Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
So incase you haven't heard, Microsoft have launched their new email service @Outlook.com (good-bye Hotmail), and I'm in there claiming my email addresses..

So now I've been thinking where addresses that have a dot in them to separate the name looks more professional.. for example:

First.Last@Outlook.com
FirstLast@Outlook.com

or how about

F.Last@Outlook.com

Your thoughts please?

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
You could get all versions of the email address if you wanted by clicking the gear icon at the top right then clicking on more email settings.

From here click create an Outlook alias. It appears to let you create as many as you want.

Your main email address will still be the account default/main but you can send and receive mail from each alias. If someone sends an email to an alias and you hit reply it automatically sends it from that email address.

Hopefully this is of some help :)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I would agree but unfortunately I couldn't get that for my name :(

firstlast@outlook.com is what I got though so I'm happy with that. Normally I never get my name without having some kind of number or extra.

Thats probably the second best option, so don't get too down about it :)
Its times like this I'm glad I have a fairly unconventional name. I have yet to find a service where my first and last name are taken in any configuration.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
London
Still no support for desktop e-mail clients. What a fail.

I think the whole mail service and Microsoft is a fail TBH! Just signed up for outlook.com to see what i was like. outlook.com all nice and pretty in the Windows 8 format. But go to your calender and you are taken back to the old and very outdated Hotmail and its calender.

Once again Microsoft put something out which isnt finished, EPIC FAIL i feel.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I tried a couple variations on my name, and initials and they're already taken. I usually try to jump on something quickly since my name Michael Flynn, is quite common. I was not as quick as I should have been.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
@msn.com ... @hotmail.com ... @live.com ... @bing.com ... @outlook.com .... ???

I went LastFirst@outlook since FirstLast and First.Last were taken already. same as my @me account though.

Don't think i'll use it, but i guess it's good to have.

anyways, was i the only one who had to do the captcha 7 times?
sad.gif

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Yeah, the captcha sucked.

I used f.last since flast firstlast first.last were all taken. :/. Really weird since I don't have that common of a name..

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I went with first.last@outlook.com and filast@outlook.com (first initial).

Saw the Engadget story at work and thought it looked sleek so snatched them up! I find it funny to be geeking out about a new email client. I think I'd rather switch over accounts/info rather than import/forward all my gmail nonsense over.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I think the whole mail service and Microsoft is a fail TBH! Just signed up for outlook.com to see what i was like. outlook.com all nice and pretty in the Windows 8 format. But go to your calender and you are taken back to the old and very outdated Hotmail and its calender.

Once again Microsoft put something out which isnt finished, EPIC FAIL i feel.
If I never hear the term "Epic Fail" again, I will be happy.

----------

I took first.last@outlook.com

It only took me 2 times to get the captcha correct.:eek:
Same here. I had to refresh the captcha 8+ times to finally get one I could decipher. :eek:

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the heads-up. I snagged f.last@outlook.com, and I'm trying to add the rest as aliases - am I the only one having trouble with that? Keep getting an error message. :/

I don't think I'll use them (quite happy with .me), but it's not a bad idea to snatch my name just in case it comes in handy later.

GMail ignores dots, so f.last and flast would be the same thing. I wish other clients did the same, although I suppose it means less email addresses available...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.