Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld.co.uk reports on the recently released Windows Vista (formerly known as Longhorn) Beta release.

The beta is being offered to 10,000 technical beta testers at this time, and provides an early preview of the upcoming Microsoft OS - due next year. Previously known as Longhorn, the newest revision of Microsoft's Windows Operating System has seen ongoing delays and the current target ship date is late 2006.

Macworld.co.uk details some of the under-the-hood changes found in the upcoming version of Windows as well as brief comparisons to Tiger.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Those poor Windows users, how will they ever get used to these changes... like:
Other fundamentals in Windows Vista will include faster and more secure startup, both during boot-up and when returning to active status from standby mode; improved user-mode (as opposed to kernel mode-based) driver design so that "a printer driver that crashes isn't going to crash the OS as well"
Familiar...? :D

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Whatever.

The Windows world has no interest to me anymore. I hope I don't ever have to buy another windows based PC due to software again.

Hopefully with the Intel switch any reason for using windows in terms of applications will be gone as, programmers will no longer need to design them for the PPC chip and the x86 chip.

Hopefully.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
I like this quote: " The OS will have a new restart manager "that we think will reduce reboots by 50 per cent," Wilson says."
Here are some screenshots:
http://www.windowsbeta.net/
doesnt look much different than the current OS, but I must say, I'm glad they got rid of the big green start button. The transparencies look nicer too.
You can see the tabs in ie in this picture behind the other window

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Macrumors said:

Macworld.co.uk reports on the recently released Windows Vista (formerly known as Longhorn) Beta release.

The beta is being offered to 10,000 technical beta testers at this time, ...

...And leaked to thousands of spyware, virus and trojan horse programers. Windows Vista will be the first OS to come preloaded with viri to keep Symantec and other anti-virus software makers in cash for years to come.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Well it seems that the new OS will be more secure, let's hope it is, because it bothers me so much when I see people using Windows based computers and they can barely do anything because of all the problems they have.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
somewhere_here0 said:
I'm certain it's better than Tiger, but what about Leopard? Will see

I'd be very interested to know what your certainty is based on. Practically everything described in the article is a feature we've been enjoying in Mac OS X from the early days.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Dunepilot said:
I'd be very interested to know what your certainty is based on. Practically everything described in the article is a feature we've been enjoying in Mac OS X from the early days.

Mac OS X has a lot of features that are half baked yes including spotlight! At the end of the day if an OS has improved, it has improved. One thing i would like to see is an improved UPnP.

I think once people get the prettier windows, most of the "casual" users will fail to see any reason to switch. Most of the people who buy macs (other than the hardcore mac guys) are people who just want a pretty system not because of any technical superiority (as if they understand and even better because they donot care)!!

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
nichos said:
I like this quote: " The OS will have a new restart manager "that we think will reduce reboots by 50 per cent," Wilson says."
Here are some screenshots:
http://www.windowsbeta.net/
doesnt look much different than the current OS, but I must say, I'm glad they got rid of the big green start button. The transparencies look nicer too.
You can see the tabs in ie in this picture behind the other window

Im still pondering how this is any differnet then the XP UI... seriously... its not an improvement.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Those poor Windows users, how will they ever get used to these changes... like: ...
Familiar...? :D
Much of the hype around Vista is how it makes it easier to deal with, troubleshoot, or otherwise fight your computer...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/basics/default.mspx

Compare that to the hype around Tiger, which is mostly about the great new things you can do... very little of which has to do fighting your computer.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/

M@netic

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
bummer

still doesn't look good to me. Unless they do something about the fonts, windows will always look ugly. The translucency look like they're just there for the sake of being there.

by the way... those blue buttons look awefully familiar...

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
M@netic said:
still doesn't look good to me. Unless they do something about the fonts, windows will always look ugly. The translucency look like they're just there for the sake of being there.

by the way... those blue buttons look awefully familiar...

Also, I'm still curious as to what two windows maximized at once looks like...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
budugu said:
Mac OS X has a lot of features that are half baked yes including spotlight! At the end of the day if an OS has improved, it has improved. One thing i would like to see is an improved UPnP.

You're definitely right, but how is any of what you're saying not true of Windows XP, or Server 2003, or unlikely to be true of Vista? UPnP as a standard aside, the state of plug-and-play functionality on Macs is much better than it is on Windows -- things like Bonjour allowing printers to be run without setup are pretty much still unheard of on PCs, aren't they? Unless you run Apple Bonjour for Windows, I guess. And PnP on Windows is still terrible.

But I absolutely agree, on an in-principle level, the technology exists today to make it so that a user never has to do a driver config again in their life. And computer makers have not been brave enough to implement that as reality. I'd like to see it happen.

I think Vista will be a very interesting OS, but just because Spotlight is half-baked doesn't mean desktop search on Vista won't be. It's early in the game for that technology.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I doubt it'll be too hard to track down a version of this install, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I wonder if Microsoft Paint is still the same ****** Windows 98 version...

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
How could Microsoft decide to use that mundane design for the logo?

It keeps with the tradition and all that... you know, evolving from the xp logo, but still. It's so boring, it's laughable. You'd think they would've come further after all these years.

BGil

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2005
Toe said:
Much of the hype around Vista is how it makes it easier to deal with, troubleshoot, or otherwise fight your computer...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/basics/default.mspx

Compare that to the hype around Tiger, which is mostly about the great new things you can do... very little of which has to do fighting your computer.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/

That's because Beta 1 is targeted towards developers and IT professionals. The focus is on the stuff under the hood and deployment.

There's a ton of cool under the hood things but ultimately the end-user features aren't coming until Beta 2.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
well....ive been a regular watcher of this website for a long time. due to my other interests i have never had the time to get involved in such a vibrant forum.....but i just gotta respond to this one...

w h o c a r e s ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.