Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
screen-shot-2012-06-11-at-7-50-01-pm.png

Mountain Lion’s Facebook integration coming in the fall, not at July*launch

During today’s WWDC keynote, Apple gave some demos of the sharing features in the next versions of their desktop and mobile operating systems, including deep Facebook integration in iOS 6. One thing they didn’t mention, however, was the same Facebook integration for the Mac. As it turns out, there’s a good reason for that. The version of 10.8 that launches next month will not support Facebook.

According to a tiny banner hidden on Apple’s OS X Mountain Lion website, Facebook integration won’t be available in OS X until this fall. Conveniently, that’s the same timeframe given for the iOS 6 release, and the presumed timeframe of the next iPhone launch.

Oddly, Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4, released earlier this evening, does contain full Facebook integration. Why Apple chose to omit this feature from the shipping version is a mystery, since it seems to be functioning well in its current form. Perhaps Apple’s agreement with Facebook is to launch all integration in fall. For example, iOS 6 launches in the fall.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Where are you seeing the full facebook integration?

You have to install it manually.

OP: I wouldn't call it "delayed," as it was never announced before.

(BTW, if you want Facebook integration with Contacts now in Lion, as well as a very nice menu-bar based Contacts app, check out Cobook. It's free.)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As I said, you can get it now--download "“OS X Facebook Developer Preview" separately.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I missed it as well twice. I thought people were making up the "facebook developer edition"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.02.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.02.13 AM.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.06.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.06.30 AM.png
    43 KB · Views: 1,926

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
You have to install it manually.

OP: I wouldn't call it "delayed," as it was never announced before.

(BTW, if you want Facebook integration with Contacts now in Lion, as well as a very nice menu-bar based Contacts app, check out Cobook. It's free.)
Their implementation of Contacts sucks though. Its not smart enough to merge contact information with my iCloud account. Now I have duplicate namecards for the same persons.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Their implementation of Contacts sucks though. Its not smart enough to merge contact information with my iCloud account. Now I have duplicate namecards for the same persons.

That happened with a few of my contacts. Easily fixable, though.

Is it possible not to have FB contacts in your address book? This pissed me off when I had an Android. I may use FB integration if I can just post with it, but I'm not interested in it having anything to do with my contacts.

If it works like Cobook, it'll add FB data to only preexisting contacts.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No its not easily fixed. I got it on at least 70% of my account. And do you also have duplicate birthday reminders?

I meant easily fixed for me, I only had a few duplicates (I don't have a lot of OS X contacts.)

I didn't have birthday reminders to begin with, but it seems that it scrapes birthdays from FB inconsistently. Some have them, some don't.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2011
Privacy Concerns

Although I do use Facebook (sparingly – maybe 10 minutes per week), I don't really like their privacy-invading behavior. (Just one example out of many: when someone uploads/syncs their entire contact list details to invite people to join Facebook: whether people join Facebook or not: Facebook keeps everyone's details).

But I don't want to turn this into a Faceboook-bashing. The question for me here is: Once Facebook is integrated into OSX, can I at least "opt out" and NOT have my laptop/address book synced to Facebook.
Of course, there's always things like "Little Snitch" to block stuff, but it'd be great if OSX actually gave the user an option. That's the least to ask for from Apple.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
But I don't want to turn this into a Faceboook-bashing. The question for me here is: Once Facebook is integrated into OSX, can I at least "opt out" and NOT have my laptop/address book synced to Facebook.

If you don't want to use the Facebook features, don't use them and don't sign in to it - it is 100% optional. Essentially it's opt-in.

Omnipotentsco

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
The only thing I really want with Facebook Integration is for events that I say that I will be attending to show up on my Calendar.

So far from the description it doesn't look like that's an option...

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2011
If you don't want to use the Facebook features, don't use them and don't sign in to it - it is 100% optional. Essentially it's opt-in.

OK. Let me rephrase my question:
If I am a member of Facebook, and log into Facebook (through a web-browser): does this mean that Mountain Lion will then automatically sync things like Address Book to Facebook?
Or can I log into FB through a browser and NOT have my OS communicate to it?

HolySalami

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
The only thing I really want with Facebook Integration is for events that I say that I will be attending to show up on my Calendar.

you can already do this...

Click on events on the left hand side in Facebook,
click on the magnifying glass button (right hand side)
click export events, it gives you a web cal address to subscribe to, you can subscribe in iCal/iPhone/iPad

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
OK. Let me rephrase my question:
If I am a member of Facebook, and log into Facebook (through a web-browser): does this mean that Mountain Lion will then automatically sync things like Address Book to Facebook?

No, share settings require you to log in at the system level in system settings. Logging into a web browser is totally different and is not related to sharing.

HolySalami

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010

you can already do this...

Click on events on the left hand side in Facebook,
click on the magnifying glass button (right hand side)
click export events, it gives you a web cal address to subscribe to, you can subscribe in iCal/iPhone/iPad

gsmumbo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Dallas, Tx
What app is that L shaped icon in your dock? or did you just mod the microsoft communicator app icon?

It's Microsoft Lync. :) Aka what replaced Communicator(it's still fairly new so I'm guessing Communicator will be phased out as Office iterates)

Writerscorner

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Link

I just can't find it. Is anyone able to just post the link to the .dmg within the apple developer forum please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.