Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Apple's current 4S is massively outdated when it comes to comparing it with other Android devices. All rumors (quad core processor, 4G lte, larger screen, NFC, etc) has already being done on other devices, and if Apple implemented them they're just playing catch up.

Could the next iPhone have a killer feature?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
The killer feature is all those features you mentioned but in a nice UI.

Lol at playing catch-up.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Lol at playing catch-up.

Why do you 'lol' at them playing catch up? You would have to be delusional at this point to say the next iPhone doesn't need to play catch up. I love iOS, and I still believe it is the smoothest OS on the market, but Apple isn't where they could be with hardware. Software is the key to successful mobile devices, so calling Apple unsuccessful is unfair, but their hardware really is becoming sub-par. It really is time for them to play catch up hardware-wise, and I don't mean just having a bigger screen.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Why do you 'lol' at them playing catch up? You would have to be delusional at this point to say the next iPhone doesn't need to play catch up. I love iOS, and I still believe it is the smoothest OS on the market, but Apple isn't where they could be with hardware. Software is the key to successful mobile devices, so calling Apple unsuccessful is unfair, but their hardware really is becoming sub-par. It really is time for them to play catch up hardware-wise, and I don't mean just having a bigger screen.

Name a list of things that Android can do that iPhone (JB) can't, and you'll have a list of things I don't need or care about.

And you can't say Google Nav anymore...

Hardware? They have the crispest screen and still the most gorgeous glass/glass design. Hardware is actually lacking on Android and screen size is all they have on us. For now.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Name a list of things that Android can do that iPhone (JB) can't, and you'll have a list of things I don't need or care about.

Hardware? They have the crispest screen and still the most gorgeous glass/glass design. Hardware is actually lacking on Android and screen size is all they have on us. For now.

Dude, you're delusional....HARDWARE IS LACKING ON ANDROID?!....REALLY? Im not even going to debate you on that

You cant say Google Nav? Why not? Map in iOS 6 is complete horse ****. It wont compare to Google Maps in the foreseeable future, if ever honestly. Google, OBVIOUSLY, is YEARS ahead of Apple there. Not to mention, Apple had to BUY other companies to get their map foundation started. They have a LONG way to go. No need for me to dwell on that. If you dont understand that without me having to go in depth, then you reaaaaally need help.

What about Google Now? At this point, as far as usability, its proven to be faster, AND more accurate than Siri. Yes, Siri is more conversational. But for all intensive purposes, Google Now is better then Siri.

And lastly, name things An Android device can do that a jailbroken iPhone cant? Do you not see the broken logic in what you just said? YOU JAILBREAK BECAUSE YOU WANT FEATURES APPLE DOESNT GIVE YOU. As far as features, Jelly Bean RUNS CIRCLES around iOS 6, out the box. Hell, even Jailbroken, it still beats it.

I realize theres no getting through to many of the Apple fans on this board. Both are great operating systems, but people are so blind and ACCEPT what iOS lacks, and defends it. WHY? You're the one missing out on a greater experience. One that you obviously want, because you sought the need to jailbreak your phone! So if anyone is playing catch up at this point, its definitely APPLE. But they will be widely successful anyway, because people are ready to throw their money at the next iPhone once its out!

There are alot of people who are really into tech, but still choose to use iPhones, despite some of its weaknesses, because they like the experience. But they still admit to the iPhones faults. You sir, and many others, are mindless and delusional. Apple can do no wrong and has no weaknesses in your eyes....and thats SAD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

Most iphone owners don't even know what JB means...

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
Apple's current 4S is massively outdated when it comes to comparing it with other Android devices. All rumors (quad core processor, 4G lte, larger screen, NFC, etc) has already being done on other devices, and if Apple implemented them they're just playing catch up.

You are on a forum called Mac Rumors. The killer feature is that it is designed by Apple in California. Have you learnt nothing?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

I am sorry to disagree with you but I have the SSGS3 and as far as crispness goes, I cannot tell the difference between my retina ip4 and this device DESPITE how much larger the screen is! Retina is no longer an issue unless you have a POS older phone. As far as the glass design wanna hear something wierd? The SSGS3 FEELS like a smooth polished glass disc without being weighty or thick. So what if it is polymer, it is how it feels in the hand that matters, not necessarily what it is made of.

Oh and there is NOTHING wrong with my eyes FYI.

The fact that you state using a JB actually acknowledges that you feel that the native OS is lacking, otherwise you wouldn't have voided the warranty to make the phone do things you want it to.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my iP4 the whole time I owned it but so far I am really enjoying my new device. Love comes with time and reliability imo.

I would not presume to know what you care about in a device and I don't think it was PC for one of the posters to refer to you or anyone else as a Sheep. That was out of line.

What I want to know is what is with the complete and utter BLIND devotion that people have with their electonics? Can you not look at both with an open mind and appreciate the differences without getting all zealot-y about it? (referring to everyone who just ploughs through these threads with a complete black and white mentality).

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California

The iPhone 4S is not "massively" outdated. There are only a few phones that have quad core processors, none of which have been released in US (US versions are dual core). The iPhone was released around 9 months ago. It runs just fine without any lag.

Apple will use a processor that the iPhone NEEDS. They will have LTE (new revision) that does not destroy battery life.

Honestly who cares who implements technology on their device first. What matters is who is the first one to fully utilize such technology in an optimized way. Software is very important.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Considering market share is the only truly objective measure of a products success, I'd say the real question is "What other handset can truly stand a chance of relevancy in the marketplace compared to the iPhone?"

Point.Set.Match.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
All the next iPhone needs to do is get released.

That in itself is a spotlight taking event.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
LTE is the only attractive feature. Given that in my home market and most places I travel, LTE wouldn't be useful (we have LTE, but our HSPA+ rocks anyways), I decided to stay with the 4S. Other than not having LTE, it's the perfect phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't know about this spotlight stealing stuff but some things I want personally.

LTE, but I want to be able to turn it off.
720p HD display
NFC
9 - 10 hours of talk time

Under the hood I want A5X class performance.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Why does anyone feel this "need" to have something they own in a spotlight? I'm thinking a trip to a psychiatrist is in order. Maybe this need of pseudo self importance comes from a lack of attention at home.

I personally do not care if the phone, car, house, etc. is in a spot light or not. I'm not hung up no what others think of my belongings.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Oh look. Another thread about why Android is better than iPhone, and why Apple needs to step up their game.

I've never seen a more insecure group of people than Android fans.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Oh look. Another thread about why Android is better than iPhone, and why Apple needs to step up their game.

I've never seen a more insecure group of people than Android fans.

Your missing the point of this thread clearly. The OP is just asking for a discussion to be had on what the big feature of the next iphone will be. Considering there seems to always be one blockbuster feature per release. Don't be so quick to bash people

Last edited by a moderator:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm not missing out on anything with iOS. I've had 3 different android phones and they've all been laggy, unstable in regards to the OS and battery life, inconsistent in performance, and ludicrous in regards to app selection and quality.

Who cares if I can't add widgets or theme my device? Most themes look pretty ugly to me anyway and the widgets just suck up battery life. I'd rather go into the app to use it. iOS is smooth, provides great battery life, consistent performance, is very very stable, has good customer support from Apple, and has a high quality and large selection of apps, most of which are either on Android but are terrible, or aren't on Android at all.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
In my opinion the new iPhone needs a top quality casing that has a real professional feel to it. The screen should be great, too.

CPU and GPU power can be bought by chip makers all over the world. It's only a compromise between performance and power consumption.

All other factors are influenced by software only.
The platform is the most important aspect.

Hardware is interchangeable, all handsets differ only by a slight margin.
NFC for example will only be a success when the infrastructure to use it is ready at launch.

Look at Google Wallet.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
The killer feature is that it is designed by Apple in California.

I don't normally post in these debates, but you (for me anyway) just summed it up in one!

I consider Apple's products to be premium products. Yes there are cheaper alternatives, but I personally don't like the fragmentation that Android brings for example.

I a fan of Apple's "walled garden to an extent, in that I feel the reason the product (in this case, the iPhone) works so well is that you have a device where the manufacturer designs & implements that hardware and the software and that's what pulls everything together IMO.

Also, the fact that if I have an issue with my Apple my device, I like the fact that I can take it into any Apple store and get it sorted/swapped on the spot.

In the UK, with any other make of mobile phone you are on your own in the event of a failure and you will lose the device while it goes off for repair (either sent by the shop you bought it from, or the network operator that supplied it.

Either way, you've lost it and you will be phone-less until it gets returned (often with a "no fault found when tested" note attached, despite being away for "repair" for 10 days or so. :rolleyes:

The only way to ensure you have "a" phone while it's being repaired is to take out (pay extra for) one of the myriad of insurance policies that the shops/providers offer you and more often than not, it won't be a like for like you get while your phone is away, it will be "something to tide you over".

For me, these are major driving factors in buying an iPhone over any other device (not just Android).

I actually like iOS and the way that it works. I do J/B it, but only for a couple of tweaks like 5 Icon Dock and SBSettings. I could easily live without these and it would certainly be nice for Apple to implement the features, but when I get an i5 if there's no J/B available I'll happily live without them.

I love my iPad and I love the way stuff just sync seamlessly between devices.

Am I an Apple fanboy? Maybe, but I appreciate value in quality products and that's why I can't see myself moving away from the iPhone.

Not sure if that adds to or takes away from this particular thread/debate, but I thought I'd chip in my $0.02! :D

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Your missing the point of this thread clearly. The OP is just asking for a discussion to be had on what the big feature of the next iphone will be. Considering there seems to always be one blockbuster feature per release. Don't be so quick to bash people you moron.

Nice, name calling. So what Android device do you own?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
In my opinion the new iPhone needs a top quality casing that has a real professional feel to it. The screen should be great, too.

CPU and GPU power can be bought by chip makers all over the world. It's only a compromise between performance and power consumption.

All other factors are influenced by software only.
The platform is the most important aspect.

Hardware is interchangeable, all handsets differ only by a slight margin.
NFC for example will only be a success when the infrastructure to use it is ready at launch.

Look at Google Wallet.

Glass isn't good enough?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
A bigger screen & new design which is basically a sure thing is really enough to take the spotlight. Besides the typical minor hardware and/or software upgrades, I'm pretty sure Apple has something else up it's sleeve.

As far as catching up is concerned. Apple is in a position to move at it's own pace. Most users are very happy with the iPhone. Most who move away towards something else eithier want to try something differ/new, or wants everything under the sun. IMO, Apple still has the superior OS, App store, and integration. As long as Apple's improvements continue to be solid, I really don't care that they aren't pushing everything out as quickly as the rest. As much as some praise Android and manufactures for banging out non-stop features and higher specs, then criticizing Apple for not doing the same, I think they secretly wish Apple would do the same for the iPhone do they can trash their Androids. Why else would there be so much Android posting in the iPhone section?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.