Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
CPSC attempting to ban Buckyballs.

This is weird and all over the news. I'm sure there are worse problems but frankly, I don't get why this even has to happen. They're a toy targeted at adults and I can see why the owner of Buckyballs is upset.

Quote:
Meredith DelPrete, 10, was at school one day and did something that she said is popular among kids her age: She pretended to have a pierced tongue. The Fairfax County fifth-grader took two magnetic balls from her pocket and placed one on top of her tongue and the other on the underside. The magnets, the size of a BB, are extremely powerful. They made it look like she had a stud. She opened her mouth to show a friend.

That’s when the silver orbs rolled off.

Source & Full Article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...g9W_story.html
Additional Story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...y.html?hpid=z3

This just in, magnets pose a problem if swallowed.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
I ordered 2 sets of Buckyballs last night. I always wanted some and figured I better get them while I can.

Just absolutely stupid. Looking around my desk here at work, there's all sorts of stuff I can swallow. Shall they ban these thumbtacks I have? I bet those would hurt more than buckyballs if swallowed.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Antares
macrumors 68000
 
Antares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Ridiculous. I saw this, too, on the news. The packaging says it is for people age 13 and older. It is not a toy created for young children. If a parent gives something intended for adults/teenagers to a child, it’s their fault, not the product manufacturer. Let’s just go ahead and ban pretty much everything…because, you know, children may get ahold of something not intended for them and harm themselves.
__________________
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. - Steve Jobs
An Apple a day keeps the PC's away
Antares is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:30 AM   #4
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Absolutely ridiculous. It's sad that someone's invention/business that they built and put thousands of hours into can be shattered by a single person('s parents) who make a stupid mistake that's entirely their fault.

I almost choked on a ball bearing when I was about that age and it never crossed my or my parent's minds to much such a public spectacle of it. It was solely my fault because I put it in my mouth.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:18 PM   #5
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Since they don't sell those where I came from, I thought that they wanted to ban the use of fullerene!!
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. It's sad that someone's invention/business that they built and put thousands of hours into can be shattered by a single person('s parents) who make a stupid mistake that's entirely their fault.

I almost choked on a ball bearing when I was about that age and it never crossed my or my parent's minds to much such a public spectacle of it. It was solely my fault because I put it in my mouth.
Think of the poor guy who invented Lawn Darts!
doelcm82 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
senseless
macrumors 65816
 
senseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
While we're at it:

Quote:
"Zinc, a major component of post-1982 US cents, is toxic in large quantities. Swallowing such a coin, which is 97.5% zinc, can cause damage to the stomach lining because of the high solubility of the zinc ion in the acidic stomach.[31] Coins are the most commonly ingested foreign body in children but generally are allowed to pass spontaneously unless the patient is symptomatic.[32] Zinc toxicity, mostly in the form of the ingestion of US pennies minted after 1982, is commonly fatal in dogs where it causes a severe hemolytic anemia.[33] It is also highly toxic in pet parrots and can often be fatal.[34]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:55 AM   #8
RedTomato
macrumors 68040
 
RedTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: .. London ..
I don't get it. If you swallow two buckyballs (or other powerful mini magnets) at the same time, then they'll just attach to each other and pass through you.
Quote:
“I could feel them in the back of my throat. I tried to get them out, but I couldn’t. So I just swallowed them,” she said in an interview this week.

That accidental swallowing led to five days at Inova Fairfax Hospital, at least 10 X-rays, three CT scans and an endoscopy. Finally, on Jan. 20, a surgeon used a metal instrument to manipulate the magnets into her appendix, avoiding major surgery. He then removed her appendix, and the magnets, doctors said.
Why all the drama to get them out? The article says that they may trap intestinal wall between them, causing major internal bleeding. I understand this might happen if several magnets were swallowed, several minutes apart, but if they were already joined when swallowed, then they aren't going to magically separate, travel off in different directions, find a loop of intestine, then rejoin across the internal intestine wall.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:44 AM   #9
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Since they don't sell those where I came from, I thought that they wanted to ban the use of fullerene!!
Yeah, no kidding! Buckminsterfullerenes (C-60 being the most common form) are a rare allotrope of the Carbon molecule, are actually not good for life as we know it, and are under study for the development of nanotubes and carbon fiber materials research.

They call 'em Buck Balls for short.

Can you ban molecular structures? Look out Neodymium-Hexaflouride! You're next!
__________________
Knowledge is power. Learn something new every day!
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:27 PM   #10
brentmore
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Honolulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
I ordered 2 sets of Buckyballs last night. I always wanted some and figured I better get them while I can.

Just absolutely stupid. Looking around my desk here at work, there's all sorts of stuff I can swallow. Shall they ban these thumbtacks I have? I bet those would hurt more than buckyballs if swallowed.
Did the same thing this weekend with a 45% off coupon! Been wanting them for years.
brentmore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:28 PM   #11
RedTomato
macrumors 68040
 
RedTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: .. London ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Yeah, no kidding! Buckminsterfullerenes (C-60 being the most common form) are a rare allotrope of the Carbon molecule, are actually not good for life as we know it
Yes, romantic evenings are a major cause of buckyball poisoning. You breathe in a good dose of buckyballs from the candle fumes. So next time your significant other suggests a candlelit dinner or a candlelit bath, turn them in for attempted poisoning. And check they haven't updated your will behind your back.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:29 PM   #12
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Didn't they ban Kinder Surprise in the US for the same reason.

They should make a Kinder Surprise with Buckyballs inside.

Safer than the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab toy from the 50s'
http://daily-grind.net/most-dangerou...ic-energy-lab/
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
well after the crap Buckyball pulled and threatening Zen maginets I could care less what happens to them.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CPSC - Schneider Electric Recalls APC Surge Protectors Due to Fire Hazard DewGuy1999 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 1 Oct 3, 2013 04:01 PM
DoubleStar joins the gun ban ban MuddyPaws1 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 83 Feb 24, 2013 10:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC