Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just days after Apple won an injunction barring U.S. sales of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, Reuters reports that the same judge has issued a second preliminary injunction that would bar sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone.
"Apple has made a clear showing that, in the absence of a preliminary injunction, it is likely to lose substantial market share in the smartphone market and to lose substantial downstream sales of future smartphone purchases and tag-along products," Judge Koh said in Friday's ruling.
The new Galaxy Nexus injunction is a much more significant victory for Apple than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction, as evidenced by the $95 million bond Apple will need to post in order for the injunction to take effect. The bond money, which amounted to only $2.6 million in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 case, would be used to compensate Samsung should Apple ultimately lose the case when it goes to full trial.

samsung_galaxy_nexus.jpg

The Galaxy Nexus has been Google's flagship device for showing off its Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating system since late last year, and was given away to attendees at this week's Google I/O conference as part of a package showing off the forthcoming Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" update.

Article Link: Apple Wins Injunction Barring U.S. Sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Apple really just needs to stop with this. It's make them look really insecure.

P.S. I have an iPhone so I have no agenda.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Among all Samsung phones, the Galaxy Nexus has the least resemblance to the iPhone. :rolleyes:

In this case the lawsuit is not about hardware but software: there are 4 software patents the Galaxy Nexus is considered by the judge to violate, the most important has to do with Siri

EDIT: beaten by chrm jenkins

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
One day, what comes around goes around. A modern smartphone involves over 200,000 patents, and you would be naive to believe Apple doesn't infringe any one of them.

Last edited:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
In this case the lawsuit is not about hardware but software: there are 4 software patents the Galaxy Nexus is considered by the judge to violate, the most important has to do with Siri

EDIT: beaten by chrm jenkins

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have Siri-like functionality.

joelisfar

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Last dying breath

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.”

“I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

Aug 26, 2008
“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.”

“I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

Problem is Steve Jobs was wrong. These patents, and their enforcement, are completely ridiculous.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Go Apple!! Finally, some justice is being served in this country!!

No justice here, that phone looks nothing like an iPhone maybe the tablet did but this phone is a joke. I guess Apple is pissed at what happen before and Samsung not playing ball. But with billions to burn I can see Apple playing Microsofts game for years to come. :(

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Apple won't win if this goes to trial and it will cost them the $9m bond, whatever money they paid this judge to grant the injunction and Samsugs legal fees not to mention their own.

LagFighter

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Shame that it came to this. This injunction will hit Google where it really hurts.

Who is in the right? Well, I stand by my belief that Google did directly rip off of a lot of core software technologies in iPhone. That said, Apple is violating the spirit of competition with this lawsuit.

I think poor Samsung is the real loser here though.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Apple sees Google's OS and $349 unlocked price and sues everything in sight. They see a major threat and go for the jugular legal-wise. Psst: it's called competition.

Sigh. Apple seems to want nobody to push them with competing products. Their basis for this is far-reaching...google is a search company, of course their phone software will perform basic and advanced search functions (including voice). They really need to chill out with all this suing crap. It's tacky.

I'm honestly considering selling my iPad and Macbook out of principle. I'm quickly losing respect for Apple's management. They are behaving like children. It's hard to support a company that quickly moves to stifle competition and innovation.

The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing device and Jelly Bean is a superb OS. Apple knows this and they are scrambling to eliminate competition.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have Siri-like functionality.

Even if it did that is a Google made OS not a Samsung one. Apple is pulling a page out of Microsofts playbook, sue as long as possible and stifle competition or until they play ball. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.