Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I'll be moving Apple Maps into an unused folder and I'll be using Google's soon to be released Maps app at all time. Google Maps is FARRRRRR superior to Apple Maps in iOS 6 beta and anyone who argues otherwise is clearly being an Apple fanboy.

I'm inclined to agree with you. And I am an Apple fanboy :)

Apple Maps has tons of potential, and I'm confident it will be great - eventually. But it's just not there yet. I think it is being rushed out by corporate commercial concerns rather than what's best for users. Maybe it should have been an iOS 7 feature.

There's going to be some negative press and disappointed users over iOS 6 because of the Maps changes. That said, the new turn-by-turn routing is a great new feature that a lot of people will love. It's just unfortunate that everything else has gone backwards!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I can't believe anyone would side with Apple Maps... LOL.

Seriously, why? Google Maps is by far one of the best and most reliable map systems out there and someone is willing to avoid Google Maps out of spite and take a risk getting from point A to point B all in the name of a logo?

How crazy do people have to be to show their devotion to a brand? I don't use Google Maps because I like Google, I use it because it *always* gets me to where I'm planning on going!

:confused::confused::confused:

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
2 pages in and i cant believe nobody's mentioned Street View, which is the killer decision point for me.

3D maps are great to look at for 5 mins...minus the turn by turn, when it comes to functionality and real world use, Google Maps is miles ahead..and its years ahead development is obvious.

Perhaps when Apple has been doing this for 3-4 years we might get something worth exchanging for....but that might take a lawsuit from Google for Apple copying Street View lol.

And besides any of that...right now, Apple Maps in iOS6 is utterly crap.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
For now, Google looks like it is WAY better infomation wise. While Apple's maps are beautiful, once you look at countries that aren't the US, UK, or Australia, most roads aren't even labeled.

That is simply not true!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'll be moving Apple Maps into an unused folder and I'll be using Google's soon to be released Maps app at all time. Google Maps is FARRRRRR superior to Apple Maps in iOS 6 beta and anyone who argues otherwise is clearly being an Apple fanboy.

Not sure yet.

There was such and improvement from beta 3 to beta 4 that if that trend continues to the GM, then apple maps will be on par with google and I wouldn't have any reason for the Google maps app.

----------

2 pages in and i cant believe nobody's mentioned Street View, which is the killer decision point for me.

3D maps are great to look at for 5 mins...minus the turn by turn, when it comes to functionality and real world use, Google Maps is miles ahead..and its years ahead development is obvious.

Perhaps when Apple has been doing this for 3-4 years we might get something worth exchanging for....but that might take a lawsuit from Google for Apple copying Street View lol.

And besides any of that...right now, Apple Maps in iOS6 is utterly crap.

Again..not utterly crap. (beta 3 maybe)

But beta 4 was much better and acurate, infromation rich, seamingly real time traffic updates, even some Businesses are being added.
Will wait until golden master to see the final product.

While street view is nice, 3d gets you down to street level also, and we yet to see googles 3d views yet.

----------

I'm inclined to agree with you. And I am an Apple fanboy :)

Apple Maps has tons of potential, and I'm confident it will be great - eventually. But it's just not there yet. I think it is being rushed out by corporate commercial concerns rather than what's best for users. Maybe it should have been an iOS 7 feature.

There's going to be some negative press and disappointed users over iOS 6 because of the Maps changes. That said, the new turn-by-turn routing is a great new feature that a lot of people will love. It's just unfortunate that everything else has gone backwards!

Apple probably has been working on their maps for awhile since they knew they were going to drop google eventually.

Last edited:

Pfilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Google never developed the Maps app (notice the name has always been Maps, not Google Maps). Apple developed the app and it utilized Google's map data (which Apple paid Google for). Why Apple never made any significant updates to the app is anyone's guess but was surely a business issue between Apple and Google.

I believe you guys are partially right. Google was a partner and I'm sure they had some say in how Apple used them as the back end of Maps.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I can't believe anyone would side with Apple Maps... LOL.

Seriously, why? Google Maps is by far one of the best and most reliable map systems out there and someone is willing to avoid Google Maps out of spite and take a risk getting from point A to point B all in the name of a logo?

How crazy do people have to be to show their devotion to a brand? I don't use Google Maps because I like Google, I use it because it *always* gets me to where I'm planning on going!

:confused::confused::confused:

I'll be using Apple Maps. Can't wait in fact. I'm excited for Siri assisted turn by turn GPS, the 3D imagery, and built-in Yelp. I'm also interested in where Apple goes with Eyes Free.

Instead of showing such hatred to a brand, why not wait until the product is released before making unfair judgements?

:apple::apple::apple:

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'll be using Apple Maps. Can't wait in fact. I'm excited for Siri assisted turn by turn GPS, the 3D imagery, and built-in Yelp. I'm also interested in where Apple goes with Eyes Free.

Instead of showing such hatred to a brand, why not wait until the product is released before making unfair judgements?

Because Apple Maps in its current form is not in the same league as Google maps, period!

I don't understand how people can debate this?:confused:

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012

Because the actual maps are very incomplete at this point, especially outside of the US. Maybe it will get to google maps levels, but it will take time.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Because Apple Maps in its current form is not in the same league as Google maps, period!

Obviously the product will grow over time. And I've already pointed out some things I'm excited for.

----------

Because the actual maps are very incomplete at this point, especially outside of the US. Maybe it will get to google maps levels, but it will take time.

Sure, of course. It's a work in progress. It's a good thing I live in the US, around the popular bay area of San Francisco, and I don't travel too often. For my particular uses, the maps should serve me well enough.

I can't speak for others who live outside the US though. Those people should stick with Google maps because it works. I'm just saying my opinion based on my circumstances.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Sure, of course. It's a work in progress. It's a good thing I live in the US, around the popular bay area of San Francisco, and I don't travel too often. For my particular uses, the maps should serve me well enough.

I can't speak for others who live outside the US though. Those people should stick with Google maps because it works. I'm just saying my opinion based on my circumstances.

Fair enough, that's a good reply. But please understand that people that live in places where they don't get good enough maps, are not really excited by Apple maps (yet?), hence all the "hate", since it replaces something that previously worked for them, with something that doesn't (for now at least).

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
But beta 5 was much better and acurate, infromation rich, seamingly real time traffic updates, even some Businesses are being added.

Wait, Beta 5? I have been out of the loop for the past couple of days, did something happen that I completely missed? Or do you mean Beta 4? Even in b4, I think Apple Maps is lacking when compared to Google Maps, especially when considering StreetView and public transit directions.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Wait, Beta 5? I have been out of the loop for the past couple of days, did something happen that I completely missed? Or do you mean Beta 4? Even in b4, I think Apple Maps is lacking when compared to Google Maps, especially when considering StreetView and public transit directions.

I meant beta 4....sorry, but my point still stands, it was much better than beta 3.

I am saying that it is improving, and the GM will be better. Lets see the final version, we didn't beta test googles pre-released versions.

Let just wait and see the final product.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Can someone give me a serious reason why 3d would at all be useful for navigating? Or is it another cool feature to show your fiends at a cocktail party and that's it.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Instead of showing such distaste for a known well working app, why not wait until the other one you love so much is actually past the beta stage?

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Sure in current form Google maps may be superior to Apple maps outside the US apparently, but internationally iOS Google maps is highly inferior to Android Google maps. In the end, Apple maps will be fully mature and far superior to anything Google would ever do for iOS and the competition will be iOS maps vs Android maps. Both will just continue to get better and better.

I love Apple map because it actually gives me proper nearby stores so I find myself using the map application more in iOS 6 beta than I ever have before in my entire iPhones history combined, since it's first launch.

If I was on Android then yeah Google maps all the way, but there's no way in hell that Google will make a better map app for iOS than they will for Android.

Clearly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Again..not utterly crap. (beta 4 maybe)

But beta 5 was much better and acurate, infromation rich, seamingly real time traffic updates, even some Businesses are being added.
Will wait until golden master to see the final product.

Huh? Beta 5 is not yet released. Are you an Apple employee? Either way I'm really looking forward to these Maps improvements that are supposedly in it!

Apple probably has been working on their maps for awhile since they knew they were going to drop google eventually.

I'm sure they have. But they really should have worked on it a bit longer before releasing it. It is not yet at the level of quality/polish that users expect from Apple products.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Huh? Beta 5 is not yet released. Are you an Apple employee? Either way I'm really looking forward to these Maps improvements that are supposedly in it!

I'm sure they have. But they really should have worked on it a bit longer before releasing it. It is not yet at the level of quality/polish that users expect from Apple products.

So are you an Apple employee? You seem to know of a final version of iOS where Apple has released the maps app :rolleyes:

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Once, I got lost hiking in the remote mountains in Japan. My mifi didn't work and my phone was out of battery. Only thing I had was my iPad. I used the Maps app at the foot of the mountain where I still recieved a weak signal to pinpoint my current position and just go through my route again.

What I didn't realise was that, even without the wifi working, the Maps app kept track of my position and route the whole time. I opened it up and it showed me the route I had walked the entire way.

No wifi, no 3G signal, no phone signal.

I'll stick with GoogleMaps.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Once, I got lost hiking in the remote mountains in Japan. My mifi didn't work and my phone was out of battery. Only thing I had was my iPad. I used the Maps app at the foot of the mountain where I still recieved a weak signal to pinpoint my current position and just go through my route again.

What I didn't realise was that, even without the wifi working, the Maps app kept track of my position and route the whole time. I opened it up and it showed me the route I had walked the entire way.

No wifi, no 3G signal, no phone signal.

I'll stick with GoogleMaps.

I'm not sure about Google Maps but Apple Maps caches maps you've visited before. I just spent two weeks in France and after viewing the maps on wifi, I was able to navigate around with no wifi or 3G.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

you mean the beta versions aren't polished yet? Of course not, just like the beta versions of Google maps was not polished before it was released.

I will make judgement with GM, but I am encourged by the improvements between beta 3 and 4.

illmatic636

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
I'm not sure about Google Maps but Apple Maps caches maps you've visited before. I just spent two weeks in France and after viewing the maps on wifi, I was able to navigate around with no wifi or 3G.

Finally!!!! Useful information on the comparison of both Maps app.

Thank you. The cache of maps already used is a big help in deciding which is more useful for what I need. I believe that Gmaps will put out an awesome Turn by Turn app eventually. But when IOS 6 comes out, Waze and Apple Maps will be what I use.

----------

you knew what he meant, why be a douche.

----------

So are you an Apple employee? You seem to know of a final version of iOS where Apple has released the maps app :rolleyes:

Again, you knew what he mean't. Comments like these do not make you look smart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.