FaceBook Integration Delayed til Fall

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by iRobby, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

iRobby

[​IMG]

Mountain Lion’s Facebook integration coming in the fall, not at July*launch

During today’s WWDC keynote, Apple gave some demos of the sharing features in the next versions of their desktop and mobile operating systems, including deep Facebook integration in iOS 6. One thing they didn’t mention, however, was the same Facebook integration for the Mac. As it turns out, there’s a good reason for that. The version of 10.8 that launches next month will not support Facebook.

According to a tiny banner hidden on Apple’s OS X Mountain Lion website, Facebook integration won’t be available in OS X until this fall. Conveniently, that’s the same timeframe given for the iOS 6 release, and the presumed timeframe of the next iPhone launch.

Oddly, Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4, released earlier this evening, does contain full Facebook integration. Why Apple chose to omit this feature from the shipping version is a mystery, since it seems to be functioning well in its current form. Perhaps Apple’s agreement with Facebook is to launch all integration in fall. For example, iOS 6 launches in the fall.

2. macrumors regular

gsmumbo

Where are you seeing the full facebook integration?

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 603

You have to install it manually.

OP: I wouldn't call it "delayed," as it was never announced before.

(BTW, if you want Facebook integration with Contacts now in Lion, as well as a very nice menu-bar based Contacts app, check out Cobook. It's free.)

4. macrumors 601

It’s not in there yet - as Apple said, it’s coming this fall.

5. macrumors regular

gsmumbo

That's why I was asking. I thought I missed something :)

6. macrumors 603

As I said, you can get it now--download "“OS X Facebook Developer Preview" separately.

7. macrumors regular

gsmumbo

I see it now. It was a tiny link. Thank you :)

8. macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I missed it as well twice. I thought people were making up the "facebook developer edition"

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 6502

Their implementation of Contacts sucks though. Its not smart enough to merge contact information with my iCloud account. Now I have duplicate namecards for the same persons.

10. macrumors member

Delta-NC

Is it possible not to have FB contacts in your address book? This pissed me off when I had an Android. I may use FB integration if I can just post with it, but I'm not interested in it having anything to do with my contacts.

11. macrumors 603

That happened with a few of my contacts. Easily fixable, though.

If it works like Cobook, it'll add FB data to only preexisting contacts.

12. macrumors 6502

No its not easily fixed. I got it on at least 70% of my account. And do you also have duplicate birthday reminders?

13. macrumors 603

I meant easily fixed for me, I only had a few duplicates (I don't have a lot of OS X contacts.)

I didn't have birthday reminders to begin with, but it seems that it scrapes birthdays from FB inconsistently. Some have them, some don't.

14. macrumors regular

Privacy Concerns

Although I do use Facebook (sparingly – maybe 10 minutes per week), I don't really like their privacy-invading behavior. (Just one example out of many: when someone uploads/syncs their entire contact list details to invite people to join Facebook: whether people join Facebook or not: Facebook keeps everyone's details).

But I don't want to turn this into a Faceboook-bashing. The question for me here is: Once Facebook is integrated into OSX, can I at least "opt out" and NOT have my laptop/address book synced to Facebook.
    Of course, there's always things like "Little Snitch" to block stuff, but it'd be great if OSX actually gave the user an option. That's the least to ask for from Apple.

15. macrumors 601

If you don't want to use the Facebook features, don't use them and don't sign in to it - it is 100% optional. Essentially it's opt-in.

16. macrumors newbie

The only thing I really want with Facebook Integration is for events that I say that I will be attending to show up on my Calendar.

So far from the description it doesn't look like that's an option...

17. macrumors regular

OK. Let me rephrase my question:
    If I am a member of Facebook, and log into Facebook (through a web-browser): does this mean that Mountain Lion will then automatically sync things like Address Book to Facebook?
    Or can I log into FB through a browser and NOT have my OS communicate to it?

18. macrumors newbie

you can already do this...

Click on events on the left hand side in Facebook,
    click on the magnifying glass button (right hand side)
    click export events, it gives you a web cal address to subscribe to, you can subscribe in iCal/iPhone/iPad

19. macrumors 601

No, share settings require you to log in at the system level in system settings. Logging into a web browser is totally different and is not related to sharing.

20. macrumors newbie

you can already do this...

Click on events on the left hand side in Facebook,
    click on the magnifying glass button (right hand side)
    click export events, it gives you a web cal address to subscribe to, you can subscribe in iCal/iPhone/iPad

21. macrumors 603

Is it just me or did Apple take down that Facebook info?

22. macrumors regular

gage006

23. macrumors regular

What app is that L shaped icon in your dock? or did you just mod the microsoft communicator app icon?

24. macrumors regular

gsmumbo

It's Microsoft Lync. :) Aka what replaced Communicator(it's still fairly new so I'm guessing Communicator will be phased out as Office iterates)

25. macrumors newbie

Link

I just can't find it. Is anyone able to just post the link to the .dmg within the apple developer forum please.