Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
So I've decided to do the fairly popular iMac G3-LCD-Mac Mini mod, gutting the iMac and lining the Mini up with the optical drive slot on the case, and I've gathered the following components for the project:
  • :apple:iMac G3 slot-loading, graphite, missing hard drive (doesn't matter since the guts are getting recycled)
  • :apple:2007 Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz
  • Dell 1503fp 15" LCD
  • Apple Pro Keyboard (Black)
  • Apple Mighty Mouse (White with the scroll ball that gets nasty after a few months of use)

My question for those who are more experienced in this area is:
What is the best way to secure the Mac Mini to the iMac case? Epoxy? Screws? I've got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to mount the LCD to the case (which I'll reveal later because I haven't connected all the dots inside my head yet) but I have no idea how to secure the Mini so that I can use the iMac's awesome handle to tote it around without turning the components into applesauce [rimshot].

imac3.jpg

Last edited:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
It's very dangerous to delve into a CRT monitor, I've heard of a fair few people trying to overclock an eMac and getting electrocuted. Even if everything is powered off and un-plugged. If I were you I wouldn't risk it...

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
If I were you I wouldn't risk it...
I've got someone with experience in TV and CRT repair around to help me discharge, remove, and recycle the CRT. Not a big deal if you know what you're doing and don't touch the wrong part.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
It's very dangerous to delve into a CRT monitor, I've heard of a fair few people trying to overclock an eMac and getting electrocuted. Even if everything is powered off and un-plugged. If I were you I wouldn't risk it...

It is extremely hard to get shocked from a CRT. You have to touch everything in order to get shocked, witch I doubt the OP will do.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
It is extremely hard to get shocked from a CRT. You have to touch everything in order to get shocked, witch I doubt the OP will do.

Exactly especially if he knows somebody who is specialized with these type of repairs:

I've got someone with experience in TV and CRT repair around to help me discharge, remove, and recycle the CRT. Not a big deal if you know what you're doing and don't touch the wrong part.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I haven't done the mod myself, but I think you could lay out some small pieces of wood in a frame around the mini on the bottom of the iMac shell and epoxy them in place. That way you can still get the mini out, should you need to repair it.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I haven't done the mod myself, but I think you could lay out some small pieces of wood in a frame around the mini on the bottom of the iMac shell and epoxy them in place. That way you can still get the mini out, should you need to repair it.

thats what I would do. That way you could upgrade the internals also.

Good luck OP and keep us posted. One concern is what kind of connecton does the monitor you are useing have?

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
A wood frame... that is one possibility I had not considered. That way I could remove the mini if need be. The wood could in turn be held in place by thumbscrews or wingnuts or something like that.

thats what I would do. That way you could upgrade the internals also.

Good luck OP and keep us posted. One concern is what kind of connecton does the monitor you are useing have?
Thanks! I plan on posting step-by-step images to my flickr once the project gets going. The monitor is DVI, same as the Mini.

Last edited:

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
Making progress

The guts of the iMac have been removed. I kept the power socket, headphone board, i/o panel, power button/led assembly, divider panel, hard drive carrier, EMI cage, and the entire case including screws. The teardown was surprisingly easy; it took about two hours.

6320661109_8c69cc6c07_b.jpg

6320659055_d1f51f6143_b.jpg

6320662399_e5e6126513_b.jpg

I also cleaned the keyboard.

6321178910_e30a36f261_b.jpg

6321183572_1e07011c6d_b.jpg

6320660715_6be84e35d5_b.jpg

Unfortunately with school it's gonna be about two weeks before I can do any more on this project but then I have a whole week to dedicate to it, so look for more updates then.

There are a few more pictures on my flickr.

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Your casing is in excellent shape. It's gonna be awesome looking iMac. Keep us posted. Try to get matching keyboard, like below:

2254073399_c36b09c73a.jpg

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Your casing is in excellent shape. It's gonna be awesome looking iMac. Keep us posted. Try to get matching keyboard, like below:

All those later slot load iMac G3's came with the extended KB he shows in the photos. IMO it's one of the best ever.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
All those later slot load iMac G3's came with the extended KB he shows in the photos. IMO it's one of the best ever.

Yeah, I know, but I meant color matching :) This older, short one, has power button which I find very practical (it works in SL too). But to each his own, I think :)

macintoshbg

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
amazing mod dude! I have the post pinned in chrome so i can keep and eye on it , its a really cool mod, looking forward to see the work in progress (and eventually finished, of course :D) :apple: :)

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
Thanks guys, I'm really excited about this mod but school's gotta come first so wait just two weeks :)

I dislike the lack of volume controls on that keyboard and I learned to type on the Apple Pro keyboard so for me it's the best fit. But I do agree that a better color match would be cool. I despise the puck mouse, though, and I don't know if I'd like the look of the G3 graphite keyboard with the Mighty Mouse.

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
Cool project and I'm looking forward to the outcome!

Btw, will the front speakers on that iMac still be used at all?

Yes! The stock connectors will be removed and I will solder the cords onto a cable which I will plug into the mini's audio out jack. I'm putting a switch in the i/o panel on the iMac so I will be able to switch between headphones and speakers. The speaker in the mini won't be used at all.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
You put the keyboard in the dishwasher? :eek: All I've ever done was pop the keys off and clean by hand slowly. I kind of find it relaxing/therapeutic/whatever you want to call it

dwag3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Alabama
You put the keyboard in the dishwasher? :eek: All I've ever done was pop the keys off and clean by hand slowly. I kind of find it relaxing/therapeutic/whatever you want to call it

Yeah according to Google it's a quite popular method. You have to leave it to dry for at least a week, and I had 2 weeks where I wouldn't need it. Plastics cycle was used since that sounded least likely to melt anything, no heated dry. I put the key caps in the silverware caddy and twist tied the top shut so I wouldn't lose any, and put that in the top rack too (GE dishwashers are great... You can split up the silverware basket, run the top rack independently, dishes get dry without heated dry because it's blower-assisted and there is an automatic detergent dispenser you only have to fill once a month or so. A light comes on when it runs out)

I didn't wash the metal key retainers for the larger keys like space and return but just wiped them with a paper towel since I read a little grease is necessary on those to keep them functioning properly.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC

I've put both an IBM Model M and an Apple Extended Keyboard II through the dishwasher to great effect. If you've got a seriously cruddy keyboard, it's worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.