Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While court documents filed in relation to the high-profile U.S. legal battle between Apple and Samsung have yielded a treasure trove of images of prototypes and concepts for iPhone and iPad designs, the court case is just now getting underway. Reuters reports on some of the early developments today, including opening statements from Apple's lead lawyer outlining how the company will argue that Samsung's radical shift in phone design was driven by its desire to copy Apple's ideas for the iPhone.
Apple attorney Harold McElhinny started off by showing slides that featured old Samsung phones from 2006 and compared it to the Korean company's newer smartphones from 2010.

The key question, McElhinny said, would be how Samsung moved from the old phones to "these phones."

"As we all know it is easier to copy than to innovate," he told the court. "Apple had already taken the risks."
samsung_phones_before_after_iphone.jpg

Source: Apple pre-trial court filing
Key to McElhinny's presentation setting the stage for the trial was evidence in the form of internal Samsung documents showing that the company recognized the design challenges it faced and felt that the iPhone would be "easy to copy".
McElhinny showed jurors an internal Samsung product analysis which said the iPhone's hardware was "easy to copy." Another document prepared by a Samsung executive said the company was in a "crisis of design" due to the iPhone.
Samsung has yet to make its opening statement in the case, but its filings made so far have shown how it will attempt to undermine Apple's case by arguing that Apple had copied some of its design ideas from others and that it has refused to properly license key technologies controlled by Samsung.

Jurors in the trial face a complex task of weighing the merits of Apple's and Samsung's arguments on issues related to patents and trade dress infringement. IDG News Service highlights the instructions given to the jury by Judge Lucy Koh summarizing the basic allegations from each side and offering guidance on how to evaluate the evidence.

Article Link: Apple's Opening Court Statement Focuses on Samsung's Radical Shift in Phone Design

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Got to give the lawyers credit but counter point is Samsung was really only making WinMobile smart phones before hand and that OS just was not really designed for a good touch interface.

I also seem the same heavily edited screens for samsung but what ever. This entire trial will be a joke and the lawyers trying to confuse the jury.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
On the left is Windows Mobile, a stylus & keyboard based OS. On the right is Android, a touch-based OS. Hmm, wonder why they would look so different?

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
"As we all know it is easier to copy than to innovate," he told the court. "Apple had already taken the risks."

The core reason why competitors who refuse to innovate fail.

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
Pretty damning evidence especially the internal memo about the iPhone being easy to copy. It's only fools with their heads buried in the sands who deny that Samsung cribbed the Apple iPhone playbook.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

How well is that argument going to hold up when it's easy to show how Apple copied and stood on the backs of several companies to produce the iPhone and other devices.

p.s. you can copy AND innovate at the same time. Because unless Samsung actually produced an iPhone - it's not a 1:1 copy

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
I can see Apple's point that the post-iPhone Samsung phones are identical to the iPhone's design, but these lawsuits are getting ridiculous and making Apple look bad in a lot of people's eyes. I don't get why Apple is focusing on Samsung so much, pretty much every smartphone out there now is an iPhone ripoff.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
These companies suing everybody for everything is getting ridiculous.

? did you look at the photo?

At some point, you have to protect your intellectual knowledge and what you've CREATED, not copied.

This goes for any company.

I realize it does look silly, but let's say you started a company, created something fantastic and were ready to make millions. Then I came along, stole your design and ideas, then made millions.

I don't know you about you, but if the roles were reversed, I would want to go thermo-nuclear on you (or whomever that person/company was) :)

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
i never realised this, but there is a big diference int he design change after the iphone was released! damn

also interesting is that windows phones seemed to be an important OS pre-iphone, look at all the samsung phones from 2006 using windows mobile 5!
the world has indeed changed after the iphone introduction!

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
On the same lines as the other comments regarding the evidence showing only WinMo phones before 2007, did Samsung even make a "touch-only" phone before the iPhone (using some other OS)?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Those "after" iPhone Samsung phones are exactly like iPhones. Hard to distinguish...

Are the different buttons, giant Samsung logo, different casing and operating system enough?

Aside from both being rectangular and having a single button on the front....

spritelyjim

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
On the left is Windows Mobile, a stylus & keyboard based OS. On the right is Android, a touch-based OS. Hmm, wonder why they would look so different?

Because Android totally copied Apple too?

Seriously, one of the biggest reasons Apple is going after Samsung is because they are using Android, so Apple hates them for that AND for copying their hardware.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
It would really be interesting if someone on MR got called to be a juror at one of these lawsuits and kept us up to date with what's happening :D

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So when a touch screen phone takes the world by storm, such as the iphone did, of course everyone will implement touch screens.

Apple, how many ways do you expect a touch screen phone to look like? Apple is overreaching and it coms off to me that they think they should be the only ones able to use a pure touch phone:rolleyes:

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Most computers look the same. Most cars look the same. Many things look the same or similar. It just seems we as a society have just become so litigious and offended at everything. How about flattered? How about we try that one on. Flattery.

I'm an Apple fan but this is getting out of hand.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Of course the phone design is going to radically change. The OS that they are using is a radical change. None of the previous smartphone OS's that Samsung using were really anything like Android, which is 100% touch screen based. The thing with a touch screen design is that it is going to be basically ALL SCREEN on the front, much like Apple's iPhone.

Solfeggio4

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I can see Apple's point that the post-iPhone Samsung phones are identical to the iPhone's design, but these lawsuits are getting ridiculous and making Apple look bad in a lot of people's eyes. I don't get why Apple is focusing on Samsung so much, pretty much every smartphone out there now is an iPhone ripoff.

Agreed. I wish Apple would just keep looking ahead at the next thing instead of spending time on frivolous lawsuits from four years ago. People are always going to copy Apple - they are the biggest technology company in the world. What makes them great is that they are always a few steps ahead of everyone else.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Samsung are such blatant copycats. Go Apple!!! Just look at these for blatant copying:
Samsung-Vs-Apple-Cable.jpg

And as if that's not enough:
Apples:
31W2Pm-9TgL.jpg

rhpe9f.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.