Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
It came to me today. If there really is going to be a video iPod then there'll probably be a new iTunes, but mathematically 4.10 = 4.1 . So, I was thinking the new iTunes will have to work with the video iPod and will therefore probably have the capability of playing video files. But the thing is, that would basically turn it into Quicktime :confused: . So what I'm thinking is that maybe the iTunes and Quicktime lines will be merged into maybe iMedia or something similair.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I was griping about this some time back (not on this forum). iTunes needs to be able to play back movies (already does, to some extent) and conceivably serve as a library for images (no, I don't use iPhoto to store my forum avatars).

But then it isn't really iTunes anymore. Hmmph. Apple was not really on the ball with this one. Every idea seems to sound lame to me... iMovie? Taken. iTunes? Inapplicable. iMedia? I don't like it.

Perhaps this might become part of the iHome thing, if Apple moves into the media center market hardcore. Which I'd like.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
iDM said:
All I know is for how minor all of the updates to iTunes have been 5.0 better have a feature that includes something pretty sweet, like brain scanning that changes the playlist based on my mood or something.

that's actually pretty close to the real thing already.. i swear.. my ipod will play a fast song, then two slow, a fast song then two slow.. its crazy

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Jacksteruk309 said:
If there really is going to be a video iPod then there'll probably be a new iTunes, but mathematically 4.10 = 4.1.
We been over this more than once. Version numbering is NOT "mathematically". Why, e.g. is the newest Mozilla numbered 1.7.11? :rolleyes:

Version numbering is major.minor.patch, and Microsoft even has a 4th level for build number, which Apple, luckily has not included. So, if there's another MINOR release of iTunes, this will be numbered with the next number after 9, which is...? anybody...? Riiiight... it's 10...

Edit: Just for the record, it's the third number of the MS version number that is build number while the forth is a weird and complex number which includes service pack and other stuff, in a way I never really cared to dwell on... ;)

And, there also has been lots of iTunes 5 threads. Search a little, please...

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Edit: Just for the record, it's the third number of the MS version number that is build number while the forth is a weird and complex number which includes service pack and other stuff, in a way I never really cared to dwell on... ;)

Off topic, but I've considered Microsoft's version numbering scheme to be a subtle way of demonstrating that they don't give a sh*t about their users being able to understand their products (such as "uh, I'm using version 6 point 0 point something pi-R-squared so eight of the 37 latest patches may or may not apply to me").

Back to iTunes... it already plays music videos, right? So it's not inconceivable that they'll beef up video support and continue to call it iTunes. If they get really serious about video (buying/renting, TV playback, whatever), though, I'd expect it to be handled by a new iApp.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Guess you've never used VueScan. Version 8.2.29 is out now I think.

If P then Q (but not R!) arguments are wonderful. Do the 'all elephants are pink' one again.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Jacksteruk309 said:
So, I was thinking the new iTunes will have to work with the video iPod and will therefore probably have the capability of playing video files.
iTunes already have the capability of playing videos. Try one of the music videos from iTMS...

Man, I didn't even notice this in all the "there cannot be any 4.10"-cr@p... :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
We been over this more than once. Version numbering is NOT "mathematically". Why, e.g. is the newest Mozilla numbered 1.7.11? :rolleyes:

Of all the conspiracy theories that abound on MR, my absolute favorite is the idea that, because the latest version number supposedly necessitates a jump to the next dot or base digit, that Apple will be forced to add major new features to their product in order to save face. :rolleyes:

It's really so insane on so many levels that it doesn't seem worth fighting it anymore. :D

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
OK then, maybe there will be iTunes 4.10, but eventually there will be iTunes 5.0, and sorry I didnt know it already had video playback :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.