Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

View Poll Results: Have you been censored by MacRumors?
Yes, they have deleted one of my posts. 97 61.39%
No, I have never had a post deleted. 43 27.22%
I don't know. 18 11.39%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1
nostaws
macrumors 6502

Have you been censored on MacRumors?

What is with MacRumors censoring/removing posts? I believe they have a right to do so (it is their own site). At the same time, I don't think it jibes with the ideals of MacRumors.

I made a post containing no profanity, and made no personal attacks, but compared the front page worthiness of the article posted by Eric Slivka: "New Photos Show Details of Alleged 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell,"

and the article by Jordan Golson: "Laurene Powell Jobs Spotted Next to Chelsea Clinton at Democratic National Convention."

MacRumors deleted the comment.

Have you been censored by MacRumors?
nostaws is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

All the ****ing time

Perhaps it was posted under the iphone forum instead of the site feedback forum such as this one.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
cyks
macrumors 68020

As a long time member here, I would have guessed that you'd know how to contact the mods directly to find out their reasoning instead of starting a thread which is certain to be wastelanded and possibly worse for you.

If you have a problem or concerns: How to contact the moderators and administrators.
cyks is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4
xnickitynickx
macrumors regular

Was it in the wrong section of the forum?
Kinda like this one...

Because that could be why. If you stick things in the right location, and stick to the forum rules, you should be fine.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Yupp lol. Don't try to reason with the moderators by replying back...it's their site to edit as they please I don't mind it, this is a good info site and I don't troll people so I should be good....right? haha
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaws View Post
What is with MacRumors censoring/removing posts? I believe they have a right to do so (it is their own site). At the same time, I don't think it jibes with the ideals of MacRumors.

I made a post containing no profanity, and made no personal attacks, but compared the front page worthiness of the article posted by Eric Slivka: "New Photos Show Details of Alleged 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell,"

and the article by Jordan Golson: "Laurene Powell Jobs Spotted Next to Chelsea Clinton at Democratic National Convention."

MacRumors deleted the comment.

Have you been censored by MacRumors?
Front-page worthiness is something you can debate in the site feedback if you wish. We delete those posts (and other posts) from the main news threads under "off-topic" grounds.

arn
arn is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I've been censored, I've been deleted, I've been warned, and I have had multiple time outs in the past.

However, it has been quite a while since I have run afoul the moderators and hope it stays that way!
dukebound85 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:53 PM   #8
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Ah

Sometimes I can post things a little too matter of factly without consideration of users feelings and I seem to recall a moderator emailing me nicely saying they removed a post so that I could post it again but reworded. That was fine.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 06:37 PM   #9
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

I had a post deleted once and I got a warning, however I did break a rule about correcting someone's spelling error so I was in the wrong. I'm actually glad they are willing to delete and warn instead of just suspending. The incident did make me re-read the rules about posting so in the end it was a good learning experience.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:42 PM   #10
GoreVidal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I've been censored, I've been deleted, I've been warned, and I have had multiple time outs in the past.

However, it has been quite a while since I have run afoul the moderators and hope it stays that way!
Ah yes, I for one bow to our "moderating overlords"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Sometimes I can post things a little too matter of factly without consideration of users feelings and I seem to recall a moderator emailing me nicely saying they removed a post so that I could post it again but reworded. That was fine.
Gods forbid someone's feelings get hurt!
GoreVidal is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 07:56 PM   #11
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

I think things have gotten better. In the past there seemed to be some mods that took things personally and reacted viscerally. These days the mods seem much more fair and not so reactive
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:32 PM   #12
snberk103
macrumors 603

Yes. Never felt it was undeserved. Usually for being off-topic. All-in-all I respect the moderator's assessments.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:40 PM   #13
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

**** No!

Edit: Now, apparently I have been
fun173 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #14
SandboxGeneral

Yes, but only because I broke a rule. Nothing major though and I don't think it had any malice in the moderation at all from the mod team. They do a fine job all around as far as I can tell.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6

Censorship ? Is this a joke ?

You can't expect freedom of speech on a privately owned forum.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:45 PM   #16
srf4real
macrumors 68030

I've gotten away with a lot over the years. Rarely, I have crossed the line.. and been edited by our hard working moderators. Typically, when I have offended or strayed far enough for a mod to step in, I feel that a private message to said mod with explanation, apology, and "keep up the good work" far more effective and gratifying than starting a worthless thread about my lack of adherence to the forum rules.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:06 PM   #17
maflynn

Posts are not removed capriciously nor would the moderation team deem the actions as censorship as we are not looking to prohbit discussions but rather contain them within the boundaries of the rules and stated thread topics.

Posts like +1, me too, lol are frequently removed. Meme posts such as "Jobs would not have allowed this" are also removed as they add nothing to the discussion and frequently derail them.

Other posts that are off topic to the subject matter can be removed if they start derailing a thread and of course any post that violates the rules, such as a member insulting another member will be removed.

In no case do we look to stop or alter discussions, and I can say that we do not take removing a member's post lightly, in fact when in doubt we err on the conservative side and leave it.

If any member believes his post was removed without cause or wishes to dispute the action, then they should fill out the contact us form and the administrators will review the actions and respond.
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:49 PM   #18
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Wait where did my post go????
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:51 PM   #19
turtle777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Censorship ? Is this a joke ?

You can't expect freedom of speech on a privately owned forum.
Sure you can expect it. But you won't get it.

-t
turtle777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:54 PM   #20
nissan.gtp
macrumors 6502

never had any problems
nissan.gtp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:59 PM   #21
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Yep, and for not good reasons either, imo.
Not a fan of a handful of the moderation to be honest.

Pretty much sums it up right here. PMing them back is just useless and a waste of your time. A lot of them feel that they're always 100% right about everything. They'll tell you to report it by using the link at the bottom, but nothing will happen. At the end of the day, your post was already deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
Yupp lol. Don't try to reason with the moderators by replying back...it's their site to edit as they please I don't mind it, this is a good info site and I don't troll people so I should be good....right? haha
But I guess I have to deal with it if I want to use Macrumors.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.
wordoflife is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:02 PM   #22
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

A while ago someone was complaining about anoying flash add on several sites.
My post was deleted after I told him how to remove these adds...
I guess they want to keep this site free.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #23
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Not a fan of a handful of the moderation to be honest.
Heard that, actually there are only a couple that I am not a fan of, it was a few until recently one "retired".
ericrwalker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:06 PM   #24
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Heard that, actually there are only a couple that I am not a fan of, it was a few until recently one "retired".
The only thing is that many of them feel infallible and whenever you try to bring something up, you pretty much get blocked out from giving your opinion.

Sending a PM is useless because they refuse to believe that they might have mesed up.
Clicking "report a problem" isn't going to reverse the problem
Creating a public thread gets deleted (surprised that this one has not been, tbh)

Just my opinion. Don't get offended. I understand that the mods/admins are doing what they think is best for the overall community. Just think that the system is a tad flawed though.

That being said, I can live with it because the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to using this forum. Respect where respect is due. :P
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 01:33 AM   #25
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

just recently I got a message deleted ... I posted in the "official new member Thread"; My bad. Not really censorship; more housekeeping.
Not sure if there is any other case; not always read the crap I wrote before.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback