Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old Jul 25, 2005, 05:04 PM   #1
paperinacup
macrumors 6502

How does Apple Care work?

Is this like a replacement plan where lets say I bought a Powerbook and 2 years down the road I've had 10 repairs on it. At that point do they replace it with the latest Powerbook or a refurb of the 2 year old one I already have?
paperinacup is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2005, 05:19 PM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

If your kit develops a fault within the warranty period it will be repaired for free under the extended warranty. I would imagine that in some exceptional cases people have had replacement systems, but that's not the general rule of how it works AFAIK.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 05:28 PM   #3
paperinacup
macrumors 6502

Hmm I am thinking I'll just get it anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 05:57 PM   #4
wide
macrumors 6502a

applecare is definately a good idea. it's worth noting, however, that it can be purchased up to a year after the purchase date of the computer. so you might want to spend the money you would spend on applecare now on a better computer, and then buy the applecare 11 months after you buy the computer.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2005, 06:59 PM   #5
reh
macrumors 6502a

I recently had a 2.5 year-old iBook replaced with a brand new model via AppleCare after it had it's fifth problem requiring a mail-in.
reh is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:38 PM   #6
katie ta achoo
macrumors 601
Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh
I recently had a 2.5 year-old iBook replaced with a brand new model via AppleCare after it had it's fifth problem requiring a mail-in.

"Hey.. apple.. my PowerBook just suddenly shrank 2 inches. I could have sworn it was a 17" er! Send me a new one?"

Anywhoo, I'm gonna buy me some apple care on April 15, 2 weeks before my warranty wears out, on my birthday... to get me a job application. (I need a steady income!!)
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:44 PM   #7
paperinacup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. If something goes terribly wrong would they actually replace instead of continuasly try to repair it.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:21 PM   #8
drake
macrumors 6502a

The way I see it, you give them a pile of money, and they take it.
drake is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:31 PM   #9
SurfinSHELL23
macrumors regular

I wish Dell's warranty worked like that... unfortunately it seems that it doesn't. Glad my next Mac will be replacing my Dell laptop.
SurfinSHELL23 is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:58 PM   #10
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
i was able to trade in a faulty ibook for the money back and get my current powerbook for only 500 dollars after the 1000 back from the ibook
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Dell's warranty is better for what you get. With AppleCare, you get nothing if it's your own fault. You only get repairs if the problem is due to a manufacturing defect or something. Of course, that's something they should cover for free, as it's not my fault their product only worked for 17 months (for example).

With Dell, at least they cover accidents if you get the right protection. Reasonable price, too.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:14 PM   #12
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperinacup
Thats exactly what I wanted to know. If something goes terribly wrong would they actually replace instead of continuasly try to repair it.
that's a definite maybe yes and maybe no and it all depends on what the problem is and how they're feeling about things that day.........there's nothing in writing that says you get a replacement after a certain number of attempts at repair.......but some people do get replacements.....and some don't
Macky-Mac is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)