Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those aren’t going to be pleasing to the user.”
A refrigeroaster? Or iRefrigeroaster? Either way, the idea of a touch screen on an iMac or even a notebook is an ergonomic nightmare.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Anyone who thinks a touchscreen iMac is a good idea should sit in front of their iMac and point at the screen for 5 minutes. Now - put your arms back on your desk and think about why this idea may not work so well in practicality.

I like my touchscreen iPad. I like my iMac. I don't think I would like them as much if your frankensteined them together.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
How can a toaster with a fridge be bad? All you have to do is stick some bread in there, and while your waiting you can get butter or jam or whatever you put on bread out of the refrigerator and by the time you get it *ding* your toast is done! You can accomplish all that without walking back and forth! Perfect!

Oh yeah the iMac thing, um... no.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I like the idea of touch screen for some actions or programs but without a different stand to allow the user to lay the iMac almost flat with the desk I agree it would be tiresome quickly.

Now I'm more interested in the gesture control we see in the xBox and some smart TVs. Again it would compliment the mouse/touch pad as a way to control the computer.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A refrigeroaster? Or iRefrigeroaster? Either way, the idea of a touch screen on an iMac or even a notebook is an ergonomic nightmare.

:D Patents pending on that one? I can't imagine what a Retina / Touchscreen version of a 27" imac would cost. I wouldn't buy one that's for sure...The way the imac is designed for desktop use just won't work as a touchscreen.

IPlayFair

macrumors member
May 12, 2012
Waiting for New IMAC

I am the owner of a Gateway ZX6900 23" Touch Screen computer, purchased in 2010. The computer has served me well. I experimented with the touch screen the first day that I had it. I have not touched the touch screen since. The touch screen and the on screen typing element of a 23" let alone a 27" are not practical. :)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
How can a toaster with a fridge be bad? All you have to do is stick some bread in there, and while your waiting you can get butter or jam or whatever you put on bread out of the refrigerator and by the time you get it *ding* your toast is done! You can accomplish all that without walking back and forth! Perfect!

Oh yeah the iMac thing, um... no.

Ermm..

You're seriously not thinking through the convergence issues. Let me get you started. At least one of the following will be true:
1) The heating element of the toaster will interfere with the cooling function of the fridge.
2) The cooling function of the fridge will interfere with the heating element of the toaster.
3) The insulation between the toaster portion and the fridge portion will be so think as to greatly diminish fridge capacity.
4) A new kind of insulation invented for this task will be so expensive as to quadruple the cost of a premium fridge plus a premium toaster.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Whether or not it's a good idea, it's obvious that Apple is not going this route.

In Windows 8 you see the traditional UI controls being enlarged and stretched to make it possible to use them on a touch screen. Meanwhile as new OSX versions are released the standard window controls, toolbar buttons, and menus remain as mouse-friendly and touch-unfriendly as ever.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
My father in law has one of these attachable keyboards for his iPad that allow it to sit like a laptop. It looks awful when he is trying to touch the screen. Just hold the damn thing and use the touch screen keyboard as it was intended!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
What I don't get is how other companies (like HP) make these touch screen all-in-ones, then make them so light/flimsy that they move when you push on the screen. It's gotta be solid if you're going to be pushing on it all day (ergonomic nightmare or not).

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
If it wouldn't cost much, I don't mind a touchscreen iMac. It could be fun/useful for some tasks/programs/games. Just don't make it replace keyboard and mouse.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Ermm..

You're seriously not thinking through the convergence issues. Let me get you started. At least one of the following will be true:
1) The heating element of the toaster will interfere with the cooling function of the fridge.
2) The cooling function of the fridge will interfere with the heating element of the toaster.
3) The insulation between the toaster portion and the fridge portion will be so think as to greatly diminish fridge capacity.
4) A new kind of insulation invented for this task will be so expensive as to quadruple the cost of a premium fridge plus a premium toaster.

Working in thermal engineering I'd say this would be pretty damn easy to insulate. The issues more so lies with the... where the f$*k does the bread go!? Does it drop down like an ice maker, but on the right side? Pop up on the right... shoot out the front like two flour powered home-seeking missiles? haha

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
I dislike physical touch interaction with the iPad because of the fingerprints that it leaves, so I use a stylus, but that would be cumbersome to use on a desktop. That's why I pre-ordered LEAP; I think the keyboard/mouse input paradigm augmented by gesture recognition is a winner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.