Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evonietzsche

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
Was searching about updating ram, whats really /performances diferences, and would it worth it between those kinda rams and the owc from macsales?

EBAY:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/2x-8GB-16GB-N...#ht_3564wt_991

or

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Komputerbay-1...#ht_500wt_1031

VS

Macsales:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../1333DDR3S16P/

I'm wondering thats theres no should have any diferents on perfomance, or any risk, maybe temperatures, due the material components but,warranty life too.

Really worth to expend almost twice for the OWC?

Thanks, arguments will be appreciated.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
rofl.

Every Apple product is a gigantic waste of money, sir. How's that for a reality check?

If there is indeed such a thing as a gigantic waste of money, why aren't we impeaching Obama right now over his frivolous wasteful spending of the nation's finances since 2009?

You're not making any sense.
Que?

The point is there is no such thing as a gigantic waste of money as the other guy claimed. What other people see as "you're spending too much money when you can get better for less", we see it as "money well spent". The value of money is relative.

My sister complains my mother spends too much money on clothes she'll never wear. My mom thinks otherwise. So it's not really a waste of money as she perceives, is it?

Apple products aren't overpriced, really, otherwise I wouldn't have bought my iPhone last year at launch. I used that line to prove the other guy has no idea what he's talking about.

I'm going to ignore your asinine (and irrelevant) political comment that demonstrated your general lack of knowledge of federal spending in the last decade or so. As well as how the American political system works, including the purpose of impeachment.

I claimed that the vast, vast majority of prosumers do not now, nor will they in even a few years, need or even take advantage of 16GB of RAM. I provided some evidence to support that point, and noted that the $200+tax+interest could be applied to upgrading the laptop sooner. How on earth does that not make sense to you?

I bought my rMBP with 16 GB ram since I have every intention of running Windows 7 (and then Windows 8 once it is released) in VM. I do believe that 8 GB would have been enough, but with 16, I know that I can allocate 8 GB ram to Mac and another 8 GB to Windows 7 while it is running.

I don't know what you do on your Windows installation, but I often run both my Windows 7 and Windows XP virtual machines comfortably in an 8GB footprint.

Depends on your usage, it's that simple, and you can't predict what your usage needs will be in 3-4 years, so, buy the most you can afford. Look at MacBook Air adopters who took 2GB of RAM (double the OS minimum) and now struggle with multitasking in Lion.

That's because the MBA was gimped, even by then-current standards, and everyone knew it. And that was because the MBA sacrificed specs for form. The analogy doesn't hold when compared to MBPs and Retina.

"Buy the most you can afford" isn't the only viable approach. And by the time 8GB seems long in the tooth, you'll be feeling it on the CPU and GPU side too. Hence my personal philosophy of not buying top-of-the-line but upgrading much more frequently, which always ensures I'm using the latest and greatest hardware and, if you do it right, isn't costly.

Last edited:

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I claimed that the vast, vast majority of prosumers do not now, nor will they in even a few years, need or even take advantage of 16GB of RAM. I provided some evidence to support that point, and noted that the $200+tax+interest could be applied to upgrading the laptop sooner. How on earth does that not make sense to you?
When I specced my desktop 3-4 years ago, 2GB RAM was the recommended size for Windows. I went with 4. But the hardware I had couldn't go beyond 4GB without matched single-sided RAM.

By the end of last year, 4GB isn't simply a recommended computer RAM size, it was the bare minimum.

Sure I don't need 16GB now. In a few years? Especially since I cannot upgrade the MBPR's RAM? And no, I'm not upgrading every year, so $200 is meaningless.
I don't know what you do on your Windows installation, but I often run both my Windows 7 and Windows XP virtual machines comfortably in an 8GB footprint.
Read above.
That's because the MBA was gimped, even by then-current standards, and everyone knew it. And that was because the MBA sacrificed specs for form. The analogy doesn't hold when compared to MBPs and Retina.
Not according to Apple's cash registers.

Like it or not, Apple isn't catering to the pro folks anymore. XServe is gone. 17" MBP axed. Mac Pro got a slight spec bump and a 'promise' it might be updated 'soon'. Do I like where Apple is going with the Mac lines? No, I don't. But I don't think most Apple customers will care.
"Buy the most you can afford" isn't the only viable approach. And by the time 8GB seems long in the tooth, you'll be feeling it on the CPU and GPU side too. Hence my personal philosophy of not buying top-of-the-line but upgrading much more frequently, which always ensures I'm using the latest and greatest hardware and, if you do it right, isn't costly.
I used to think like that with digital cameras. Looking back at it, I spent too much money just to "Keep up with the Joneses". The allure of having the latest and greatest just isn't there anymore. It costs too much money without any ability to write it off against my income taxes. The hassle just isn't worth it.

Upgrading every year just for the sake of having the latest and greatest, without a proper reason to justify it, is - as you said yourself - a gigantic waste of money.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Nothing uses 8gb or RAM, unless you have like 2+ programs rendering things. Keep your money!

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
lol there are so many mixed opinions in this thread I have no idea what to do...

someone mentioned that it'll be nice to run parallels with 8GB allocated to each OS, which I agree with, but then it comes down to whether I get close to using 8GB in either OS, and the answers probably not...

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
If you're a power user and run more then one VM all day (Parallels/VMWare), a Professional Photographer, work with very large Photoshop files (were talking gigs not a few hundred megs), do any kind of hardcore video editing or effects (think After Effects), Pro music AND plan to keep that machine around for more then a year or two I'd get the 16gb.

----------

lol there are so many mixed opinions in this thread I have no idea what to do...

someone mentioned that it'll be nice to run parallels with 8GB allocated to each OS, which I agree with, but then it comes down to whether I get close to using 8GB in either OS, and the answers probably not...

Just get the 16gb, you will obsess over it if you don't. When always in doubt like that you're better of spending a little extra money relieve the obsessing. Trust me you will sleep better at night ;)

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
if you don't know whether you need 8gb or 16gb, then you don't need it.

Several people have sort of said that, and ATM I'm not running any VM's because I'm waiting for a 64bit Win 7 copy and I also am not positive how long I will keep my computer...I can see myself selling in 2 or selling in 5.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Upgrading every year just for the sake of having the latest and greatest, without a proper reason to justify it, is - as you said yourself - a gigantic waste of money.

Most of the rest of your post is either gibberish or addressed in my previous posts, or those of others. However, I did want to comment on this one little bit at the end. Upgrading every year can actually be a very cost-effective proposition -- if you're smart and patient about it. Quite a few times, I've actually made money selling a machine right before an announcement and limping by for a matter of days on a standby machine until a new one arrived. If you don't BTO, you can get machines significantly cheaper than the full Apple retail price plus tax. That's all I'm going to say about the matter.

If you're smart about your upgrades (i.e., buying the low-end models almost always), how you purchase new machines, and selling your old ones, each upgrade will often cost you around $200-$300. My upgrade from my early 2011 MBP (i.e., 2-generations old) to Retina will cost me $400 total, and that's the most out of pocket I've ever been for an upgrade.

jcpb, your posts amuse me due to their assumptions and their...how shall I put it...creative rhetoric. Please keep them coming. Also, since you apparently just paid $3249 + tax for your 2.7/16/512 laptop, I'd invite you to compare notes with me in a mere 18 months. I will either: (1) have spent a bit less than you and have way more firepower; or (2) have spent a heck of a lot less than you and have almost equivalent firepower. Either way, my strategy is vastly superior.

Trey, I can think of very few instances where you need or want to allocate a full 8GB to Windows. Perhaps you can talk about what you do and what you foresee yourself doing in the Windows environment? That would help folks weigh in and offer more customized advice.

Last edited:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Confused, tons of page-outs with 8 GB during very minor usage

What is going on? I have Mail, Safari, and Terminal apps open, as well as Preview, Keynote, and Evernote. Several GBs of page-outs during each session. What am I doing wrong?

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Most of the rest of my post is either gibberish or addressed in my previous posts, or those of others.
ftfy
However, I did want to comment on this one little bit at the end. Upgrading every year can actually be a very cost-effective proposition -- if you're smart and patient about it.
That's just money, and money by itself is meaningless. The non-money aspect is just as important. Surprising you're not addressing that.
Also, since you apparently just paid $3249 + tax for your 2.7/16/512 laptop, I'd invite you to compare notes with me in a mere 18 months. I will either: (1) have spent a bit less than you and have way more firepower; or (2) have spent a heck of a lot less than you and have almost equivalent firepower. Either way, my strategy is vastly superior.
Sorry, kid, not interested. Play those games with yourself instead.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
ftfy

That's just money, and money by itself is meaningless. The non-money aspect is just as important. Surprising you're not addressing that.

Sorry, kid, not interested. Play those games with yourself instead.

The lack of a coherent or intelligent reply is oh-so-unsurprising. My original points stand Q.E.D.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Stick with the 8gb model. I don't know why you'd need 16gb at this time. And I don't know why you'd need it in 3 years. Why? OSs and apps are getting more lightweight. It's not like it was 10 years ago when every new iteration required you to upgrade your computer. Right now,both apple and Microsoft are in the process of combining their mobile and desktop OSs. Windows 8 uses significantly fewer resources than Windows 7. I seriously doubt Mountain Lion will be "heavier" than Lion. And neither will the next version of OS X be.

If there's anything that's going to be an issue in a few years, it's probably the graphics board and you don't have a choice there right now anyway.

Concerning re-sale value: if you believe you'll be able to sell a rMBP for more than 1700$ in 3 years, no matter which version you chose, you're wrong. It's the same for cars: the most expensive models lose 50% of their value in the first year. The less expensive only 20%.

+1

Spot on but alot of people don't want to hear it.

Lots of people doing vlogs with FCPX on an Air with 4GB.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Concerning re-sale value: if you believe you'll be able to sell a rMBP for more than 1700$ in 3 years, no matter which version you chose, you're wrong. It's the same for cars: the most expensive models lose 50% of their value in the first year. The less expensive only 20%.

In regards to mac resale value, it has a lot to do with demand and the fact that apple controls the value of their products, that price then trickles down to private resale value respectively. This is not the case with all products, If you buy an alienware laptop for $3000-4000 which has higher specs than a macbook pro, the macbook pro will still be worth a lot more in the long run, you may even have trouble selling for a very reasonable price.

This is best illustrated when you look at iphones and mac pro's they hold their value for a very long time, resale value aside if you try to sell apple products you will have no problem finding buyers.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So I've been using my RMBP for about a week now and I love it. I can't see myself wanting another laptop anytime soon. Especially since this model will likely be the current design for 5-6 years.
Let me know what y'all think!

If you are really planning on holding it for 5-6 years, go ahead and spend the extra $200 and get 16GB now. On the other hand, if you think that you'll be tempted by the Haswell version next year (which may offer a big boost in CPU speed and battery life) or the Broadwell version in 2 years, then stick with the base. Base models keep a higher percentage of their original value over time.

Of course, I tend to buy new every year and get the high end (acting against my own best interests), but from a $/value perspective, base models are better values. At the time of purchase, more RAM will extend life more than a faster processor. The difference in speed between the fastest and slowest processor is about 20%. The difference between running out of RAM and not is much bigger. Who knows what the memory requirements of programs in 3-4 years will be? I can remember when my computer had 256K of RAM (yes, K) and we (i.e. my parents) had to spend months looking for and about $500 to bump it up to the whopping 640K that MS-DOS could use.

----------

In regards to mac resale value, it has a lot to do with demand and the fact that apple controls the value of their products, that price then trickles down to private resale value respectively. This is not the case with all products, If you buy an alienware laptop for $3000-4000 which has higher specs than a macbook pro, the macbook pro will still be worth a lot more in the long run, you may even have trouble selling for a very reasonable price.

This is best illustrated when you look at iphones and mac pro's they hold their value for a very long time, resale value aside if you try to sell apple products you will have no problem finding buyers.

I think the point, though, is that in 2-3 years, or even 1 year, no one cares so much about the difference between the high end and low end from before. It's still "old" technology. I know from personal experience. I purchased the late-2008 MacBook Air in November 2008 and kept it until November 2010 when the Rev D's came out. The base model was $1500. I opted for the SSD model that I was able to get for $2400 ($100 less than Apple's list). While I certainly enjoyed my first experience with an SSD (even though it was a slowpoke by today's standards), purely from a financial perspective, I'd have been better off with the base. I got $800 for my late-2008 in 2010, or depreciation of $1600. I could have bought the base late-2008 and just kept it and still been $100 better off.

Similarly, today the base rMPB is $2200, and the next step up is $2800. I'd guess that 2 years out, you'll get about $1000 for the base, and maybe $1200 for the next step up.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

Ditto this. I've sold roughly a dozen Apple laptops since circa 2002, and I've never spent more than 1-2 weeks finding someone willing to pay a "good" price.

I have noticed a slight decline in resale values in the past year or so, but I'm partially attributing that to the general increase in supply that's outstripping the increase in demand for used MBPs. That's entirely speculative and based largely on anecdotal evidence, however.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
This thread is a little surprising because so much arguing and ridiculing over something so meaningless. That said got my 16GB yesterday that I paid $100 bucks for. I have no regrets there are no downsides, and I sleep great knowing I have it. So what do I do with my MBP besides troll forums? Well I run Parallels with Windows 7 x64 and I give it 4GB of RAM. What else? Well I use photoshop quite a bit, AutoCAD once and a while. Bottom line did I "need" 16GB of RAM nope, just wanted it. Now I run what I want as many as I want and don't even think about it. Love how cheap RAM is I remember paying $250 for 8MB yes 8MB so 16GB for $100 bucks "no brainer". I don't get what the big deal is, if you want more RAM got get it you don't need a reason. I don't wait for my computer to come to a screeching halt before I replace something so simple.

mat25

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Im going to University for engineering next year, think I should go for the 8GB or 16GB? Thanks

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
something so meaningless.

$200 (which is the cost we're talking about on the rMBP) is nothing to me and, it sounds like, to you. But it's something substantial and significant to a lot of people. And where I have a beef is when people use fear-mongering to lead those people who do have some financial constraints to make sub-optimal decisions.

Just to be 100% clear, I have no problems with people spending their money in any way they see fit. It's when people's decisions start getting affected by the "advice" of others, when such advice is poor or not facts-based, that I get my panties in a wad.

choffy

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Glendale, AZ
I went with 8GB. I'm still having this same debate over and over in my head, but in the end in 3 years (when I plan on upgrading this laptop), 8GB will not be outdated. Sure 12GB or 16GB will be the standard, but my friend's 2007 MacBook runs Lion well enough with 4GB of RAM. I'm assuming 8GB of RAM will do the same.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
$200 (which is the cost we're talking about on the rMBP) is nothing to me and, it sounds like, to you. But it's something substantial and significant to a lot of people. And where I have a beef is when people use fear-mongering to lead those people who do have some financial constraints to make sub-optimal decisions.

Just to be 100% clear, I have no problems with people spending their money in any way they see fit. It's when people's decisions start getting affected by the "advice" of others, when such advice is poor or not facts-based, that I get my panties in a wad.

Ya I figured out that people were talking about the RMBP and that its built into the machine. If I was going to spend the money on that machine I would certainly spend the extra $200. If I couldn't afford the extra $200 I would not buy the machine..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.