Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, we highlighted a number of device restrictions regarding Apple's high-profile features for iOS 6, noting that many of them would not be compatible with the iPhone 3GS while smaller subsets would not be supported on the iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

ios_6_compatible_iphones.jpg

But with yesterday's release of iOS 6 Beta 3 for developers, Apple has improved feature support for the iPhone 3GS, adding shared Photo Streams and VIP mail filtering. The change was noticed by a number of iPhone 3GS users, and Apple has confirmed the removal of those restrictions on its iOS 6 preview page.

While the iOS 6 preview page previously contained eight footnotes outlining various restrictions on features, that number has been reduced to six following the release of iOS 6 Beta 3. The two removed footnotes include:
- Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.

- VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
The fact that iOS 6 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS at all marks a significant step for Apple, as the device was also the minimum requirement for iOS 5 released last year. But with Apple still selling the three year-old device, the company apparently felt that it needed to bring many of the new features of iOS 6 to the iPhone 3GS and is still working to add as many as it can within the constraints of the older hardware's capabilities.

Article Link: Apple Adds Shared Photo Streams and VIP Mail to iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 Beta 3

steyn139

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
iPod Touch

I can confirm shared photostreams works on the 4th generation iPod Touch. :)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Take note Android Handset Manufacturers.

Last edited:

Pivs

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
How well is it going to run on the 3gs? I've noticed the 5 isn't near as quick on my 3gs as on my girlfriend's 4.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Take note Android, well non-Nexus Android devices.

:confused: Last I checked manufacturers were free to use pretty much any Android version they wish. So that should really be 'Take Note Android Handset Manufacturers'.

Besides, Apple isn't exactly the best at supporting older devices. They discontinued the iPod Touch 2nd gen and then gave it its last supported update a day later. Completely horrible way to treat customers.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
whats the point of suporting the 3GS the tech is super old

How exactly is it 'super old' when its still being sold by apple as new?! Just because it has a less powerful processor it does not make it a 'super old' technology.

The 3G is actually faster than the iPhone 4 in many cases as it doesn't have to push as many pixels.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
This is good news! I just purchased an iPhone 3GS from ATT&T for $1!

Coming from a BlackBerry Bold 9780, this is a huge upgrade, even if it is a 3 year old device.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
whats the point of supporting the 3GS the tech is super old
Massive adoption, much of which is hand down to kids. The parents want their kids to have as good of support as practical.

By Apple not forsaking older hardware on phones like it does on its other product lines, it takes pressure off production limitations it still experiences and has a low price point partially crippled product which is Apple's forte.

I suspect if the iPhone 5 is both better and cheaper to make, which it very well may be, they might actually deprecate the iPhone 3GS. It will be interesting to see the final lifetime figure for this product which has had an exceptional product life cycle starting 19 June 2009.

I hope when they finally discontinue it they also release precise life cycle sales figures.

Rocketman

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
:confused: Last I checked manufacturers were free to use pretty much any Android version they wish. So that should really be 'Take Note Android Handset Manufacturers'.

Besides, Apple isn't exactly the best at supporting older devices. They discontinued the iPod Touch 2nd gen and then gave it its last supported update a day later. Completely horrible way to treat customers.

Thanks for the correction. That's what I originally meant, I just didn't say it correct.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
What about iPad 1st Gen????

The huge problem with the original iPad and why I was reluctant to buy it, is that it only has 256 MB of RAM. Yet it has a much larger display, making it even more crippled than the 3GS when it comes to memory. It was a mistake on Apple's part in my opinion, especially since the iPhone 4 has 512 MB.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
As an iPad 1Gen owner I can now finally put the last nail on the iPad coffin for me. That was the first and the last time Apple got 800€ from me for an iPad. There poor support on that premium product, while cheaper hardware gets the same support just because it still is a money maker for them is just ridiculous!

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
if they bother to port the iOS to a device they shouldnt take out features just for fun/to make newer devices more attractive - its probably more work to take out the features than to have the same stuff on all devices....

not talking about features that are not possible because of hardware restrictions of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.