Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Ok so when the new iPhone is released I'm breaking my contract from AT&T and switching to Verizon. I know when I port my number, it will instantly cancel the AT&T contract. To anyone who has canceled a contract before, how long did you have to pay it? Lets say if the rumors of Sept. 12th preorder date, Sept. 21 release is true, if I preordered it immediately, whats my window to pay off AT&T? Thanks.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Call AT&T and pose this theoretical scenario.They'll tell you with more certainty.

Best advice you can get. I have no idea why people ask questions which have so many variables (their account status, plan type etc.) which they can get a quick answer with one phone call.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Like everyone says you can call. However you can also probably arrange a payment plan for the ETF if you ask nicely.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
when i switched over from at&t to verizon, they closed my at&t account, and i got a bill for my final month that included the etf. just like any normal bill, i got about three weeks to pay it off.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Just a warning about "pro rating" of final bill.

Some carriers will not pro rate the final bill.

Say your billing cycle begans July 16 and ends August 15th. If you try to port your service over to another carrier (like from ATT to Verizon) on August 17th. You will be on the hook for the entire month.

You always pay your post paid cell phone bill in advance (one month in advance).

So if you may want to check your final bill and see if they pro-rated the bill or charged you the full month's bill even though you may have barely used that month.

This happened to me with Sprint 8 years ago. I was only in day 2 of my new billing cycle and Sprint charged me the entire $80 for my monthly bill and didn't pro rate it when I switched to Cingular/ATT at that time.

Best way to avoid all this is to time your port. If billing cycle ends August 17, try to port out around August 15th.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The ETF will show up in your final bill and on your billing cycle will dictate when you'll see it and have to pay for it. That is you'll have less time if you cancel near the end of your billing cycle as opposed to the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.