Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1
shigatashway
macrumors member

Question Screen shifts to a blue tint when on discrete graphics

Since updating to ML, whenever the discrete graphics card kicks in, the color shifts to a blue/cool tint. I have gfxcardstatus installed with growl (so it shows a little alert whenever the graphics switches), and it happens every time the graphics switch to discrete, and only then. Curious if anyone else is seeing this happen on their laptop? Mine's a late-2011 15" - if it might be hardware specific.

To me it seems like for whatever reason the color-scheme is jumping around when the discrete is on. I tried playing around with the screen calibration, and whenever the discrete was on, the blue-shift option made absolutely no change.
shigatashway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
mjcxp
macrumors regular

Check this link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401741
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
apps4u
macrumors newbie

Im getting the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigatashway View Post
Since updating to ML, whenever the discrete graphics card kicks in, the color shifts to a blue/cool tint. I have gfxcardstatus installed with growl (so it shows a little alert whenever the graphics switches), and it happens every time the graphics switch to discrete, and only then. Curious if anyone else is seeing this happen on their laptop? Mine's a late-2011 15" - if it might be hardware specific.

To me it seems like for whatever reason the color-scheme is jumping around when the discrete is on. I tried playing around with the screen calibration, and whenever the discrete was on, the blue-shift option made absolutely no change.
Im getting the same issue I have a 3 month old mac book pro 17in and the same thing happens I did not know it was when the graphics card came on but now that you have said I realised that is whne it happens to me.
apps4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:50 AM   #4
baronvonfunboy
macrumors newbie

I just started having this happen after a clean install of ML on a new SSD. Here's (I think) how I fixed it. I was trying so many things, so I apologize if this doesn't exactly work for you. But it's definitely possible to get auto-graphics switching without the color-temp changing.

1. With no other programs open (after a fresh reboot is probably best), calibrate your monitor as you like it under System Prefs -> Display -> Color
2. Turn off auto-graphics switching under System Prefs -> Energy Saver
3. Reboot
4. Navigate to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays and delete any profile that isn't your newly calibrated display profile. (In my case, two "Display" profiles were showing up)
5. Reboot
6. Turn on auto-graphics switching under System Prefs - Energy Saver
7. Reboot

I think that should do it. I realized that it was impossible to separately calibrate the discrete graphics card because whenever it opened up the calibration application, the computer would switch back to the integrated graphics card.
baronvonfunboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion