Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Apple Watch

Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

iWatch This Year?

Does anyone else expect to see an all-out iWatch this year? With Siri, Bluetooth 4.0, etc. it can be one incredible device. Frankly, I find the possibility much more exciting than the upcoming new iPhone debut in Sept.
austinguy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
You'd get 1 hour battery life with Bluetooth running.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:41 AM   #3
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Furball View Post
You'd get 1 hour battery life with Bluetooth running.
You are probably thinking of the older implementations of Bluetooth. The current spec allows for 11+ hours of talk time for tiny Bluetooth headsets already on the market.
austinguy23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
You are probably thinking of the older implementations of Bluetooth. The current spec allows for 11+ hours of talk time for tiny Bluetooth headsets already on the market.
Compare that to the 24 hours of music playback that the Nano usually gets. Apple likes to keep battery life the same through generations.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:14 AM   #5
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Compare that to the 24 hours of music playback that the Nano usually gets. Apple likes to keep battery life the same through generations.
It's almost 2013. I haven't seen anyone with an iPod Nano in the past 2 years.

Perhaps it won't be called the "iPod Nano", but Apple will unveil a full fledged watch in the next 12 months that integrates well with Siri via Bluetooth. I'm certain of it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Bluetooth is pointless, it doesn't need to work with your phone. It needs to have wifi with Notification Center.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:42 AM   #7
illitrate23
macrumors 6502

i have a wrist strap for my current gen iPod Nano and i use it to listen to podcasts on the way to work and back. There's 3rd party blue-tooth adapters you can get that plug into the dock, works well, but i need to charge the iPod every evening because it drains the battery quickly.
that said, i also need to charge my iphone each night, so it's not a big deal.
but i'd definitely like to get notifications on the iPod (pretending to be a watch on my wrist) when they arrive on my iphone (in my pocket). hopefully that's the way they go later this year
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
FutureTechHope
macrumors member

Watch Phone (camera + phone)

I would love to see this with an integrated camera and being waterproof. One thing I'm shocked about is, no laptop, tablet or phone has solar panel in the back panel. Think about it, when you don't use the phone flip it and let it recharge with the power of the sun (I know, photovoltaic cells do not harness enough energy to recharge). In the near future tablets, ipods and phones will not require as much energy as they currently do and they will be more like modern day calculators with solar cells (I've had my calculator for 15 years).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:07 AM   #9
tiiim
macrumors regular

I'm sure the wearable computer is someone in Apple's roadmap, this year? who knows.

The problem with the "iWatch" is it got to have all day battery even with heavy use. Also the display got to always be available to look at information at a glance. Wether a quick tab button or the dark screen shows basic notification then you wake it up for information.

The other issue we have is the annoyance of taking it off every night to charge.

I'm all for an iWatch but like Apple always do, they won't make a "me too" product it have to have a certain standard. BT 4.0 deff could help with the battery life though.
tiiim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:49 AM   #10
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Bluetooth is pointless, it doesn't need to work with your phone. It needs to have wifi with Notification Center.
LOL, silly girl. WiFi would drain the battery too quickly and your watch would only be fully functional in WiFi zones if it relied solely on WiFi for Internet connectivity.

Also, Notification Center simply wouldn't work on a tiny screen. An iWatch would support notifications but not "Notification Center".
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

The whole idea of wireless communication is stupid. No thanks. My 6G nano works fine as a watch. The idea of loosing battery life extremely quickly so I don't need to reach into my pocket and pull out my phone is just useless!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 PM   #12
tiiim
macrumors regular

Quote:
The whole idea of wireless communication is stupid. No thanks. My 6G nano works fine as a watch. The idea of loosing battery life extremely quickly so I don't need to reach into my pocket and pull out my phone is just useless!
Well I wouldn't rule it out, I think things will evolve and develop there is something there with wearable computing, I just know yet.
tiiim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiiim View Post
Well I wouldn't rule it out, I think things will evolve and develop there is something there with wearable computing, I just know yet.
Until battery technology matures I don't see it. That's just my opinion though
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:05 PM   #14
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Apple can probably improve battery life for such a device beyond the battery life of today's Blutetooth headsets, but let's examine it conservatively.

Let's say it'll only support speech for 11 hours (on par w/ today's BT headsets) before dying. Are we going to be talking to our watches to send text messages, get weather info, etc. for 11 hours each day? Doubtful. We'd probably only use that feature for say 20 mins total each day, cumulatively. That would mean the device would last about 33 days before requiring a recharge.

But wait, it has to power a screen. Yeah, it has to show the time, temperature, and maybe some other indicators full time but, like other electronic watches today, that consumes an incredibly small amount of power.

And that's assuming Apple doesn't work any of its engineering prowess to improve battery life beyond what is currently on the market.

I think Apple is already laying the groundwork with its "Bluetooth Sharing" feature in iOS 6.
austinguy23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:02 PM   #15
buddha86
macrumors newbie

3rd party solutions

There already are 2 devices like this that I have seen already: the Pebble and the MetaWatch Strata. Both have an e-ink display and are water resistant (working to get them rated). Both started as kickstarter projects. Check em out!
buddha86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

uhhhh no not siri! its not even on ipad 2 so why on a watch?????
aPple nErd is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Apple Watch