Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
So I've been using my RMBP for about a week now and I love it. I can't see myself wanting another laptop anytime soon. Especially since this model will likely be the current design for 5-6 years. However, the more I think about it, I wonder if I'll regret not getting 16GB of RAM and just getting the base model. I don't do anything now that even takes up 8GB Ram, probably not close, but I want to be able to game on this computer and run a few intensive apps from time to time (Visual Studio in Parallels, etc). Assuming I keep this computer for let's say 4-5 years, will 16GB be recommended by that time? I know it'll probably be standard in nicer laptops, but will it be necessary for newer applications? Especially since Windows 8 is coming out and I'll be running that in Bootcamp and Parallels, I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake by not future proofing my laptop. Or is it future proofed?

Let me know what y'all think!

photosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2012
My response from an earlier thread:

I was just reminiscing about the good old days when I had just upgraded the ram in my PC from 4Mb to 24Mb, which was, at the time, a ludicrous amount of RAM. Windows 95 had not yet been released, and I hated windows 3.1, and tried to do everything from the command line.

I was so thrilled! I made a ram drive, and installed games on it for blazing fast load times, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I'm thinking that was around 1995ish?

So yeah. Maybe 16gigs isn't such a bad idea. You probably don't need it now, but Moores Law is a bitch. I wish I could remember what I payed for that upgrade. Would probably make me sick to think about it.

Edit: Further thoughts:
Tandy 1000 - 1986 or so 256kB - 640kB
Windows 95 - 1995 - Suggested 4Mb ram
Windows 98 - 1998 - Suggested 24Mb ram. Apparently, I was prepared for this 3 years earlier!
Windows XP - 2001 - Suggested 128Mb ram.
Windows Vista - 2006 - 1 gig suggested.
Windows 7 - 2009 - Minimum 2gig for 64bit.

So, I figure we're at the 4 mark, verging on 8 now for a basic system. Another year, we'll be solid 8. Following the pattern, in 3 years, it'll be 16. So, in three years, 16 will be the equivalent of having 4 today.

Edit:
But my inner devil's advocate say's that the equivalent of 4 today would be plenty when it's getting close to time you're going to want to upgrade the entire computer anyway.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
close

I am very strongly considering returning my base and custom ordering a base /w 16gb ram

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
What are your uses? If you browse web, watch videos, movies, skype, facebook, + do some light photo or video editing now and then (or similar) 8GB is MORE THAN NECESSARY. Just because Apple offers 16GB doesn't mean you sheep have to buy it. 8GB is enough for most uses.

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
SF Bay Area and Chicago Area
you will regret it. i ordered the 16. The only heavy thing i do is photo editing with RAW files on Aperture. Can i get by with 8, sure. !6 is just the smart choice to get on our part. You never know if you will ned it down the line. Great marketing/sales tactic by Apple though by making it non removable. When new stuff comes.......you have to upgrade .) Being in sales and marketing, i respect them on that. :D

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I think the 8GB will do it. Memory usage you may exceed with that may not be noticed as it will likely be just a burst page out. And with the SSD speed offered in the new system, I think you will never notice it. My MBA (Mid 2011) with an SSD much slower than the new systems handles everything rather well at 4GB. Not like I know when the page out happens anyway. I think the 16GB group may be justifying the expense. I don't know. I think I will go with the 8GB with the very fast SSD for occasional page outs won't disturb my "work".

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
While 8GB is perfectly fine for almost everything right now, definitely go with the 16GB if you are getting the Retina display model. Especially if you plan to keep the computer a while. Whatever RAM you choose when you order it is what you get and there's no changing it. As others said, in a matter of years, 8GB will be considered a minimal amount, and 16GB will be more than sufficient for OS X and other software updates for many years to come.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I work for an AASP, at least 2-3 times a week we get a phone call or carry-in with 2010/2011 MacBook Air owners looking to upgrade their RAM. All very disappointed to learn they are un-upgradable. 'Nuff said.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I ordered the base model with 16 gigs of ram, but I'm still making up my mind. I have a few days to decide if I want to cancel so I shall see what happens.

I would just like to have the laptop and not have to worry about upgrading within 2 years minimum. Hopefully it'll stay powerful enough for at least 2-3 years.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
What about Final Cut Pro?

Deciding between a bigger (512 gb hard drive) and more RAM (16Gb) I'll probably go with more RAM, as it can't be upgraded later.

Applications I use most are Capture One for RAW and Photoshop.

FCP X will be a new app to work with (currently on FCP 6).

wundram

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
If you are running Visual Studio in a VM, you really should have 16GB. Visual Studio is a real memory hog, so you would want to give your VM 8GB, leaving you 8GB for MacOS.

Anyway, its better to have the 16GB and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The first will cost you $200, the second will cost you $3000 for a new notebook.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
If you are running Visual Studio in a VM, you really should have 16GB. Visual Studio is a real memory hog, so you would want to give your VM 8GB, leaving you 8GB for MacOS.

Anyway, its better to have the 16GB and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The first will cost you $200, the second will cost you $3000 for a new notebook.

Well spoken. I think I'll take the hit and get the 16GB...hopefully 2.3 GHZ Quad core won't be too terrible in 3 years.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
8gb is more than enough. If you feel that you are running out of memory just exit some apps. Or restart your computer to clear some caches. Anyway but my trusty 4 Gb macbook pro and my 2gb macbook air still up to their task. So I dont see 5 to 6 years from now. 8 GB is not enough. Specially Apple is trying to move towards IOS. Ipad with 256 mb of memory can run IOS I dont see why do you need more than 16 gb. Unless Apple force you too with their compatibility Horse S*!t

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
How many of you are going to upgrade the OS to Mountain Lion? I wonder how this would affect how much memory you have. I have an early 2011 MBP in which I just upgraded to 8GB of crucial memory yesterday.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Seriously, this one again?

I run 8GB of RAM in my 2010 13", with PS, aperture, coda, safari with 20 windows/tabs, opera, firefox, chrome, reeder, tweetdeck, splashtop, mail, all open with loads going on and I never really hit 8GB, and if i do it's quickly purged when I close the programs.

And I never restart or shutdown the computer.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
How many of you are going to upgrade the OS to Mountain Lion? I wonder how this would affect how much memory you have. I have an early 2011 MBP in which I just upgraded to 8GB of crucial memory yesterday.

I dont understand why will Mountain Lion became a resource hog. When they are trying to covert Mac OS into IOS feature

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ

If you have the Early 2011, why not spend a little more money and put 16GB in?

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
What are your uses? If you browse web, watch videos, movies, skype, facebook, + do some light photo or video editing now and then (or similar) 8GB is MORE THAN NECESSARY. Just because Apple offers 16GB doesn't mean you sheep have to buy it. 8GB is enough for most uses.
There is no such thing as too much RAM and too much storage.

Let that sink inside your head please.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
There is no such thing as too much RAM and too much storage.

There is such a thing as a gigantic waste of money.

This thread and many of the responses in it literally make me roll my eyes. There's a whole lot of hyperbole and hogwash going on here. For some users, sure, 16GB makes sense. For most, unless you plan to stretch your Mac for 5+ years -- which I would argue is a really stupid idea in the first place -- 8GB is and will be just fine. Mountain Lion runs perfectly well, with lots of apps going (VMs excluded), on a machine with 4GB of RAM. I'm jamming along on it right at this moment on an Early 2008 MBP with a couple browsers running, some Flash junk going, a couple other apps open, and still 1.5GB totally 100% free.

No, I do not believe you will "regret" getting 8GB. I got the base model and am happy to know that the $200 + tax I saved, adjusted for compounded interest, will make a serious dent into my next MacBook Pro, whenever I so choose to purchase it (probably next year).

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
There is such a thing as a gigantic waste of money.

rofl.

Every Apple product is a gigantic waste of money, sir. How's that for a reality check?

If there is indeed such a thing as a gigantic waste of money, why aren't we impeaching Obama right now over his frivolous wasteful spending of the nation's finances since 2009?

You're not making any sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.