Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:15 AM   #1
LeoTheLion89
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via MSN to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Yahoo to LeoTheLion89
Ubuntu on PPC

trying to download the latest Ubuntu for Mac i was wondering if PPC and utilize the 64 bit version
LeoTheLion89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:29 AM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

No. Make sure you're downloading the PPC version, not the x86/x64 version.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:46 AM   #3
brangates
macrumors newbie

Are you planning on a dual boot or just Ubuntu. I have a G4 I would like to dual boot with a Linux disto. I'm not sure Ubuntu would be the best for me considering the G4 is so old. I had Ubuntu running on windows machine about the same age and it was way to slow. Maybe I'll just wait for a raspberry pi unless a dual boot is easy.
brangates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:53 AM   #4
LeoTheLion89
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via MSN to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Yahoo to LeoTheLion89
Quote:
Originally Posted by brangates View Post
Are you planning on a dual boot or just Ubuntu. I have a G4 I would like to dual boot with a Linux disto. I'm not sure Ubuntu would be the best for me considering the G4 is so old. I had Ubuntu running on windows machine about the same age and it was way to slow. Maybe I'll just wait for a raspberry pi unless a dual boot is easy.
i was talking dual-boot and there is a less memory-intensive Lubuntu which i do believe uses the Lightweight LXDE GUI
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

I have Linux Mint (partially updated to debian-unstable) running on my dual 1.8GHz QuickSilver and it is useable (pretty much on the same level as Leopard on such HW maybe even faster in some regards).

So the question is what kind of PPC are we talking about ? I doubt anything much below my top-end G4 will be any fun with any current desktop Linux.

If your have one of the better G5s even some heavier as Ubuntu (Gnome) or Kubuntu (KDE) might be worth a try (assuming you find supported PPC versions).

For those one might even consider useing a 64Bit PPC kernel, but I'm not sure wether those are easily available.....
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:40 AM   #6
LeoTheLion89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
I have Linux Mint (partially updated to debian-unstable) running on my dual 1.8GHz QuickSilver and it is useable (pretty much on the same level as Leopard on such HW maybe even faster in some regards).

So the question is what kind of PPC are we talking about ? I doubt anything much below my top-end G4 will be any fun with any current desktop Linux.

If your have one of the better G5s even some heavier as Ubuntu (Gnome) or Kubuntu (KDE) might be worth a try (assuming you find supported PPC versions).

For those one might even consider useing a 64Bit PPC kernel, but I'm not sure wether those are easily available.....
just the two macs in my signature techinally just the eMac right now i dont get my PowerMac til Tuesday
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:44 AM   #7
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Linux with a lighweight GUI (Lubuntu,Mint etc) should be o.k. with a 1GHz G4, just don't expect any miracles
Bug-Creator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:50 AM   #8
LeoTheLion89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
Linux with a lighweight GUI (Lubuntu,Mint etc) should be o.k. with a 1GHz G4, just don't expect any miracles
i did run 10.04 Ubuntu GNOME on my eMac for a bit just to try it seemed to run a tad faster than Leopard but sad truth is there is less PPC Ubuntu apps than there is PPC Mac apps
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:27 AM   #9
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLion89 View Post
... and utilize the 64 bit version
G4s aren't 64bit anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:14 AM   #10
DaKKs
macrumors 6502

I spent years trying to get Ubuntu/Xubuntu and my own Ubuntu based OS running on my various Powerbooks. Never got past the load screen. My Powermac G4 installs and boots, but with obnoxious graphics faults. I haven't tried with the X800XT, but both the R7500 and GF4MX both have the same issue.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:47 AM   #11
heartsglory
macrumors member

Always try out a live cd/DVD before installing. For a Linux distro you could try Ubuntu, Debian, mint Ppc, or even Fedora now has a resurrected PowerPC spin. Arch Linux has a PowerPC spin too.

For those who are more adventurous could try FreeBSD.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:55 PM   #12
GermanyChris
Banned

I like linux more than most people but I've never understood running Linux on old Mac's when there's Tiger.

If this a rebellion against Apple which my latest Linux box is I get it....
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Matthew55904
Banned

As the Thread poster stated I cannot seem to get Ubuntu working at all. I downloaded the PPC version put it on a CD but didnt boot. So i help Option key and its shows up but i go to select it nothing happens screen turns black as its going to load but comes back to the boot screen with odd colours and cannot be booted at all.
Matthew55904 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs