Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
So I was reading about Mac OS X retina support over here and I had a few questions:

https://developer.apple.com/library...hResolutionOSX/Introduction/Introduction.html

1 - Will Snow Leopard properly support a .iconset?
Create a Set of Icons That Includes High-Resolution Versions
The set needs to be put into a folder whose name is <folder name>.iconset, where <folder name> is whatever name you’d like. The folder must have the .iconset extension. It might seem a little unusual for a folder to have an extension, but this extension is a signal to the system that the folder contains a set of icons.

2 - Also regarding .iconsets... once I make one, what exactly do I do with it to have it be included in my app? With .icns, I'd go into my target and drop the file onto the image well labeled "App Icon".

3 - If I only use @2x files, will they properly be downscaled on non-retina screens? What about on Snow Leopard?

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
From the linked page:

Code:
NSNumber *myValue = [[NSNumber alloc] 
                        initWithDouble:[convertPointToBacking:value].y];

Whats with [convertPointToBacking:value]? That's not valid code....

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
From the linked page:

Code:
NSNumber *myValue = [[NSNumber alloc] 
                        initWithDouble:[convertPointToBacking:value].y];

Whats with [convertPointToBacking:value]? That's not valid code....

At the bottom of the page where you read that, send feedback to Apple.

My guess is the code is missing a self (or some other object) before convertPointToBacking. But since it could be any of several different objects, depending on context, that's just a guess.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
So I was reading about Mac OS X retina support over here and I had a few questions:

https://developer.apple.com/library...hResolutionOSX/Introduction/Introduction.html

1 - Will Snow Leopard properly support a .iconset?

I would say set up your app and try it. If not then you'll need to include .icns and .iconset.

2 - Also regarding .iconsets... once I make one, what exactly do I do with it to have it be included in my app? With .icns, I'd go into my target and drop the file onto the image well labeled "App Icon".

As far as I cen tell, simply add the .iconset to your resources group. The documentation implies that the system will select the correct icons by name in the same way that [NSImage imageNamed:mad:"whatever"] does now.

3 - If I only use @2x files, will they properly be downscaled on non-retina screens? What about on Snow Leopard?

Don't use only @2x files. You'll need non-@2x images for non-retina use, so you need to include both.

----------

At the bottom of the page where you read that, send feedback to Apple.

My guess is the code is missing a self (or some other object) before convertPointToBacking. But since it could be any of several different objects, depending on context, that's just a guess.

Thanks chown, I'll do that. I wanted to be sure it wasn't some new-fangled sytax I hadn't seen before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.