Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi all,

My white 2006 macbook needs to be replace in amonth or two. I can't decide which one to go for, I will be using this a steh main computer and will be sued at home most of the time...say 95% of the time.

I like the fact that the MBA has SSD which makes it faster but I have to compromise on the HD size, for the same amount of money I can get teh MBP with 750gb Hd space but ist not SSD.

I have external hdd, but I like to be able to have evreything in one place, as I am not very good at organizing and have found that moving pics from computer to external HDD is a pain for me, music also for that matter.

But what do you guys suggest, I will be using it for regular activities, mail, internet, etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Either machine will work for your needs.

If portability is high on your list, then the MBA is a better option. If you need more ports or want to upgrade the ram or hard drive the MBP is a better option.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
The MacBook Air is a great machine but from what you have described I think I would go with a MacBook Pro. The ports, expadability, and optical drive I feel has its advantages, and virtually no disadvantage based on the way you describe your usage.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
If it is absolutely between those two computers, I would choose the MacBook Pro as portability does not seem like a huge issue due to your initial post - not that a MBP is not portable, it's just that a MBA is more so. You can always purchase an aftermarket SSD and work out an appropriate storage/speed ratio based on your specific needs.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Do you do most of your work at a desk or on the couch with the comp on your lap? If its on your lap, id get the MBA, its got a lot nicer lap-feel than the pro IMO.

m.demian

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Portability is obviously not a concern if you're going to be using it at home 95% of the time as you've said. In your scenario, I would honestly go with the Pro.

Casual users (not saying you are one) seem to be afraid or don't want to go through the hassle of buying their own SSD and replacing it with the HDD or optical drive, but it's SO easy to swap in a SSD. Literally, the process should not take more than 10-15 minutes and I cannot stress enough how easy it is to do. Not to mention, you can use the HDD that it comes with as a storage unit (plug it in to a desktop at home) or even keep it in the machine itself along with a new SSD.

The choice is pretty clear in my opinion.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
I say MacBook pro you can replace the ram and ssd at any time without paying apple those crazy prices heck today I saw 16gb ram for Mac for only $74 while apple charges $100 more for only 8gb lol

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Get the MBP and swap out to a SSD when prices are comfortable for you through aftermarket.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Portability is obviously not a concern if you're going to be using it at home 95% of the time as you've said. In your scenario, I would honestly go with the Pro.

Casual users (not saying you are one) seem to be afraid or don't want to go through the hassle of buying their own SSD and replacing it with the HDD or optical drive, but it's SO easy to swap in a SSD. Literally, the process should not take more than 10-15 minutes and I cannot stress enough how easy it is to do. Not to mention, you can use the HDD that it comes with as a storage unit (plug it in to a desktop at home) or even keep it in the machine itself along with a new SSD.

The choice is pretty clear in my opinion.

I still like computers with removable drives. If my hard drive dies, I don't want to wait a week for the computer to be serviced.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
MacBook Pro

You should definitely get the MBP... (I have one)
I worked with MBA and I thought the screenresolution was very weak.
Plus the MBP is more portable/stronger.
If you keep your computer on the same place I recommend a iMac though.
They will always be stronger as a laptop.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for your responses, I think I was swayed towards the MBA because of the SSD, and its snappiness. But as you guys mentioned that in the Pro I can add thirdparty SSD sounds good to me.

So I shoudl then just buy the base model with 500gb and not upgrade ram and HDD from Apple.

Which aftermarket SSD and Ram would you guys recommend and from where?

Oh and I use it on my lap sitting on my couch, my current mackbook heats up pretty quickly any issues with the new ones.

Also, hearing some rumors about a rentina 13 coming out end of the year? is there a possibilty. I can wait.

I also have a ipad, but lack of flash keeps me from using it to surf the web.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
If I do go with the base model, and upgrade to SSD and RAM next year, will I be able to get all the data on my HDD to SSD efficiently, without loosing anything or will I have to back up the data and then fresh install and then transfer.

How easy ro difficult this whole process will be?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Short answer: Yes. Just buy an external drive adapter - they are like $10-20. Download a program called "Carbon Copy Cloner." Connect the new SSD to your Mac and "clone" your existing drive to the new SSD. Once that's done, turn the computer all the way off and swap the drives over (there are instructions on apple.com).

Also - it sounds like there will be a 13" retina MBP coming out in September or October of this year. Specs and pricing are unknown; best guess seems to be that the price differential will match the price differential of the 15" MBP. So the base 13" retina would start at $1499. Of course, no one really knows except Apple - and they are not yet saying.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Probably won't add anything to the topic except that I would also go with the Pro. MBA is nice but I wouldn't want to use it as my main computer - maybe that's just the old fashioness in me, but I like to have the option to upgrade my computers - and I did so with both my 13" and 15" MBP. Plus the 13" MBP isn't that heavy if you need to take it somewhere:)

Go with the Pro:)

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
If I don't upgrade to the SSD and stick with the HDD, and get 8gb ram, it will still be faster ans snappier right.

Right now, my macbook has the spinning rainbow and its very annoying.
Also, I can't play any movies online stremaing, it juts can't ahndle all that.

Ia m hoping that the new ones will be able to. Is playing netflix, HBOGo a breeze on these newer machines as I can't play them in my old macbook as they ar every chopy and laggy.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Yes, the base MBP will be snappier than your current Mac.

Unless you NEED the retina, a would go with the base MBP. The retina ones are not user upgradeable so you will need to put out some cash to get the most RAM and largest SSD installed.

Go the MBP with an aftermarket SSD and upgraded RAM. Your wallet will be better off in the long run this way. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.