Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I'm having a bit of trouble with my home network. Before, I used to use a net gear router to connect both my iMac and my MacBook Air. Both had file sharing enabled, and I could easily connect to one from another and share files / share screen.
I upgraded to a BT Home Hub router. I'm not sure if everything stopped working at exactly this time, so I'm not sure if this is the real cause of the problems.
Now, everything still has file sharing enabled, but when I look at networked devices in Finder (including my NAS) and try and connect, it just gets stuck on Connecting - I can't even do "Connect As". See the attached screenshot.
I also tried connecting via afp to the NAS (a Synology box), and that just showed the bar with the diagonal lines that keep moving across it - meaning no progress!
I suspect this is the BT Home Hub, but am not sure. Does anybody else have one of these? Any problems? Or could it be something else? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 10.24.15.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 10.24.15.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 477

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Try clicking "Connect As" You should be prompted for your password for the device.

EDIT

Just saw you tried that....You could try re-setting the hub / router, then try connecting again....Assuming you have all sharing options enabled. Those hubs have caused issues before....A forum search may provide more information, but if I remember correctly the solution turned out to be a different router.

Last edited:

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
This is the loading screen I get when I try to connect using the "Connect to Server" option in finder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 10.30.53.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 10.30.53.png
    28 KB · Views: 147

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
I fixed the issue entirely by disabling the firewall on the router. Port forwarding helps for protection anyway, and all computers have pretty good firewall anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.