Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple's retail stores have begun installing new window displays showing off the new Retina MacBook Pro mounted on a pedestal with a massive model of the machine as a background.

retina_macbook_pro_window_display.jpg

As we reported earlier today, Apple retail stores have been receiving display models of the new Retina MacBook Pro, but shipments of stock are just starting to trickle in. Those looking for a stock model may be interested in stalking their local stores to try to obtain one, as new online orders are currently seeing shipping estimates of 3-4 weeks.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Rolling Out New Retina MacBook Pro Window Displays

Last edited:

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
75% less glare? What? Oh wait…

For a split second I didn't notice it was behind a store window. Just about freaked by by all that glare. ;) Has anyone seen the real deal yet? How do they compare with a matte screen?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm still not sure what to think about them replacing the 17" MBP workhorse with a non-upgradable high-res 15" Macbook Air. Skinny is neat, but not really the #1 priority of the "pro" set.

Last edited:

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
If anyone is interested, both Regent Street and Covent Garden stores in London still have stock of the Retina model, just been in there and was about to buy one but left with a 13" and 21.5" iMac instead after deciding that I value removeable/replaceable storage and RAM much more!

I may come to regret it but my new home office set up is making me grin so far!

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Not gonna lie, that would make for a pretty sweet game room decoration, lol. Make it a white screen and shine an HD projector on it, that would look pretty awesome!

Unless thats an actual moving screen, then even better!

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I played around with one at the Mall of American Apple Store yesterday. Looked pretty good.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I like the window display. What you don't see: the large scale mock up behind it also has a retina display... they sneaked in an Apple 4K TV as the 'screen' ;)

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I canceled my online order that I had ordered when the window was 7-10 days. I'll take my chances that the local Apple store will have stock before then (it said I should receive it by July :eek:)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
For a split second I didn't notice it was behind a store window. Just about freaked by by all that glare. ;) Has anyone seen the real deal yet? How do they compare with a matte screen?

I believe it was anandtech who said it was pretty close to last-gen matte displays on the MBP.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
They are stunning in person. For anyone doing video, photo or graphics, it may be a religious experience for them. As for the glare, it's night and day compared to the MBP. For those of us doing serious work, you're gonna be blown away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.