Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I would like to be able to take screenshots of the boot process and the boot menu that comes up when one holds down alt for my own nefarious purposes... yet for the life of me I cannot figure out a way to do this.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I would like to be able to take screenshots of the boot process and the boot menu that comes up when one holds down alt for my own nefarious purposes... yet for the life of me I cannot figure out a way to do this.

Any ideas?
I don't believe that's possible, since the screen shot is a Mac OS X function and Mac OS X isn't fully functional during the boot process.

Edit: Some Googling found this: How to screen capture a startup or a fresh install? - Mac-Forums.com

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I don't believe that's possible, since the screen shot is a Mac OS X function and Mac OS X isn't fully functional during the boot process.

Edit: Some Googling found this: How to screen capture a startup or a fresh install? - Mac-Forums.com

I am already half way there with VMWare Fusion, but Fusion does not show the boot selection menu like OSX does, unfortunately. I can capture the fresh install stuff and I can capture how to use the Recovery HD's reinstall, disk utility, restore from Time Machine etc, but I can't capture the damn boot menu and selecting the Recovery HD itself.

I've even bought a Blackmagic Intensity Thunderbolt to try and do this, but that's another story in itself. :mad:

I wonder if Parallels shows the stuff I am missing?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot. Of course, there's always the old-fashioned method of using a camera, if all else fails.

Yes, I may have to resort to this, but it's going to look like rubbish with my non-existent photography skills. :(

Update: Yipeee... I've figured out how to do this with the Blackmagic.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.