Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Now that Mountain Lion has been released what new features do you expect/wish to see in the next version of OS X?

This post may seem premature given that 10.8 just arrived, but since Apple are moving to a yearly release cycle we can expect 10.9 to already be in development.

Please do not discuss cat names.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Why don't we enjoy 10.8 first and live in the present?

Theres no harm in looking ahead. Despite the performance improvements in 10.8 I've noticed that it has received criticism for being 'underwhelming' feature wise, so I'm curious about what people are wanting to see. Also, it will be interesting to see how accurate our predictions were a year from now

Now that Reminders, Notes, Messages and Game Centre have been added theres not many more iOS features they could add without fundamentally changing the way OS X operates. I wouldn't be surprised if they included Apple's new Maps App.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'd like to see:
-3D Maps app
-Siri
-Make the new tab navigation feature in Safari show ALL the tabs when you pinch in an expose view, rather than the swiping UI we have now.
-iCloud Documents overhaul. Get rid of the silly iOS interface. Allow for fully nested folders, and let me see all the documents that the app can open, rather than just what the app created.
-Signs of a new filesystem in the works.
-Pull-to-refresh in Safari and Mail.
-Weather widget in notifications
-Dictation that works as you speak
-cloning functionality in disk utility

Things I don't think apple would ever do, but would be great:
-Tabs in finder
-Color back in sidebars
-Set Library visible as default again
-iCal, Notes, Contacts looses the skeuomorphism
-Lose the sandboxing, or at least make many more entitlements so apps that had to leave the MAS can come back.
-Remove automatic termination
-all window expose as a separate view/key from mission control

I reckon either OS X 10.9 will be quite low on the new feature count; or we might see some OS X 11 action?

Every OS X release from here forward should be low on the feature count, since they're moving to yearly releases.

Reactions: BrodieApple

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I'd like Siri added with OS X uses that iOS doesn't have. Launch applications, set local reminders, have Siri tell you when you have updates waiting in the MAS, etc. :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
a uniform user interface (I'm looking at you Calender, Adressbook and Notes).

Although I requested this as well, it will never happen unless the iOS apps also change. The apps are uniform, but not in the way that we want: they look the same across iOS and OS X. Since iOS is by far the more widely-used OS, apple probably thought that this kind of consistency was more important, as it gives a sense of familiarity. However, I don't think the custom UIs work nearly as well as they do on iOS.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I concur with Siri within OSX, I cannot wait for that to happen!.

Also for me I would like to see a few things changed within OSX.

. Ability to write and manage data on a NTFS harddrive on a network

I have heard of a modification which can be done to permit this, but I cannot afford to loose the 2TB + of data I have stored on a NTFS drive on my home network.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

That would be nice, but I think there are licensing issues preventing this. AFAIK there is no NTFS support on any non-Windows OS that isn't a hack.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
That would be nice, but I think there are licensing issues preventing this. AFAIK there is no NTFS support on any non-Windows OS that isn't a hack.

Which is really sad, such a thing would be awesome for myself, at current I tend to use Windows 7 on bootcamp and copy things to and from within Windows.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
  • Ability to hold down the Option key to change Sleep in the Apple Menu to Safe-Sleep / Hibernate. There are an untold number of times/reasons why I might want to manually hibernate my computer.
  • Filesystem enhancements / computability (ZFS?)
  • Better full screen support for multiple monitors. (When an app goes full screen it should only be full screen on that monitor, leaving other monitor(s) available for regular use (or more full screen apps)) i.e. if I have two monitors I should be able to have two full screen apps running.
  • An arrow in Finder progress bars that you can click on to see more details.
  • Bring back more of the server controls to the server app
  • More API & background enhancements (Core Audio, video, animation, etc...)
  • Return Quicktime to it's full glory, I'm still using Quicktime 7 a many things
  • I would still like Expose / Mission Control to be more like Snow-Leopard
  • Siri
  • An optional address bar for Finder Windows (and save/open dialog boxes)
  • iBook reader
  • Return functionality to Airport utility
  • Allow older versions of Mac OS X to be virtualized (VM Ware, etc... for Snow Leopard)
  • Combine Notes & Reminders into one app
  • Have apps install into subfolders in the Applications folder (Games, Productivity, Tools, etc...) I've tried organizing mine and many apps "freak out" so having it done by default might be the best way.
  • Add more supported filetypes in Quick Look (Adobe inDesign, Illustrator, etc..)
  • Add weather, stocks to notification center (like it is in iOS)
  • When you click on the date/time on the menubar it would be nice to see a monthly calendar (like you can do with iStat)
  • Open Source Rosetta so others can make use of it.

I love Mountain Lion but those are a few things that come to mind.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Make Snow Leopard available in the App Store, slap a version number of 10.9 on it and call it good.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i would like apple to tweak mission control further, and make the 'peeking' feature on the clusters work the same way it originally did in their demo. i would like the ability to close/quit apps from mission control, and close tabs in safari's mission control view of tabs.

i would like apple to fix the use of multi screens with full screen apps.

i would like apple to make the menu bar look a little bit more slicker and modern - offer a frosted glass style, that matches the new dock. i would love a smoother, silky animation that fades the menu bar menus text when switching apps, rather than just flashing, looks a bit tacky.

i'm one of the people that is all for the iOS integration. i don't want my Mac dumbed down for consumers, not a fan of that. but features like LaunchPad, i really like. as far as im concerned, they dont affect the original use of the OS, they are just there. i love them. features like Siri, Maps, etc to come to mac os would be ideal.

but i would like to see continued cloud integration, more features like the new tab view to safari, but i think they should work on the FINDER its a bit dated, finder, im sure, they could find lots of ways to make it more intuitive and fluid to browse the system.

its not easy, but i would love apple to come up with more intuitive, yet simple ways to use the OS, like when they brought spaces, and expose to the mac. i would like something new.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
wow! really nice suggestions here.

Things I would change (or at least look on improving)

-improving finder - tabs, folders always staying on top of lists etc.

-allowing the 'notification center' to be used for more things. I for example have very little use for notifications on my computer (I only need those on my phone) but I could see that slide out shade as very useful for better windows management - say all windows for a space displayed by app with minimized windows listed at the bottom etc. All in list view which is sometimes more informative than images.

-since they are always trying to bring iOS to the Mac why not take advantage of the application switcher (been on the OS forever) and make it more functional (and more easy to discover). I could see it playing a similar role as the multitasking you see on an iphone with the ability to easily close out of apps or switch to another app using a gesture (you can do this now but it is very poorly advertised)

-make gestures more customizable. Ideally gestures should be like keyboard shortcuts. There are reasonable presets but if you really want to have four finger swipe used for some specialized function (like save etc.) then you should be able to. It is ridiculous that I can't reset the gestures back to the way they are in snow leopard without BetterTouchTools.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
It would be good to be able to tick off reminders in notification centre, and even make new ones. Same goes for calendar events. Just a little "+" sign on the little "Calendar" and "Reminders" bar!

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I dunno about Siri; personally I find the dictation feature in Mountain Lion to be a poor implementation, as all Macs should be capable of doing the processing locally, rather than having to ship it off somewhere. Particularly since Macs had pretty good local voice recognition for a very long time.
If they could make it some kind of local feature, and also let apps include plugins to extend it then it could be a truly killer feature. Siri as it is on iOS I could take or leave; it makes sense for the mobile platform but just isn't good enough for a full blown computer.

CoreStorage
Personally I want to see more from CoreStorage; support for pooled storage, along with integrity checking, error correction and redundancy handling. I could see a Time Machine 2.0 being brilliant if external drives were simply added to a pool with the internal ones, with block-level snapshots providing fast historic backup data, and the Time Machine interface managing it all… would be a dream come true.
Also some extras like CoreStorage compression (handled just like encryption), and the ability to designate faster drives as read-caches… it'd allow CoreStorage to be a properly serious contender as a volume manager. Plus it would allow Apple to then switch to a new HFS Lite, focusing on implementing a modern file-system with native hard-linking etc., without having to worry about anything that CoreStorage can do for them instead.

Usability/Window and App Management
Proper improvements to Mission Control and Fullscreen are a must; fluid support for multiple monitors (with gestures) and a smoother mission control experience so we can get the benefits of grouping while still being able to quickly drill down to the window we need.

The whole area of window switching needs more attention and more refinements to make things even more touch friendly, but also keep things friendly for us non-touch users; special gestures are all well and good, but many interfaces shouldn't need them in the first place.

LaunchPad could use some more innovative improvements. Personally I find the current grid very wasteful and not all that useful. What would be even better would be if it displayed icons at bigger sizes the more frequently used they are (think like a tag cloud). And even go one better by grouping icons so that apps that are frequently used together will be closer. All to make apps easier to get to, without the need to swipe around at all. Organised, swiping pages would still be needed, but with the tag-cloud style jumping off point your system would "learn" what you use the most and make it easier to get to.

Consistency
A return to uniform apps would be on my wish-list as well, though seemingly very unlikely. I absolutely hate the custom appearances for Notes, Reminders etc., as it completely kills the idea of a uniform, consistent interface. I absolutely blame iTunes for that, but while flashy appearances might be a nice novelty, I'd rather have usability and consistency become the focus once more.

Finder
Redesigned Finder! I still hate the Finder as much I did in OS X 10.0, but at this stage I suspect Apple would rather get rid of it for iCloud instead. Still, there are so many small improvements that could be made to make it so much more fluid. I'd also kill for a combined columns and icons navigation mode, where only the current folder is display as icons while higher levels get shunted to the left as a column. Give it a more touch-friendly sizing on the lists and it could scream as a touch interface.

Dashboard 2.0
I'd also love to see a big revamp to the Dashboard; widgets in the Mac App Store, a Resume like feature to allow them to free up resources when not in use, perhaps combined with notifications/events. Return to the interface being an overlay by default rather than the current, completely useless, default of it being its own Space/fullscreen app. Perhaps even make a focus on Dashboard widgets "docking" with the edges of a screen, to make the Dashboard overlay more content-focused, keeping widgets as the mini-programs that supplement your main apps, rather than distracting from them or simply being different.

When it comes down to it, widgets could be like notification centre on steroids, giving you a custom tailored view of your system, while also giving you quick access to useful tools. A concept of spaces within Dashboard, either giving you separate dashboards for each space, or the ability to swipe between a set of dashboards could be incredibly useful, allowing you to swipe from your social overview dashboard to your programming tools dashboard etc. It's a feature that I was glad to see when it arrived, but have been sad to see it so neglected ever since.

Last edited:

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

NTFS is not a network filesystem. Therefore, to use it over a network, no support for it is required on the client side.

The server side must support NTFS and then each must know to speak a network protocol to share the files. For instance, AFP, SMB or NFS.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
- Siri on the desktop
- Current version OpenGL support
- ability to force integrated video only on battery
- cool/quiet mode (in power management somewhere) to stop my fans sounding like a turbine when turbo kicks in on apps that i'd be happy to run more slowly.
- full screen mode to work on both monitors
- ZFS. yes i know the background story. i still want it.

ArchieNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
- Smooth Airplay operating when streaming movies to my AppleTV which are not in Itunes.

- Extend my desktop or 'only 1 app' share on Airplay in stead or mirroring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.