Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I love my iMac and iBook, but when my buddies ask me who makes the processor I am unsure. I have heard that Motorolla makes some of them and that IBM makes some of them too. Is the PPC like a coop effort or does one company make one (ie; G3 made by one company; G4 made by the other) or do both make both and if so which one do I have if anyone knows just by the models. Well thanks for the help, my models are listed below. Catch you all later!

V

VH

The Power PC is a joined venture between Apple, IBM and Motorola. The processors are manufactured by both IBM and Motorola. However IBM does not use Altivec (Velocity Engine) in its incarnations of the G4 processor.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
There is a partnership between Apple, IBM + Motorola (aka AIM). At the present moment IBM makes the G3 + Motorola makes the G4. Originally they were developed with co-operation but when "Altivec" was added to the G4 by motorola IBM did not agree with that and continued to develop the G3 on their own. However, both chips are similar in design.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
There is no easy answer.

Apple, Motorolla and IBM share the patent on the Power PC architecture. Most PPC chips have been made by Motorolla with IBM doing research and serving as leverage on Motorolla for Apple. Some runs of PPC were produced for short periods by IBM to make up for shortfalls in production by Motorolla. Apple threatens Moto with switching to IBM full time when they need a stimulus. Browsing the public records on the IBM and Motorolla websites should give you data on which runs were produced by whom. The recent agreement with Sony may mean Apple may get them producing chips, this would be a much needed boost and bring down costs. All this assumes Sony makes their own chips and that IBM and Motorolla would go along with it. :cool:

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
catching up, eyelikeart?

you will pass spikey up soon and are closing in on my old handle very fast

soon you will be the "old" man/woman/kid of macrumors and be the target of monkeybusiness and joeyj

congrats on your way to being the mac world's guru in residence on the interenet!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
he he he...

thanks for the words of encouragement....

more like making up for lost time last year....

I'm still waiting to get screwed with for something other than my avatar!

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: messing with something other than avatar

ok, here is one for you

you are from new orleans, a great city with an nfl franchise football team

but for many of the non-american posters on this site, your location of new orleans, la could be taken as a suburb of los angeles, california

any mention of "la" in the west refers to the city of los angeles where i am sure some posters think you are from...btw, a city without an nfl team

that is why i put california, usa so people would know where i am from

the british posters put london or uk and would not put sw2 westminster or something like that where only the english would know what that meant

how's that for nitpicky?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ok networkman

so would New Orleans, USA be better? :p

maybe I should include the fact of our....um.....football team?

he he he... ;)

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
Re: re: messing with something other than avatar

Originally posted by networkman

but for many of the non-american posters on this site, your location of new orleans, la could be taken as a suburb of los angeles, california

any mention of "la" in the west refers to the city of los angeles where i am sure some posters think you are from...btw, a city without an nfl team

that is why i put california, usa so people would know where i am from

the british posters put london or uk and would not put sw2 westminster or something like that where only the english would know what that meant

how's that for nitpicky?

We non-americans cringe all the time when we see your state after your city. We know what you are talking about, we know our geography. We know what Paris the Seine runs through. New Orleans, not in South central. NW6 6T*

U

Unregistered

Actually I work at IBM Burlington. Any of the Power PC chips that are copper are IBM not Motorola. The G4's that Apple uses sadly are not made by us.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
location awareness and chipmaker

<I'll change my location on that note>

why, everybody knows where New Orleans is.
Like somebody says "Toronto, Canada" like where is the other Toronto?

to the point of the thread . . .

IBM or Motorola?

There is a utility app, from powerlogic maybe (Guagepro?) that will tell you what chip you have and who made it etc, check on xlr8yourmac.com, thats where I got mine. I think. Also tells you how hot it runs. possibly useful.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
re: new orleans

right now motorola has the ball in their court with the new imac out if it sells well

...and as far as new orleans, many of us in california do know that it is in the south but not everybody knows it is in lousiana

heck, the new orleans saints football team is in the nfc "west" and new orleans is nowhere near the west coast

we are in such a big country that the average american cannot pinpoint the largest 24 american cities on the map

what is the largest american city in geographical size? los angeles, chicago, or new york? no...it is oklahoma city

what is the capital of new york state? new york city? no...it is albany

new york has the most people but who is the second largest city in population in the us? chicago? no...los angeles (but you couldn't tell from its puny skyline compared to chicago

i know toronto is in ontario but so is a city called london

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Did you know:

Santa Cruz County has the most disproportionate cost of living to income ratio? IE: I earn $11.00/Hr. and pay about $1200.00 in bills a month.......and I'm paying 1/2 the market rent.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
damn...

that's insane....

I really love California....but it is just so damned expensive to live out there....didn't I read somewhere that u don't own a Mac? If so, then I can understand why....and pardon me if I'm incorrect on this...

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
santa cruz is cheap

...really

try monterey peninsula (golf and retirement region for the nearly dead and the nearly dead) where the lowly paid bartenders have 2 master's degrees, multimedia is the next door kid's x-box, and the average oceanfront home has no yardspace yet brings in 1.5 million in real estate value

high rent and no jobs to speak of

drop out of junior high and work at mcdonald's for seven and hour or graduate from college and work at the mall for seven an hour...it's your choice

but santa cruz county, as taken as a whole, does have the lowest wages and salaries in america as opposed to the sky high rent...some people spend 75 percent of their net income on the rent alone

outside of the monterey peninsula in the outer regions of monterey county is blessed with much cheaper rent so overall santa cruz county is very hard to survive in

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I own an iMac 333

By the grace of a Parent who works in (non R&D) Apple middle management; there were good deals when the "slot-loaders" came out. Check out the "brag" thread for the cool stuff. I've amped it up with a 26Gb HD and 256.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.