Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge reports on images from an anonymous tipster showing off the first photos of accessories for the new Apple Dock connector.

[Images removed at request of Scosche]​
The products appear to come from Scosche and incorporate both a micro USB plug, as well as an adapter for the new iPhone dock connector.

The charger will presumably charge devices that use either the micro USB plug or Apple's new dock connector. The new smaller dock connector has been rumored to be replacing the current 30-pin connector. Photos of the new dock cable have already been leaked. 3rd party accessory makers appear to already be working on compatible devices to be able to provide accessories at or near launch.

iphone_5_dock_ring.jpg

Old dock connector pictured on top, and new smaller dock connector pictured below.

Article Link: Scosche Already Designing New Dock Connector Accessories

Uncle David

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
This is exactly what irritates me about the new design. The loss of the several hundred dollars in peripherals, cases and adapters I'll sustain due to needless redesigns. Going to have to think long and hard about whether to get an iPhone 4S or the new iPhone. :mad:

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
"The products appear to come from Scoshe and incorporate both a micro USB plug, as well as an adapter for the new iPhone dock connector.

The charger will presumably charge devices that use either the micro USB plug or Apple's new dock connector."

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Still don't like how they have the earphone jack at the bottom. It just seems so... wrong.

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Hm

Still don't like how they have the earphone jack at the bottom. It just seems so... wrong.

It's more natural for me so I can just stick It into the poket without worrying about earbud being broken

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
This is exactly what irritates me about the new design. The loss of the several hundred dollars in peripherals, cases and adapters I'll sustain due to needless redesigns. Going to have to think long and hard about whether to get an iPhone 4S or the new iPhone. :mad:

Yes because the case for the 4/4S would fit a longer iPhone :rolleyes:

First they complain that they want a redesign, then they complain because stuff doesn't work anymore. Wake up...this is Apple. They make money on selling you incremental increases year after year. You're either in or your out. I for one am still waiting for an iPod with a good sound quality on their amp, but this will never happen...Apple does what is best for them...

If for the obligatory "Steve wouldn't have allowed that"

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010

did you ever go through the db9, din, ps2, lpt to usb phase? Doesn't sound like it. Those were thousands upon thousands of dollars of very critical equipment made instantly out of date. This always happens, if you don't want/have the funds to cope with the new connector, don't upgrade yet.

I think people don't realize how often they put their phone in upside-down in their pocket.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

They must have had the 30-pin connector for a long time... maybe almost 10 years? I think it's OK to occassionally update, as long as there's a real advantage.

I assume the smaller connector will save space in the phone that could be used for something else (e.g. battery, if nothing else!).

The real question is, why didn't they go with a standard connector?

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts

Not hard to think about at all. Get the 4S and stop complaining. Change is inevitable, and 10+ years with the same connector is an eternity in the mobile world.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Apple spoiled us to the point we lost all sense of reality. This plug has been the same for a very, very long time.

Go check the rest of your electronics and see how many have been constant all these years.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
It's more natural for me so I can just stick It into the poket without worrying about earbud being broken

But if you have the jack at the bottom you have to have your phone upside down in your pocket. I don't like that.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Huh? You can't do this with the headphone jack on the top? You must have strange pockets.

----------

I think people don't realize how often they put their phone in upside-down in their pocket.

Well then they have more than one problem. It's a simple thing to put the phone in either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.