Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Apple's Maps will have far superior routing directions. Google Maps will take you 70 miles longer (1 hour) to drive from Minneapolis to St. Louis or St. Louis to Chicago than the route used by TomTom or Alpine GPS systems. Their routing is very basic and far from the fastest way most of the time.

With Apple Maps being the default mapping app on iOS devices, it will become the more popular option for most.

Maybe now Google will update the Maps app more often. Last time they bothered doing anything with the old Maps app was years ago when they added traffic and walking directions. They shouldn't have neglected an app that makes them millions of dollars from iOS users.

meskida

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Apple maps all the way, if Apple hadn't made this move, I doubt we would've ever gotten turn-by-turn directions, which I used last Saturday for the first time and worked flawlessly!

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Apple's Maps will have far superior routing directions. Google Maps will take you 70 miles longer (1 hour) to drive from Minneapolis to St. Louis or St. Louis to Chicago than the route used by TomTom or Alpine GPS systems. Their routing is very basic and far from the fastest way most of the time.

With Apple Maps being the default mapping app on iOS devices, it will become the more popular option for most.

Maybe now Google will update the Maps app more often. Last time they bothered doing anything with the old Maps app was years ago when they added traffic and walking directions. They shouldn't have neglected an app that makes them millions of dollars from iOS users.

What route does Apple take you from Minneapolis to St. Louis and St. Louis to Chicago?

For Minneapolis to St. Louis it says go down I-35 to highway 18 then down I-380, US-218, and US-61 into the St. Louis area. There's a route that's a hour faster than that?

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
I support both. Nothing breeds innovation and features like competition.

The most sensible answer on here. Apple should open up the default app settings on the iPhone then we'd see fantastic apps happen as devs would be able to be set as the default apps for the things people want.

Dkrogh

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
I will probably use both, apple for turn by turn and google for the rest, but we shall see how they compare once ios6 is officially released

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
the last time i knew in our modern era, is that competition is required to prevent monopolization.

being inventive is innate, u dont need competition to be inventive.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
For now, Google looks like it is WAY better infomation wise. While Apple's maps are beautiful, once you look at countries that aren't the US, UK, or Australia, most roads aren't even labeled.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012

The Google maps app was made by apple and it's apple's fault for it being our if date and light on the features.

Google is expected to make their own though now that apple is officially not supporting their own any more.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Silly question here, but I gotta ask. What is apple map?? :confused: You mean the MAPS app that's pre-installed in your iPhone/iPad? I've always thought that's google map. I rarely ever use the maps since it doesn't really work where I live.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

See my reply to Purant below. It's not Google who was updating the app, it was Apple, and they didn't want to pay whatever Google was asking for it.
The Google maps app was made by apple and it's apple's fault for it being our if date and light on the features.

Google is expected to make their own though now that apple is officially not supporting their own any more.
If I remember correctly, Apple wanted the new features of Google Maps but refused to pay what Google was asking for it.

Silly question here, but I gotta ask. What is apple map?? :confused: You mean the MAPS app that's pre-installed in your iPhone/iPad? I've always thought that's google map. I rarely ever use the maps since it doesn't really work where I live.
The Maps app in iOS 6 is no longer Google Maps, it's Apple Maps.

Pfilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012

It was made by Google in prior versions of iOS (5.1.1 or lower) but with the soon-to-be-released iOS 6; Apple will drop Google Maps in favor of its own app designed in-house.

The new Maps is a significant jump compared to the outdated Google Maps for iOS and I don't believe that just one company is to blame for the poor implementation of the former Google Maps in iOS.

Google, as we all know, has been focused on its own mobile operating system and if I can recall correctly, I remember first "Droid" branded phone touting its free turn-by-turn voice version of Google Maps; the first of it's kind.

I'm sure that the love loss between Cupertino and Mountain View had been in full bloom due to the Android OS slowly invading Apple's smartphone share for a year or more prior to the first "Droid." Not to mention infringing with its similar GUI. But I digress.

If you take the perspective of two competing companies you ask: Why would Google want to give their gem of a feature by updating Google Maps to the competition? And why would Apple want to let Google use iOS to market themselves with such a robust version of Google Maps?

The reason why neither company did anything for Google Maps on iOS was because of the tremendous value satellite navigation gives to consumers and how deep these competitors are willing to dig into each other. Apple made a smart decision acquire, design, and build its own app because Google wasn't going to give them 3D views or turn-by-turn voice direction anytime soon. Besides, the demographic for features like that is just about everyone.

I think Apple Maps is a great start to Sat-Nav category for Apple and a huge improvement from the now banished (or temporarily removed) Google Maps in iOS. It does, however, have a long way to go to compete with Google Maps on Android. I'm not sure that it can given Google's strength in search and database. If you really want to find something, including a specific location, you don't do a search at apple.com and I, for one, can't think of any other map services I use outside of Gmaps..

Although they lack in sheer muscle; I think Apple can compete in Maps given its track record of passion for ingenuity and incredible design aesthetics (software and hardware). I truly miss Google Maps on Android but if there's one thing that can make you forget an old girlfriend; it's a really hot new one.

Last edited:

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
If you take the perspective of two competing companies you ask: Why would Google want to give their gem of a feature by updating Google Maps to the competition? And why would Apple want to let Google use iOS to market themselves with such a robust version of Google Maps?

I believe it's Apple's fault here. They developed the app, they could have added more features but they didn't.

With that said, I think it's good that Apple has their own maps now, even if they are very incomplete at this point (especially where I live).

It will also probably force Google to make a Google maps App for the iPhone and I expect it to be much better than what we had.

So now instead of having one mediocre maps app, we will have 2 much better one.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I'll be moving Apple Maps into an unused folder and I'll be using Google's soon to be released Maps app at all time. Google Maps is FARRRRRR superior to Apple Maps in iOS 6 beta and anyone who argues otherwise is clearly being an Apple fanboy.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
I'm from Canada and it works great for me! I was heading to a friends house and his Galaxy S3 couldn't find his house and my iphone worked flawlessly

Over the weekend I was in San Francisco and used my iphone for navigation for 2-3 hours a day. Works great!

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I'll just keep using Waze. Works great for me. I'll give AM a try, for the heck of it, but so far I'm really happy with the results I get from Waze.

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It was made by Google in prior versions of iOS (5.1.1 or lower) but with the soon-to-be-released iOS 6; Apple will drop Google Maps in favor of its own app designed in-house.

Google never developed the Maps app (notice the name has always been Maps, not Google Maps). Apple developed the app and it utilized Google's map data (which Apple paid Google for). Why Apple never made any significant updates to the app is anyone's guess but was surely a business issue between Apple and Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.