Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
Many months ago I set out to put a Mac Mini's guts into an iMac g3 case and have largely succeeded.

Below is the first image, see more here.
hKXbN.jpg

Really happy with how it turned out, thanks for the advice and encouragement guys!

Last edited:

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
may i ask, what are the new specs of the iMac with the mac mini's guts? what do you plan to do next to it?

EDIT: How fast does it run? and what is the max screen resolution that you can have with this iMac?

oh, and nice job with the mac. i would recomend getting a more modern keyboard - one that is up to date with lion and that. just so you get the full features. :D plus, the picture is a big big :)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I remember when you first set out on this long journey a few months ago and now I just need to know one thing

was it worth it to get your computer from your childhood back into your life?

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
Whoa, sorry about the giant picture! The mini is a 2007 2 ghz core 2 duo with 2 GB of ram. The dell display is a rather paltry 1024 x 768 but all I want this machine to do is play music and look pretty :)

The keyboard works perfectly with lion. I tried using the aluminum wireless keyboard that I ordinarily use with my MacBook Pro but it just didn't look right.

Lastly, Lil Chillbil, I felt like the process was half the fun. Though the project frustrated me to no end at some points... My dremel skills leave a little to be desired.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
That looks brilliant :) that an LCD isn't it? Does it match up well with the corners? I'm not a great deal away from finishing my own project but Christ I've hit some snags on the way lol.

Can you get a little video of this starting to desktop whilst having a little look round the case please :)

Very good job!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Whoa, sorry about the giant picture!

You can edit original post and replace with [img].

Your mod looks very clean, I was thinking to do that same to my Ruby but so far I can't decide to sacrifice perfectly working internals...

Good work sir! :)

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
That looks great! I've heard that they don't look as good with LCD's, but that looks pretty nice. I was hoping to get a Ruby myself to work with, though I might just paint my clamshell iBook the same color.

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
No the LCD doesn't match up particularly well but for my purposes it's okay. I originally was going to dremel the display bezel down to accomodate the LCD screen area but I'm not too neat with power tools and the plastic I did dremel on the inside was very brittle. I'm looking for another solution but for now this is just fine :) 666sheep thanks, I fixed my image post!

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
No the LCD doesn't match up particularly well but for my purposes it's okay. I originally was going to dremel the display bezel down to accomodate the LCD screen area but I'm not too neat with power tools and the plastic I did dremel on the inside was very brittle. I'm looking for another solution but for now this is just fine :) 666sheep thanks, I fixed my image post!

Even with the LCD it looks very good, well done and the graphite colour is my favorite.

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
Now do the same with a imac g4 with almost no space to work with
then i'll really be impressed
I would love to but I don't have the time... Plus g4s run for a little more than I want to pay. If I find one at a garage sale I'll pick it up for sure though.

schlief101

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Awesome job

I see imac g4's go for 100 dollars for a 15in here and 150-200 for a 17in. and nice job on the imac g3 im hopping to do that with mine but I sorta wanna keep it mint but I also wanna be able to use it as a computer again. :apple: ftw :)

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Really nice job! I have an iMac G3 Graphite sitting here... now I am tempted to make it usable again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.