Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iMac Update Might Be Coming Sooner Rather Than Later

Back in mid-May, a pair of Geekbench 2 benchmarks that claimed to be from unreleased MacBook Pro and iMac models appeared, setting off speculation that updates to both lines might be imminent if the entries were indeed legitimate. But with Apple not updating the iMac earlier this week at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, those looking for an upgraded all-in-one desktop Mac have been left waiting.

With updated MacBook Pro models reaching the public, Primate Labs highlighted some of the benchmarks yesterday, and the details for the non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro match up nearly exactly with what appeared in the entry from last month, all but confirming that it was indeed a legitimate leak.

Now with that information in hand, it pays to revisit the iMac benchmark that appeared around the same time, and while the two benchmarks aren't necessarily linked, it could generate hope that an updated iMac may still be right around the corner. The iMac benchmark referred to an "iMac13,2" model running a 3.4 GHz Core i7-3770 quad-core processor with 4 GB of 1600 MHz RAM, and while it is possible that the information could have been faked, Primate Labs previously reported that it believes the entry to be legitimate.

Further fueling speculation of a near-term iMac update is recent confusion in which it was initially reported that Apple representatives had told reporters that new iMac and Mac Pro models would likely be arriving in 2013. But following publication of those reports, Apple press relations staff specifically clarified those remarks to note that only the Mac Pro would be seeing the 2013 update. The assumption related to that clarification is of course that an iMac update is very likely to come sooner than the end of this year.

It has already been over 400 days since the iMac was last updated, and Ivy Bridge processors appropriate for the iMac have been available since late April. Consequently, it seems likely that the iMac will still be receiving an update in the relatively near future despite not making an appearance at this week's conference.

As for what improvements the next-generation iMac will see beyond Ivy Bridge, at least one mainstream news report has claimed that Apple is working on Retina displays for the iMac, although we previously analyzed how daunting of a task it would be to support four times the number of pixels found on the current models, particularly on a 27-inch display. Other sources have claimed that Apple is working on anti-reflective glass for the iMac, rumors that may have gained some support with Apple having touted this week that the Retina MacBook Pro's display produces 75% less glare than non-Retina models.

Article Link: iMac Update Might Be Coming Sooner Rather Than Later
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
840quadra

This would make sense considering the processor and core changes to the Macbook line, and how both the Macbook and iMac share similar architectures to begin with.

I am totally in the market for a new iMac to replace a G5 system at my Parent's house, but I really would like to have the inclusion of USB3 and other tweaks.

Really hoping the 'sooner' is within a month or two!
840quadra is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
grooveattack
macrumors 6502a

Now i've got to choose between waiting for the iMac or jumping on the retina macbook. first world problems.

The MBP's were scoring 12,300 so how do they compare speed wise? the pro will be quicker than the iMac??

hmmm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
theSeb
macrumors 603

That's what I posted yesterday. I demand ROYALTIES!!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...4#post15019854

I am expecting the 2013 iMac redesign to include a high-resolution panel, the vibrating pen patent as an extra input device and the foldable iMac patent thrown together. This will be a direct attack and answer to MS's Metro interface.

http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what...of-everything/

In 2012 I am expecting a spec bump to USB 3, Ivy Bridge and Nvidia for the iMac. It would be silly to keep the specifications different from the MBP

Last edited by theSeb; Jun 13, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
theSeb is offline   -21 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #5
wickerman1893
macrumors 6502

I almost bought my new iMac today.... Now this is going to make me wait... Ughh!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #6
dokujaryu
macrumors 6502

Great. My wallet just committed suicide.
Tablet - Nexus 7 2013
dokujaryu is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:35 PM   #7
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Imagine a retina display with those pixel numbers. that would be insane!

I'm also pleased with all these Mac rumors we have been seeing
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:35 PM   #8
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

this is precisely why i am not jumping up and down to get a macbookpro
retina imacs, imagine a 30" retina iMac .... dies and goes to heaven

I was considering a thunderbolt display - but a top-end iMac with SSD and itb drive in the second hdd slot would be awesome!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Makes perfect sense to me.

Small spec bump this summer. Ivy Bridge + Kepler.

Possible redesign next year.
Stetrain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:36 PM   #10
iScott428
macrumors regular

Might see iMac and Mac mini Spec bumps (Processors, USB 3.0, Etc...) with the release of Mountain lion.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:36 PM   #11
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

I bet along side mountain lion
CrAkD is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:37 PM   #12
musio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveattack View Post
Now i've got to choose between waiting for the iMac or jumping on the retina macbook. first world problems.

The MBP's were scoring 12,300 so how do they compare speed wise? the pro will be quicker than the iMac??

hmmm
I'd like an idea to. Maybe you can compare the old MBP to the iMacs and see?
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Wait. I apparently didn't read the comments too closely yesterday. There were actually people who thought that news meant there would be no iMac updates until the bigger change next year?
Small White Car is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Just waiting for the announcement of a new iMac before I buy one.
Xavier is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Okay cool :P
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 PM   #16
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

It doesn't have to be pixel-doubled to be Retina. It'll only take a small-moderate bump in resolution to get iMacs to the pixel density needed to be "retina". That goes for the Thunderbolt display as well.
DTphonehome is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:43 PM   #17
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

I've had MacBook pro 17 inchers for 5 years now. But this is what I want to upgrade to: iMac 27" retina with 16gb memory and desktop class processor. It'll beat the pants off my first gen i7 mbp.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:43 PM   #18
marcusj0015
Banned

Interesting that it's only got 4GB or RAM...
marcusj0015 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:45 PM   #19
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Very welcomed Rumour
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:46 PM   #20
07dodge
macrumors member

As long as it's out by the time school starts again, I'll be happy. Honestly I'd be happy with the current, but that would suck to buy and a month later the new one is out.
07dodge is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Mr Rogers
macrumors regular

I'd rather purchase an end of line upgraded iMac this year than wait for the supposed 'fantastic' revamp that in the offering for next year.

I've never been a early adopter, preferring any significant issues are removed before getting my hands on one - the current design suits me fine, the LCD issues are known - a big pain to get repaired - but known at least, and it works just fine - so, a move to Ivy Bridge, better GPU - I hopes its actually another AMD - and perhaps support for USB3 makes for quite a good machine - one actually that should last out its AppleCare warranty.

Still, I won't get excited anymore, after all the let downs of the past 4 weeks, its just wait and see - if Apple fail to upgrade, I'll spend a similar amount on a Hackintosh with top end GPU and 'K' class i7 processor - not sure what I'll do about FW800 support though?
Mr Rogers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:47 PM   #22
BobCollins
macrumors member

Why do we still need the iMac?

For those of you who are anxiously awaiting an update of the iMac, I have a different question: why? What does it do for you that a MacBook Pro and a display would do for you?

I don't see any features that the iMac has that the MacBook doesn't have. Please educate me.

I have a several year old iMac that had its hard disk fail. Repairing it was such a miserable task that I just decided to run off an external disk as my main disk. Grrr. With the MacBook Pro (not Air or Retina), maintenance is easy and I wouldn't have has a problem replacing the hard disk.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I cannot imagine buying another iMac.
BobCollins is offline   -36 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:47 PM   #23
Hexley
macrumors 6502a

I hope the iMac with Retina Display will not have soldered memory or SSD.

I want to buy 32GB of RAM from a third party and hopefully upgrade the hard drive past 4TB one day.

Also hope Apple use a serious GPU within the realm of a NVIDIA GTX 670, 680 or even a 690.
Hexley is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #24
belltree
macrumors 6502

Prediction: Ivy Bridge updated iMac and Mac Mini released in mid-late July.
belltree is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #25
musio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCollins View Post
For those of you who are anxiously awaiting an update of the iMac, I have a different question: why? What does it do for you that a MacBook Pro and a display would do for you?

I don't see any features that the iMac has that the MacBook doesn't have. Please educate me.

I have a several year old iMac that had its hard disk fail. Repairing it was such a miserable task that I just decided to run off an external disk as my main disk. Grrr. With the MacBook Pro (not Air or Retina), maintenance is easy and I wouldn't have has a problem replacing the hard disk.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I cannot imagine buying another iMac.
We don't buy to wait for something to break down..you have to send it for repair anyhow son what difference does it make for the UPS man to pickup a iMac or macbook?

Major benefits; screen size (duh)
Cooling
Faster than MacBooks
Cheaper
I/O
musio is offline   15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion