Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
As many here know, I abhor the plywood crap from portenzo, treegloo, dodo and the others as it warps long term. I have owned at least 6 of them for my business staff and junked them all after 6 months of use as they could not hold up to a business environment. Esp if you take the case on the road and take the iPad in an out a lot. But that does not mean I'm done looking for a solid business foio. I am at this point VERY happy with a case I received this week from Spiegen called the Valentinus. It is everything I and my reps need on the road. As usual, I don't give damn about the price ($107), if it's good stuff.

The pluses
1. holds paper and business cards
2. made well, nice color, conducive to business
3. configuration is the old iPad 1 case, which I found to work well.
4. Nice leather
5. and the big one: no plywood frame to warp and look "wood like" ( a minus in some business situations), held in with a nice subtle plastic tray that snaps in perfectly and stays in the background in use. No big frame around the pad, iPad bezel completely exposed and clean.
6. magnet on off works perfectly
7. cover folds back flat like ipad1 case

The minuses:
1. only two positions like the old iPad 1 case

So here's the pics:

The tray that holds the pad
0d60f2e7.jpg

old Ipad1 configuration and angles:
f505c433.jpg

Nice stitching
34e35b44.jpg

Business cards and the like
0941c7c6.jpg

The back
9288786c.jpg

the front
bec80b98.jpg

If the leather holds up and the stitching stays together, this will be the nicest folio case I have owned...

link:
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/the-new-ipad/the-new-ipad-diary-case-valentinus-series.html

Last edited:

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Completely agree. Have it in black. Best folio I've owned and I've owned too many. 2+ weeks and still loving it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    745.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Thanks, that is one of the nicest folios I have seen yet! I might have to order one for business. I kind of wish manufacturers would quit embossing their logos on the covers, but almost all of them do it, so I am pretty used to it. Really, looks super!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
wow that looks super nice! I have seen it on their website, but the actual product looks even better. Nice review!

I went to a meeting this morning of about 12 people in a conf room...the meeting stopped when I laid it down. There were 4 other pads in the room and I was told to pass it around. It really is that nice...

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Very classy indeed, lovely stitching.
Thanks for the review, and enjoy the case!

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
very nice leather.. I wish their Folio.S and Folio series used the same frameless backshell as the Valentinus (and also working magnets).

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
FYI, I have HORRIBLE experience with their Stehen suede case and they have HORRIBLE customer service. This is MY opinion/experience and others may have different experiences.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Mine fell apart after only 3 months - Yoobao are my cases of choice now - especially the "Executive"

Seriously. I am pissed again after getting a notification email for your reply.

I paid $90 for my Stehen model from SGP, $90 is a lot of money for a case. I wish I had kept my other Chinese case that I paid $30. It would probably be still fine. I am not saying this only for SGP but if you pay $90 for a case, you expect better quality and/or at least good customer service and a free repair or replacement. 90-day warranty is a joke, really!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1435562/

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
The thing I don't like about that case is that your cards (and money) are hanging out all over the place when you're actually using your iPad. I'm sure the fit for the cards is pretty tight, but just still seems sort of insecure. Looks good otherwise.

Talon Six

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
The Gulf Coast
FWIW, I returned mine the day after I got it. I received an obviously "pre-owned" model (at full price, nonetheless) that had a few workmanship flaws. The iPad shell was glued askew that barely aligned the camera with the pre-cut hole. No big deal since I don't use my iPad for taking pictures. Unfortunately, however, this caused the shell to extend outside the folio when it was closed.

Add on top of that the fingernail scratches and dings on the case, and I was not impressed. I took advantage of Spigen's refund policy, but it's been "processing" since 22 August.

The whole debacle has been a pain and will be the last time Spigen gets my business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.