upgrade with feature added to the OS to interact with that CLOUD upgrade. The only interesting feature was Maps, and the rest of the little features were things that should have been in iOS back during version 4. I mean, come on, you can FINALLY upload pictures via Safari? Give me a break...

Considering you only know 10 of the new 200 features, I don't understand how you can make that statement.

I personally like the upgrade, although I was hoping for a quick reply/compose feature.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Considering you only know 10 of the new 200 features, I don't understand how you can make that statement.

I personally like the upgrade, although I was hoping for a quick reply/compose feature.
I read the listing from the keynote. Mostly stuff that should have been there to begin with.

When FACEBOOK integration is considered a major feature in a mobile OS, you know there's little innovation going on. Same with Twitter. All crap that can't even be counted as a major feature, yet Apple does it.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I guess that's the thing about watching it with no expectations. It may seem lackluster to you, but I'm ok with the update and will get it probably as soon as I'm home.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I read the listing from the keynote. Mostly stuff that should have been there to begin with.

When FACEBOOK integration is considered a major feature in a mobile OS, you know there's little innovation going on. Same with Twitter. All crap that can't even be counted as a major feature, yet Apple does it.

Nice try... But you don't know all 200 features. The picture of the features lists about 20. Wait until the actual iOS is released this fall, and then make judgement. I remember saying iOS 5 was a bust and once it was actually released, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not really a fan of the Twitter/Facebook support but I'm sure it may come in handy sometime.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
iOS 6 is the upgrade I have been waiting for. I am more underwhelmed by Mountain Lion, I thought they showed of ML early to announce BIG features but it was just refining what we already know/expected. And the new Macbook Pro's are flipping amazing but only Pro's got retina display and nothing about Mac desktops.

Disappointed in no weather on lock screen or no safari Omnibar though? Those are musts for me.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I'm in awe that I still can't have upcoming appointments on my lockscreen. I really wanted to be able to drop my jailbreak.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Very disappointed.

Most of the additions have been available on my other devices for years.

Playing catch up is fine, but they need to add features that other devices don't have in addition to the catchup features.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I guess that's the thing about watching it with no expectations. It may seem lackluster to you, but I'm ok with the update and will get it probably as soon as I'm home.
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't release major OS versions for somebody to just be "OK" with them.

This was a disappointment. Really. It's ok to admit it, guys.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I think I'm more along the lines of not wowed.
It's an ok update I guess

I think the only thing I really liked was the DND but alot of those features are available on some Android devices. Like voice reply to text for one.

I hope there's more to it and it will be shown when the new iPhone is released.

I guess I was just expecting more from the worlds greatest mobile operating system. Lot of stuff just bringing it inline with ICS. I was wanting that one WOW feature.

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Nice try... But you don't know all 200 features. The picture of the features lists about 20. Wait until the actual iOS is released this fall, and then make judgement. I remember saying iOS 5 was a bust and once it was actually released, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not really a fan of the Twitter/Facebook support but I'm sure it may come in handy sometime.
The ones they don't display are just things like "enhancement to iMessage UI" and the like. That's why they don't display them and we have to go looking for differences between major OS releases.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

When you advertize for a new movie, do you show the 10 best clips from the movie? Of course you do. And when you see a preview and say "is that all they got?", you can usually bet the movie is gonna blow.

This was Apple's chance to 'wow' everyone, so that 10 is the best 10 they've got. The other 190 'features' are going to be things like 'typing an email will now automatically insert a period at the end of a sentence when hitting 'return'.

Anyway, as I said over there, nothing I saw would warrant loosing my Jailbrake.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't release major OS versions for somebody to just be "OK" with them.

This was a disappointment. Really. It's ok to admit it, guys.
Nope, sorry, still not disappointed. No matter how much you think I should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.